POLL - Current CPU State 2017

Not_Sean

CPU Upgrades 2017  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your Plan for 2017

• Stay with What I got
    • Ryzen
    • Intel Coffee

So just wondering with a show of hands, Whats you plans for CPU's in 2017.

Let me give a bit of a explanation on each one

1. Stay with what I got:

For me with a i7-3770 & i5-4690K I really see very very little reason to upgrade as I just won't see the FPS/$ as its new ram and MB. While I would love to upgrade to Ryzen I can't justify it.

2. Ryzen:

Yes its not the best, but the Value for money is insane and it is not like they are performing badly, just not as great as some of the intels. 

3. Intel coffee 

Its all about the FPS baby! Price is not much of a concern or Ryzen just isn't Developed enough for me. 

Lets try keep a flame war out of this. I'm more curious to see what people are planning with this been such a huge year for the CPU wars. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I'm a bit of a cheap ass and love my price to performance, which is why i got Ryzen :P 

I mainly game so I know that Intel would have been better(and cost more) but the Ryzen does come in handy when I occasionally stream, and I only play 1080p 75hz anyway, which Ryzen easily pushes out.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I'm a bit of a cheap ass and love my price to performance, which is why i got Ryzen :P 

I mainly game so I know that Intel would have been better(and cost more) but the Ryzen does come in handy when I occasionally stream, and I only play 1080p 75hz anyway, which Ryzen easily pushes out.

Thats exactly my thought process, If I were to do any upgrade it would be to a i7-4790K and call it a day, keep dreaming of building another Ryzen but the cheap ass inside me just doesn't see any point to it at all when its not like my FPS is low, that and I find myself gaming a lot less these days. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1. Stay with what I got:
Ryzen 1800x

Works great with parallel compute in c#

2 minutes ago, Raldo94 said:

1. Stay with what I got:
Ryzen 1800x

Works great with parallel compute in c#

hahaha think you would fall under the Ryzen vote than as you did do the upgrade :P was meaning the Stay with what I got thing more for guys with 6th gen/AMD FX  and earlier :P

Redstone:

Obsidian:

might go for a 7700K off the used market if Coffee Lake makes people upgrade crazy :D otherwise im staying with what i have, which is an I7 4790K clocked anywhere from 4.5GHz to 5.1GHz depending on what im doing and wether or not it feels like its a good day or not lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

might buy Ryzen 3, but my i5-750 is still doing great. I might get an i7-870 though, we'll see.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

X58 is staying for a while more. Iv got no need for more power anyways. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 minute ago, ImadKnight said:

X58 is staying for a while more. Iv got no need for more power anyways. 

I know it's not X58, but I agree, I'm still on an 1156 i5 and the only thing that's bad about it is the power draw.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

23 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I'm happy with my i7 5930K with its default settings, yeah 3.5 Ghz lol. It keeps up with my uses and to be frank, until there's a huge IPC performance bump, I'll stay with my X99 system. Plus, I love my motherboard so, yeah I don't want to steer away from EVGA's motherboards. Once I start seeing my processor holding me back. I will look into upgrading.

It depends on the point of view though, an i7-5930K at 3,5GHz has a relatively bad singlethreaded performance (slower than an i5-4590 in SC tests) and I'm almost certain that overclocking would give you performance benefits considering your GPU setup.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

I know it's not X58, but I agree, I'm still on an 1156 i5 and the only thing that's bad about it is the power draw.

I mean. I see people constantly rave about better and better performance, and I keep thinking to myself "why would I possibly need that?". Sure, a better GPU would be nice for CAD/games, but otherwise even this Xeon is overkill for me. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

I mean. I see people constantly rave about better and better performance, and I keep thinking to myself "why would I possibly need that?". Sure, a better GPU would be nice for CAD/games, but otherwise even this Xeon is overkill for me. 

All I need is a new PSU and a nice overclock on my 5870 and I'm set for the next few years.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Add an option for LGA1366 Xeon overclocked as much as I can on air and I can vote...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

All I need is a new PSU and a nice overclock on my 5870 and I'm set for the next few years.

I had a 5770, and damn was it slow. OCing doesn't do much in the way of GPU performance anyway, maybe a few FPS. 

I'm staying with what I got. The two computers I use most have a Ryzen 7 1700 and an i7-6700T in them, and I see no real reason to upgrade either one anytime soon. If I do make a change, it would be swapping out my Gaming X 1070 for a Founder's Edition, but even that seems unnecessary.

Laptops, on the other hand...*looks over at his Thinkpad T500 and X61T*

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

26 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Once I start seeing my processor holding me back. I will look into upgrading.

Or you know.....overclocking

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I already got Ryzen like 2-3 months ago lol. Huge improvement over my old 7870k

Well for my desktop I think my 4770k is still good for a while. And for my laptop I got a 6820hk, so the only thing that would even make me consider upgrading that would be if new GPUs come out and I get the new CPU as part of the deal. Other than that it does not make financial sense for me, nor would I perceive a difference most of the time.

For the rest of 2017 I am in wait and see mode - I am planning on pulling the trigger early 2018. So for me it is "stay with what I have" but mostly because I just upgraded to a TB of SSD and a faster GPU earlier this year so my budget is blown for 2017...2018 on the other hand is another story.

Problem is that to upgrade to coffee lake or ryzen, I would need a new motherboard. I might as well upgrade to an i7 7700 or something

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So what I'm drawing from this, and the poll seems to support it is thanks to intel milking CPU's for everything they worth and AMD been unable to compete even though this is one of the times to get a CPU even at the "Best" the difference just isn't worth the money. 

That said this is also slightly skewed by many on here having K CPU's so soon as they slow down just OC them a bit more. very interesting and not something people mention when suggesting buying a K over a locked one. 

Think next year is going to be very interesting, and can't wait for the market share reports on consumer CPU's (Will take a long time for Servers to see change as most companies only change them every 3-5years) 

Redstone:

Obsidian: