What's with the lack of Ryzen mobos?

minervx

Very few have wifi.  Very few smaller form factor options exist.  

Building a mini ITX Ryzen build is pointless because if a decent mobo costs 115 minimum then its no better value than an Intel build

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Asus will release mITX in October.

May be worth waiting.

Remeber that mostly VRMs on mITX are high end, so they are more expensive

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

I'm doing an ITX Ryzen build personally. I know the motherboards are expensive but the multi-threaded Ryzen performance is perfect for my needs so it's incredible value regardless

- Räbo

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Asus will release mITX in October.

May be worth waiting.

Remeber that mostly VRMs on mITX are high end, so they are more expensive

Do you have any other details about this? If that will bring down prices significantly it might be worth it for me to wait a month

- Räbo

2 minutes ago, Rabo said:

Do you have any other details about this? If that will bring down prices significantly it might be worth it for me to wait a month

Maybe their B350-I could be cheaper.

There are no details sadly

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Maybe their B350-I could be cheaper.

There are no details sadly

Interesting - the b350 was the one I had been looking at. Thanks for the info

- Räbo

26 minutes ago, minervx said:

Very few have wifi.

very few people use wifi on desktops as most people know how to plug wires in by now

1 hour ago, emosun said:

very few people use wifi on desktops as most people know how to plug wires in by now

WiFi on a motherboard (especially mATX or ITX) is huge for people like me who bring their PC to LAN parties and events

- Räbo

1 minute ago, Rabo said:

WiFi on a motherboard (especially mATX or ITX) is huge for people like me who bring their PC to LAN parties and events

well the percentage of people who don't go to lan parties is higher than the percentage that do , so naturally they'll exclude lan party features that can be added later with a 20$ usb wifi stick.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

well the percentage of people who don't go to lan parties is higher than the percentage that do , so naturally they'll exclude lan party features that can be added later with a 20$ usb wifi stick.

USB Wifi is garbage. I happen to not be able to easily run a wire to my computer and so I need wifi. If I want to go mITX, then I need onboard wifi if I also want a GPU. 

mITX boards should either include Wifi or have a spot for a Wifi chip that isn't the main PCIE slot/s.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I understand that not everyone has use for WiFi and it's not strange for manufacturers to exclude the feature - I'm just correcting your assumption that there aren't common valid reasons for people to use WiFi

- Räbo

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

USB Wifi is garbage.

your usb wifi is garbage , is what you meant. 

Just now, emosun said:

your usb wifi is garbage , is what you meant. 

No, I mean all USB wifi is garbage. PCIE Wifi options are far superior across the board. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, Rabo said:

I understand that not everyone has use for WiFi and it's not strange for manufacturers to exclude the feature

well It's important to understand that the MAJORITY doesn't need wifi and that's why they exclude it. Usually machines that are stationary will opt for a stationary connection.

so if they can make the board cheaper for the majority that are buying it they will. while the minority that need wifi have lots of usb/pcie options they can add onto it.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

PCIE Wifi options are far superior across the board.

except on boards that don't have a lot of pci-e available , they also aren't hot plugable , and I suppose of you need speed higher than 5 Gbit/s....

so yeah across the board provided the board didn't include a few sections...

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

except on boards that don't have a lot of pci-e available

Hmmm...now if only motherboard manufacturers would just put a wifi chip on the board or an M.2 wifi slot. If only I had mentioned that in my post....

29 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

mITX boards should either include Wifi or have a spot for a Wifi chip that isn't the main PCIE slot/s.

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

they also aren't hot plugable

And you need to frequently plug and unplug wifi because......

and I suppose of you need speed higher than Gbit/s....

Or if you want a connection that is actually stable. 

22 minutes ago, emosun said:

well It's important to understand that the MAJORITY doesn't need wifi and that's why they exclude it. Usually machines that are stationary will opt for a stationary connection.

mITX doesn't exactly fall into the category of majority though. A lot of mITX users went that route because of the portability factor and also, mITX boards are lacking PCIE slots -- and that is generally why there is a higher percentage of wifi-capable mITX boards. 

