Need a text\code editor suggestion

Go to solution Solved by noisebomb44,

But seriously, I don't think there are a lot of full gui editors that has the sublime minimap and the other things you needed. I don't get why you want a gui anyway, I've been using the gui hellhole of visual studio for a few years, and I'm so happy I made the switch to no gui with vim (for both health and productivity reasons). But maybe you just don't have the same problems as me. Anyways, good luck finding what you need.

Hi there.

I wanted to ask for an advice in picking some (crossplatform) code editor. I'm fine with sublime text, but it's not free and $70 for a license is kind'a... much. I don't need any compilators built in (using eclipse for java projects). Document minimap is a must-have feature.

I'm using atom right now, but it has quite high cpu & ram usage, resulting in enormous battery drain (I mean, too much for a text editor), also it takes a lot of hdd space.

Of course, I could do anything else (xsl, js, sql) in eclipse, but it's not that comfortable. Still, it may be the best option for now.

Can u suggest something else, please?

It has to be crossplatform (win, osx, linux) and freeware (highly prefered).

Thanks!

Get vim, the lifetime text editor. I've pretty recently (a few months ago) made the switch, and it's easily worth it. It's 100% free, really customizable, has support for pretty much every single programming language and human language and runs on everything (even android). Here is the document minimap you needed https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap . I know it might seem really hard to get into (which it could be), but when you do, it's really worth it. Also, just a tip, I would start with using neovim instead of standard vim, as it supports 99% of all normal vim plugins, but also has a few exclusive plugins and runs a lot better.

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

10 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

Get vim, the lifetime text editor. I've pretty recently (a few months ago) made the switch, and it's easily worth it. It's 100% free, really customizable, has support for pretty much every single programming language and human language and runs on everything (even android). Here is the document minimap you needed https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap . I know it might seem really hard to get into (which it could be), but when you do, it's really worth it. Also, just a tip, I would start with using neovim instead of standard vim, as it supports 99% of all normal vim plugins, but also has a few exclusive plugins and runs a lot better.

I use vim on a everyday basis. It's a very powerful and nice editor, but I can't work with large files having pseudo-gui. I mean, a 'real' gui is desired.

14 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Notepadqq is a notepad++ Linux clone

http://notepadqq.altervista.org/wp/download/

Tried, but something stopped me, don't really remember what. Thanks anyways!

9 minutes ago, Slippery Vagoo said:

you could always go no GUI (insert that one emoji people use for jokes)

Sure, but, since I work with vim and other console apps for quite a long time, it will be a PITA.

The thing I'm trying to say is that I went to full gui apps after pseudo-gui ones. Just can't handle (fast enough) large projects without it.

Maybe I should even say, that I need one another text editor, except used vim :D

edit: grammar

2 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Visual Studio Code?

Thought about it, but keeping as a 'backup' option. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Maybe I should even say, that I need one another text editor, except used vim :D

Maybe you could try emacs then, hah!

But seriously, I don't think there are a lot of full gui editors that has the sublime minimap and the other things you needed. I don't get why you want a gui anyway, I've been using the gui hellhole of visual studio for a few years, and I'm so happy I made the switch to no gui with vim (for both health and productivity reasons). But maybe you just don't have the same problems as me. Anyways, good luck finding what you need.

3 minutes ago, noisebomb44 said:

Maybe you could try emacs then, hah!

I would rather experience some PITA and stick to the vim fully :D

Anyways, I see that my current combo of atom + vim is fine. I could have gone with separate editors for each OS, but it's just stupid.

1 minute ago, noisebomb44 said:

Thanks, man.

Actually, I have an opposite situation: going gui after using vim. Will try reverting a bit and staying in a console.

1 hour ago, paprikman said:

It's not crossplatform.

I've never used Notepad++ but you should be able to use it with the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer. If you're on a Debian based Linux distribution you can install it with the package wine assuming you have a repo containing it already added. If you dont have the repos or are using a Mac, you can find further details on installation at winehq.org

If you're on linux there should be a multitude of IDEs you can choose from, and on Mac I hear that some people use a program called Textmate.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

4 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

I've never used Notepad++ but you should be able to use it with the Wine Windows Compatibility Layer. If you're on a Debian based Linux distribution you can install it with the package wine assuming you have a repo containing it already added. If you dont have the repos or are using a Mac, you can find further details on installation at winehq.org

If you're on linux there should be a multitude of IDEs you can choose from, and on Mac I hear that some people use a program called Textmate.

I use all three: win, mac and linux.

As long as there's notepadqq, I'd prefer it rather than using wine. Sure, I can use a textmate, it's a good editor, but my point is to have same things on every system. As for now, atom does it good enough, except mentioned system load, which makes it bad for a mac laptop.

The most obvious way I see is to have different apps on each platform and configure them to be as similar as possible. Or at least to use textmate instead of atom on mac.

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

I use all three: win, mac and linux.

As long as there's notepadqq, I'd prefer it rather than using wine. Sure, I can use a textmate, it's a good editor, but my point is to have same things on every system. As for now, atom does it good enough, except mentioned system load, which makes it bad for a mac laptop.

The most obvious way I see is to have different apps on each platform and configure them to be as similar as possible. Or at least to use textmate instead of atom on mac.

Hmm... Well, I don't know of any good cross-platform IDEs; I've been using Windows 10 just a little over a year now for school so I'm out of touch on what IDEs are good on Linux (Although I usually used Gedit for my coding needs). 

maybe it might be a good idea to write your own IDE? It's an idea I've been personally considering seeing as I'm writing a compilable language based on JavaScript as a means of encouraging myself to proactively learn C++

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

Hmm... Well, I don't know of any good cross-platform IDEs; I've been using Windows 10 just a little over a year now for school so I'm out of touch on what IDEs are good on Linux (Although I usually used Gedit for my coding needs). 

maybe it might be a good idea to write your own IDE? It's an idea I've been personally considering seeing as I'm writing a compilable language based on JavaScript as a means of encouraging myself to proactively learn C++

I've thought about that just that day. Actually, I don't need an IDE, just a code editor. And yes, I can implement that, but creating one for mac can be a problem.

Just now, paprikman said:

I've thought about that just that day. Actually, I don't need an IDE, just a code editor. And yes, I can implement that, but creating one for mac can be a problem.

How so? I've never developed on anything for Mac, so this is something I'm actually curious about.