Service Provider Suggestions

Currently I use Ting with my Samsung Galaxy S7, and have been using it for around two years without any major issues (Aside from shit coverage in some areas that I frequent), however I'm wanting to switch to a different service provider as Ting gets too expensive once you start using a reasonable amount of minutes/texts/data.

I'm located in SE Michigan, USA. I'd prefer to keep the plan to $40 USD maximum.

A few things I want from it...

- Unlimited talk and text

- At least 2GB of data

- Tethering enabled (I sometimes need to use my laptop tethered to my phone, and would rather not have to pay extra for this.)

- Good coverage (4G/LTE)

- Decent data speeds (At least 4Mb/s is good)

- Reasonable technical support (As long as they're better than Comcast, I can handle them.)

- Supports BYOD (I don't want to have to buy a new phone, I'd rather just bring my Galaxy S7 [International Unlocked, GSM] over with me)

I'm considering Cricket right now, though have heard fairly mixed reviews on it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm using Verizon's prepaid service where you simply pay for service from them and use the provided SIM card. You can find the kits at Walmart for $50 and they come with one month of service already. My $40 plan gives me 3GB of data, but if you put a card on your account for auto-renewal every month, they'll give you an extra 2GB of data.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether they offer tethering, as I've never tried.

Ting exists in the US. Well that's news to me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

I'm using Verizon's prepaid service where you simply pay for service from them and use the provided SIM card. You can find the kits at Walmart for $50 and they come with one month of service already. My $40 plan gives me 3GB of data, but if you put a card on your account for auto-renewal every month, they'll give you an extra 2GB of data.

The only thing I'm unsure about is whether they offer tethering, as I've never tried.

Verizon uses CDMA, and BYOD is shoddy with them. Tethering costs extra.

Being a former Cricket and Verizon member, and currently with AT&T, the only things keeping me from switching back to Verizon are

A) Phone payments on one of my S8s

B) Tethering and hotspot

C) Both my phones are on a business plan, so I'm effectively paying $40 per phone for unlimited data, talk, and text. Would cost $100+ on any other halfway decent carrier.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Verizon uses CDMA, and BYOD is shoddy with them. Tethering costs extra.

Being a former Cricket and Verizon member, and currently with AT&T, the only things keeping me from switching back to Verizon are

A) Phone payments on one of my S8s

B) Tethering and hotspot

C) Both my phones are on a business plan, so I'm effectively paying $40 per phone for unlimited data, talk, and text. Would cost $100+ on any other halfway decent carrier.

Verizon has free hotspot (and has had for at least three years). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Found some other AT&T MVNOs...

- Black Wireless - $30/mo unlimited talk/text, 2.5GB fast 4G LTE, 128kbps after first 2.5GB per month

- H2O Wireless - $30/mo unlimited talk/text, 3GB 4G LTE, 2G after first 3GB per month

Has anyone here used any of these three?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Verizon has free hotspot (and has had for at least three years). 

Only seeing it on their new unlimited plan, which is not three years old, pretty sure it isn't even a year old. And even then, limited by speed (600Kbps), unless you, drum roll, pay more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Only seeing it on their new unlimited plan, which is not three years old, pretty sure it isn't even a year old. And even then, limited by speed (600Kbps), unless you, drum roll, pay more.

I've been able to use my phone as a hotspot for free for the past three years. And I've been on the Verizon Plan and the My Everything Plan before that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I've been able to use my phone as a hotspot for free for the past three years. And I've been on the Verizon Plan and the My Everything Plan before that. 

Unless you're running a custom ROM or circumvented Verizon via update or custom script, you've been paying for it without realizing it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Unless you're running a custom ROM or circumvented Verizon via update or custom script, you've been paying for it without realizing it.

I don't pay for it. I carefully keep track of my bill. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't pay for it. I carefully keep track of my bill. 

Then you've done something to circumvent it. Or you don't quite understand your bill.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Then you've done something to circumvent it. Or you don't quite understand your bill.

I understand my bill perfectly, and no I have not. I just turn mobile hotspot on and off. That's it. And I know for a fact I don't pay for it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I guess the other option here is AT&T PREPAID if that's any good.

I understand my bill perfectly, and no I have not. I just turn mobile hotspot on and off. That's it. 

At no point in the past has Verizon allowed mobile hotspot as a free feature on stock ROMs on anything less than multiple line business plans, and the minimum has been 10 lines on that.

It's either one, or the other. Unless you are lying.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Cricket seems to have a pretty good plan for $35/month. Unlimited talk/text, including to Canada and Mexico if that turns you on. 4GB data with no overages, 8mbs max speed. They use AT&T networks so coverage should be fairly good coverage. No contract and its BYOP.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

At no point in the past has Verizon allowed mobile hotspot as a free feature on stock ROMs on anything less than multiple line business plans, and the minimum has been 10 lines on that.

It's either one, or the other. Unless you are lying.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.48.17 PM.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.48.17 PM.png

Those are new plans, none of which existed as they do now prior to Verizon adding unlimited. Past 2 years, Verizon has been restructuring their plan hierachy. I was a customer from late 2014 to late 2016, for exactly 2 years. I qualified to "renegotiate" my contract when every new plan came out. None of them ever had mobile hotspot included, it was always an addon that I could pay inyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Those are new plans, none of which existed as they do now prior to Verizon adding unlimited. Past 2 years, Verizon has been restructuring their plan hierachy. I was a customer from late 2014 to late 2016, for exactly 2 years. I qualified to "renegotiate" my contract when every new plan came out. None of them ever had mobile hotspot included, it was always an addon that I could pay inyo.

The "Verizon Plan" is two years old and the "My Everything Plan" is four years old. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The "Verizon Plan" is two years old and the "My Everything Plan" is four years old. 

The names are, the actual plans are rather recent.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The names are, the actual plans are rather recent.

And yet, somehow I've gotten free mobile hotspot for the last four years on those plans. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And yet, somehow I've gotten free mobile hotspot for the last four years on those plans. 

And somehow, no one else has without rooting to install updates without Verizon's involvement or running custom roms.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And somehow, no one else has without rooting to install updates without Verizon's involvement or running custom roms.

http://techland.time.com/2012/06/13/verizon-share-everything-plans/

2012, the "More Everything Plan" includes free wifi. 

And it was still true in 2014: http://techland.time.com/2014/02/04/hotspot-share-your-phones-mobile-data-with-other-devices/

Still free in 2015: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-201509100800--tms--kplngmpctnkm-a20151002-20151002-story.html 

And I'm sure I'll see the exact same things for any version of the More Everything and Verizon Plan regardless of what year I look at between 2014 (if not earlier) and now. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I thought a factory unlocked phone wouldn't give two craps about carrier hotspot restrictions, like with custom roms.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I thought a factory unlocked phone wouldn't give two craps about carrier hotspot restrictions, like with custom roms.

Stock ROMs verify if hotspot is an available feature. Both my S8s, and technically every S8, are manufacturer unlocked, and they verify that I can use hotspot or tethering every time I use it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.