On LGA1151, there are: 

• 15 ATX boards with WiFi (out of 221) --> 6.8%
  • 5 EATX (out of 9) --> 55.6%
  • 1 mATX (out of 161) --> .6% (this doesn't seem right, I want to guess PCPP is having a problem)
  • 31 mITX (out of 51) --> 60.7%

Now, let's say we look at just the higher end boards (so Z170/Z270): 

• 1 mATX (out of 19) --> 5.3%
  • 14 mITX (out of 16) --> 87.5%
  • 17 ATX (out of 141) --> 12%

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

On LGA1151, there are: 

• 15 ATX boards with WiFi (out of 221) --> 6.8%
  • 1 mATX (out of 161) --> .6% (this doesn't seem right, I want to guess PCPP is having a problem)
  • 31 mITX (out of 51) --> 60.7%

Now, let's say we look at just the higher end boards (so Z170/Z270): 

• 1 mATX (out of 19) --> 5.3%
  • 14 mITX (out of 16) --> 87.5%
  • 17 ATX (out of 141) --> 12%

wait , you're saying overpriced boards have useless features that most people dont use , no way.

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

wait , you're saying overpriced boards have useless features that most people dont use , no way.

Fine, let's look at all boards under $100 then: 

• 5 mITX (out of 11)
  • 0 ATX (out of 14)
  • 0 mATX (out of 54)
  • 0 EATX (out of 0)

While we're at it, why don't we look at some more price points:

• 1 mITX (out of 3) -- Under $70
  • 1 mITX (out of 6) -- Under $80
  • 3 mITX (out of 9) -- Under $90
  • 5 mITX (out of 11) -- Under $100
  • 9 mITX (out of 15) -- Under $120
  • 13 mITX (out of 20) -- Under $140
  • 18 mITX (out of 25) -- Under $160
  • 22 mITX (out of 33) -- Under $250

Across the board the percentage of mITX boards with Wifi is greater than any other form factor. There are reasons for this -- namely the use case for mITX boards is generally different AND manufacturers know there is less room to add Wifi on your own. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There are reasons for this -- namely the use case for mITX boards is generally different AND manufacturers know there is less room to add Wifi on your own. 

or so they can charge more for smaller board by adding features you dont need like wifi  , blutooth , fm radio , coffee maker

i wonder what percentage of those boards dont have usb ports , but no we don't want to use usb wifi because djdwosk had a bad experience with it.

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

or so they can charge more for smaller board by adding features you dont need like wifi  , blutooth , fm radio , coffee maker

Clearly people need it. Otherwise, they would be adding those same features -- in the same percentages to every other form factor and charging more for all of those as well. And yet they don't.

i wonder what percentage of those boards dont have usb ports , but no we don't want to use usb wifi because djdwosk had a bad experience with it.

Yep, USB wifi is so fantastic, that tons of people buy PCIE WiFi cards even though there is literally no benefit to PCIE wifi:

58 minutes ago, emosun said:

except on boards that don't have a lot of pci-e available

They waste a PCIE slot and >= 2 PCIE lanes. 

they also aren't hot plugable

They aren't easily installable/removable. 

and I suppose of you need speed higher than 5 Gbit/s....

And basically no one has internet that can exceed 5Gbps nor do routers even exist that can push 5Gbps over Wifi (ac 2.0 has a max theoretical limit of 3.2gbps and ad has a max theoretical limit of 7gbps).

And yet, strangely, PCIE Wifi isn't dead.....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Honestly I don't care anymore you're beyond logic , like talking to a wall 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Honestly I don't care anymore you're beyond logic , like talking to a wall 

Yep, I'm the one beyond logic. That's why the market agrees with me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You pull market stats and warp them to your point. That's some youtube intelligence level discussion/trolling that I'm definitely not going to partake in.

I forget how many little kids are on this site that know very little. My fault for even giving you attention of any type.

This thread is getting interesting.  #GOPDebate

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage