Australian computer buying/returning help!

magicbennie

First of all, this is not me. A friend recently brought this computer on ebay: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4770-3-4GHz-16GB-2TB-HDD-DUAL-24-LED-GT610-2GB-USB3-WIN-8-/181227151373?pt=AU_comp_dekstop&hash=item2a31fae00d

He brought this before I was able to speak the words of wisdom: "Oh hell no, build one that is cheaper and much more powerful!"

It is being sent right now (He has not received the computer yet). He wanted a gaming/rendering rig and this is certainly not a very good one (GPU is GT610, But CPU is good).

He contacted the seller on ebay (which is a business) who said they can't refund it.

He is based in perth australia, is there a way, possibly through something like the consumer guarantees act that he could be refunded?

Any and all help is appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.5Ghz RAM: 8GB GPU: HD Radeon 7470M (Potato) Mobo: No idea, probably a pumpkin.

My computer is a laptop.

BF3 on minimum settings = 25fps @ 720p

First of all, this is not me. A friend recently brought this computer on ebay: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Core-i7-4770-3-4GHz-16GB-2TB-HDD-DUAL-24-LED-GT610-2GB-USB3-WIN-8-/181227151373?pt=AU_comp_dekstop&hash=item2a31fae00d

He brought this before I was able to speak the words of wisdom: "Oh hell no, build one that is cheaper and much more powerful!"

It is being sent right now (He has not received the computer yet). He wanted a gaming/rendering rig and this is certainly not a very good one (GPU is GT610, But CPU is good).

He contacted the seller on ebay (which is a business) who said they can't refund it.

He is based in perth australia, is there a way, possibly through something like the consumer guarantees act that he could be refunded?

Any and all help is appreciated!

There's got to be some way,maybe through some consumer protection policy ebay has. look into that. Also might be some aussie laws in place for this.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says under their Warranty services it can be returned if it has issues under 30 days, buyer pays shipping. They can't (more likely won't) refund it if it's in mid-ship to the buyer, and definitely shouldn't refund it until they have the computer back. That's just common eBay practice.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

There's got to be some way,maybe through some consumer protection policy ebay has. look into that. Also might be some aussie laws in place for this.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I live in NZ, so I don't know what laws they have over there. :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 2450M @ 2.5Ghz RAM: 8GB GPU: HD Radeon 7470M (Potato) Mobo: No idea, probably a pumpkin.

My computer is a laptop.

It says under their Warranty services it can be returned if it has issues under 30 days, buyer pays shipping. They can't (more likely won't) refund it if it's in mid-ship to the buyer, and definitely shouldn't refund it until they have the computer back. That's just common eBay practice.

Its not broken through, he has not even got it yet. How can he return it if it works fine when he gets it?

My computer is a laptop.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I live in NZ, so I don't know what laws they have over there. :(

Try calling ebay customer support 

wow 1.4k and it only has a GT610 2GB wow.

Such power. many wow :P

My computer is a laptop.

That post is only made more amazing by your *intensifies* avatar. Thank you. Also the proper step to take in this situation is for him to think about a large purchase, BEFORE purchasing 

Its not broken through, he has not even got it yet. How can he return it if it works fine when he gets it?

He may not be able to. He got what he paid for, and if it isn't broken, and if the seller doesn't have a return policy when the item is not broken then the seller is under no obligation to refund the item.

In my experiences, bigger sellers like this will usually refund it if you pester them enough and send them the system back, but it can be difficult when you suddenly change your mind before it even got to you (or your friend). I mean, you could always snap a stick of RAM and say it was loose inside the case and got jarred during shipping... but that's morally frowned on. I would just wait for your friend to get the computer, explain the situation to the seller, and see what they say. Threatening negative feedback sometimes works, and he doesn't have a particularly high feedback count compared to other people.

Either way, there is no way he's getting all of his money back since the return shipping charge will be expensive, so that's something to consider too.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Post 1000

& Make it look like something was broke. Short out the motherboard or something, or like knock the packaging and say it was damaged during shipping.

It's a risk but it's better then knowing you spent that much money on a build that bad. (P2P Wise)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post 1000

& Make it look like something was broke. Short out the motherboard or something, or like knock the packaging and say it was damaged during shipping.

It's a risk but it's better then knowing you spent that much money on a build that bad. (P2P Wise)

...Dick move. People need to think through their own purchases first before ripping someone else off.

Sorry mate, but Australian consumer law states the seller is only legally bound to refund money if the product is broken/faulty, does not meet the description or cannot perform a specific task that it was sold as being able to do. Because the parts are clearly listed, he is not entitled to a refund unless the unit is broken/faulty.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

...Dick move. People need to think through their own purchases first before ripping someone else off.

I didn't say it was the right thing to do. Simply stating that if it can only be returned if faulty, make it faulty.

That post is only made more amazing by your *intensifies* avatar. Thank you. Also the proper step to take in this situation is for him to think about a large purchase, BEFORE purchasing 

He not the most tech-savvy person. The page made the computer look much better than it was :(

My computer is a laptop.

I didn't say it was the right thing to do. Simply stating that if it can only be returned if faulty, make it faulty.

Dick move to suggest it.

Dick move to suggest it.

I'm aware I'm a dick thank you for reiterating it. Would you like a cookie? :D

He not the most tech-savvy person. The page made the computer look much better than it was :(

Sorry wasnt trying to insult him, I have to deal with plenty of friends that arent tech savvy. My point is that is a very large purchase. If he knows he isnt tech savvy then you would think he would contact someone first.

I'm aware I'm a dick thank you for reiterating it. Would you like a cookie? :D

No less than 3 ty.

No less than 3 ty.

Too bad you get nothing. I'm a dick remember?

@ OP Let me know if you come to a decision on what to do, I'll be interested in finding out what happens.

Sorry mate, but Australian consumer law states the seller is only legally bound to refund money if the product is broken/faulty, does not meet the description or cannot perform a specific task that it was sold as being able to do. Because the parts are clearly listed, he is not entitled to a refund unless the unit is broken/faulty.

So... thats it. If the seller wont refund, they don't have to. Shit.

Well I can say he won't be damaging it on purpose to get a refund, so yeah.

My computer is a laptop.

So... thats it. If the seller wont refund, they don't have to. Shit.

Well I can say he won't be damaging it on purpose to get a refund, so yeah.

Yeah, as much as  I hate these sellers that prey on people not well informed, It's best for hime to give negative feedback and claim the computer wasn't up to the task advertised, then at least others will be less likely to be duped by him.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No less than 3 ty.

Don´t worry :) I am not a dick so have all the cookies :)

chocolate_cookies.jpg

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

My solution requires you to have the balls to lie through your teeth.

If i were you i would screw with a stick of ram and return it saying it was dead upon delivery, just quickly run 2amps through the ram and you're good.

return it for MONETARY refund, not a replacement, re-read the warranty terms to ensure this is possible before doing this.

In all honesty you wouldn't be in this mess if your friend did the slightest amount of research towards the product they planned on buying.

Good luck enforcing the consumer guarantees act, you wont even get this through VCAT before it costs you thousands.

tl;dr - research what you want, don't be stupid, to return it you will require balls and a good ability to lie through your teeth.