Australian computer buying/returning help!

magicbennie

wow your upset over that set for $1400 you get a 4770k 16gb ram and 2, 24" screens thats cheap as hell dont send it back just order a video card to go in it and you will be set thats a good setup for that price.

Anyone keen for some online gaming hit me up!

My solution requires you to have the balls to lie through your teeth.

If i were you i would screw with a stick of ram and return it saying it was dead upon delivery, just quickly run 2amps through the ram and you're good.

return it for MONETARY refund, not a replacement, re-read the warranty terms to ensure this is possible before doing this.

In all honesty you wouldn't be in this mess if your friend did the slightest amount of research towards the product they planned on buying.

Good luck enforcing the consumer guarantees act, you wont even get this through VCAT before it costs you thousands.

tl;dr - research what you want, don't be stupid, to return it you will require balls and a good ability to lie through your teeth.

Whilst I don't endorse dishonesty, it was his friend who bought without researching and therefore his friends mistake.  To address the other concerns, if you have proof you sent the item back and it was indeed faulty, Paypal will refund your money, if you paid with Visa then you can make a claim through them, I started the process for a purchase I made over the phone and visa was willing to reverse the transaction sol long as I had proof the product went back to the seller and a professional witness to say the product was faulty. In short you shouldn't have to go near vcat, Although the ombudsman or consumer affairs should be your first port of call.

wow your upset over that set for $1400 you get a 4770k 16gb ram and 2, 24" screens thats cheap as hell dont send it back just order a video card to go in it and you will be set thats a good setup for that price.

Worst case scenario is he could have built it for $200 less with a better PSU.  Taking that into account he should just wear it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Whilst I don't endorse dishonesty, it was his friend who bought without researching and therefore his friends mistake.  To address the other concerns, if you have proof you sent the item back and it was indeed faulty, Paypal will refund your money, if you paid with Visa then you can make a claim through them, I started the process for a purchase I made over the phone and visa was willing to reverse the transaction sol long as I had proof the product went back to the seller and a professional witness to say the product was faulty. In short you shouldn't have to go near vcat, Although the ombudsman or consumer affairs should be your first port of call.

Worst case scenario is he could have built it for $200 less with a better PSU.  Taking that into account he should just wear it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Hmm yeah i don't know hes in new zealand so 1400 is as cheap as it comes around here im in australia and just built a computer and theres no way in tell i could have ordered could have even built something my self for that cheap there are so many taxes and mark ups very similar in new zealand too.

Has the friend asked it the vendor is willing to switch in a better gpu for some fee?

Given how expensive pc stuff is in your part of the world, it doesn't seem that bad a deal to me. From what I can see, it wasn't advertised as a gaming machine.

Worst case: the friend has a decent general purpose system. He can save up for a gaming gpu and then an ssd.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Hmm yeah i don't know hes in new zealand so 1400 is as cheap as it comes around here im in australia and just built a computer and theres no way in tell i could have ordered could have even built something my self for that cheap there are so many taxes and mark ups very similar in new zealand too.

it took me a while to find your response inside my quote :D

I guess it depends what deals you get and where you buy etc etc, my system was 700 without the monitor.  downgrade the GPU to a 610 and add the CPU upgrade, extra RAM and 2 monitors and the price comes in around $1200.  From CPL nottinghill. Vic.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

it took me a while to find your response inside my quote :D

I guess it depends what deals you get and where you buy etc etc, my system was 700 without the monitor.  downgrade the GPU to a 610 and add the CPU upgrade, extra RAM and 2 monitors and the price comes in around $1200.  From CPL nottinghill. Vic.

oh nice well i'm going to order from there more often lol i just usually get my gear from pc case gear the easy way to go most of the time

Look for fine print. For example, it states that you will be receiving a "HUGE 24" LCD - Acer FULL HD" in one section. In another, it says the brand you get is LG. I would wait for it to arrive, email them and say that the advertisement is incorrect and you received an Acer instead of an LG monitor, or vice versa. Under Australian law they must offer you a replacement or refund. Ask for a refund.

Of course, they might decline and say it's not a major deal. In that case, I would threaten legal action and they would probably comply.

I'm not saying this is what you should do, I'm just giving you options :P

Bear in mind this actually is not that bad of a deal. Yes, the components are uneven and will bottleneck (GT 610 and i7-4770 for example), but if you were to build it yourself it would actually come to a very similar price (probably $50 less to DIY).

EDIT: After spec'ing the system up on PC Case Gear, it comes to $1423.50 + shipping. The listing is $1489, so realistically it isn't that harsh of a deal. Could have been worse.

EDIT again: If you arrive at a price less than that, you probably forgot to add in the disk drive, bluetooth adapter, Windows 8, keyboard/mouse, speakers, and gigabit network card. Not necessarily essential components, but you do still get them.

EDIT again: If you arrive at a price less than that, you probably forgot to add in the disk drive, bluetooth adapter, Windows 8, keyboard/mouse, speakers, and gigabit network card. Not necessarily essential components, but you do still get them.

Yes, I forgot to ad win 8, and I laready had a dvd drive. and hdd.  so that explains the $200 discrepancy I had.  Still, it's good to know he's not getting ripped of other than getting a crap GPU.

I would say its not a total loss. He is getting 2x 24 inch monitors probably 1080p

I would say. just suck it up and buy the rig a real GPU and your set.

dont break it and send it back

Could always sell one of the 2 monitors and put that towards a new GPU