I found this 2 videos really helpful if you just got into linux. Hope you guys can get something from it.

wow, 5 mistakes in just *looks closer* 41 minutes!?

nah, I think I'll just make the mistakes and learn from it myself... it'll be faster :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow, 5 mistakes in just *looks closer* 41 minutes!?

nah, I think I'll just make the mistakes and learn from it myself... it'll be faster :P 

Right?! The mistakes are half the fun.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

Right?! The mistakes are half the fun.

Upon scanning the video's 6 total frames, it does look like a good list (well, generally speaking at least, can' speak to the bullets under each number) but really... this is far too long

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Upon scanning the video's 6 total frames, it does look like a good list (well, generally speaking at least, can' speak to the bullets under each number) but really... this is far too long

I appreciate the last point. So many "it was too hard" comments from people after 2 days with it.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

I appreciate the last point. So many "it was too hard" comments from people after 2 days with it.

Yeah people will feel the same switching to anything new.  They learn their first OS slowly and then expect everything to be easy from then on, forgetting that if they pickup something new, they'll be basically back to square one.  I think most people aren't willing to go through that again and forget just how long it took them to learn everything they know the first time around.

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

I watched the whole thing.. i found it really helpful. As a newbie when it comes to all things linux. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

I watched the whole thing.. i found it really helpful. As a newbie when it comes to all things linux. 

Oh I'm sure, I wasn't implying that no one should watch it. I was mostly embracing the fact that I approached Linux like a bull in a china shop, lol. It was more fun (for me) that way.

The points in the video are good. Just about 33 mins too long.

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

Oh I'm sure, I wasn't implying that no one should watch it. I was mostly embracing the fact that I approached Linux like a bull in a china shop, lol. It was more fun (for me) that way.

The points in the video are good. Just about 33 mins too long.

haha. I installed arch on raspberry pi 3. it was good and fun but I didn't get everything right xD

Making mistakes is how you learn most times, it's memorable that way :D

I have memory issues as part of my disability which makes it that much harder now, but I still try and try again until I get it right most times... only been this way for 5-6 years now and feel like homer simpson some times xD

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

9 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I think the "mistakes" the youtuber referring to are not "oh no, I should not change this config.txt file now my screen is 480p". The mistake he is talking about is more like mis conception. Like you run into a fruit store and want to buy some pepsi. That's the whole point of this video. 

Also sorry about your health issue man. 

1 minute ago, unijab said:

How to defrag your linux machine:

rm -rf /

annnnnnd I don't even know waht defrag means.. :/ 

2 minutes ago, unijab said:

How to defrag your linux machine:

rm -rf /

wait a minute....... did you just tell us to wipe out our entire machine? 

3 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

wait a minute....... did you just tell us to wipe out our entire machine? 

Yes, though the actual command is

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Yes, though the actual command is

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

I remember reading something like it on quora.. some people are just...

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

I remember reading something like it on quora.. some people are just...

Also, you don't actually need to defrag on Linux if you use Linux file systems. Linux file systems like ext4 automatically organize themselves as they go. The file system Windows uses (NTFS) is what needs to be defragged every so often. Only problem is Windows doesn't read Linux file systems natively, so you pretty much have to use NTFS on your external hard drives if you want to use them with Windows and Linux.

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I think the "mistakes" the youtuber referring to are not "oh no, I should not change this config.txt file now my screen is 480p". The mistake he is talking about is more like mis conception. Like you run into a fruit store and want to buy some pepsi. That's the whole point of this video. 

Also sorry about your health issue man. 

I only watched some of the video TBH, I was put off by the seeming patronizing tone of the guy... maybe it's just how he sounds and can;t help it, but it put me off.

Anyway, I have literally only ever had 1 PC that would not install linux on it, out of approx 15 years or so of knowing of the existence of linux. I have not installed linux and ran it for all those years, but I have at times on most of the PCs I've had (apart from that one that wouldn't), and have installed them on tons of machines for other people...and have NEVER heard of someone trying to look for a linux specific machine as that was/is unheard of to my knowledge. I know some distros don't like certain GPUs (think that may have been the problem with that ONE machine), and yes sometimes you have to work at getting things just how you want them. But on the other hand, for some people that just want a machine that will boot fairly quickly, not require tons of RAM just for the OS alone and want to just browse, listen to music, watch some videos etc, or just use open source software in general that comes pre-installed... then linux is the answer. I very often prescribe linux as the answer to a lot of my friends and family, and some customers that are still in this day and age caught up in the MS ecosystem, where they think they need MS office to write letters and do spreadsheets etc, and are under the false impression that they REQUIRE office at home to be able to access those files at work/school or the other way around.... I have had to talk to reps/secretaries on the phone sometimes when they've called and said they needed someone in my family to re-submit some files as they couldn't open it, and have told them how to do it over the phone.

Anyway, won't go into that more, as it makes me angry that people still think that way, and sometimes won't even try to step outside their boxes, and instead want you to submit it in some way they know because of MS bullshit.... I mean jesus, it's only an .odt or .txt instead of a .doc file xD

Thanks BTW for the sympathy for my health... it's not great that I have this now, but at least it's not immediately life threatening or anything, just my quality of life has suffered a great deal as I can't do a lot of things now that I used to enjoy. I'm trying to live with it though and get by as best that I can. I won't bore anyone with details, I only mentioned it as I struggle to find the right words a lot of the time and is really frustrating, and I sometimes have to settle for a substitute word that I CAN remember at the time - so just ask for a little leeway if I say not wuite the correct terminology or something. I had to struggle just then to think of the default MS office document type, LOL, which turned out kind of ironically to be .doc :D

I say thingy a LOT now, which still pisses me off if someone else does it :P

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I don't agree with everything this guy says and it's always good to be skeptical of things with "X things" titles. Videos with that format tend to lack nuance, though it can be argued that things need to be simplified for this video's intended audience.

While it's true that getting a computer that is known to be supported well by Linux will give you a smooth experience, you should expect Linux to work with common hardware. If it doesn't, that's a legitimate problem that needs to be fixed.

About graphics: Old AMD graphics cards that aren't supported by the AMDGPU driver will probably suck. Newer AMD cards should be OK. Nvidia is good for 3D graphics, but doesn't support Wayland very well and you may also experience screen tearing. I agree about Intel. If you just want your DE to look smooth and you don't do any stuff that makes heavy use of 3D graphics, use Intel.

I don't have strong problems with the advice about distros, except I wouldn't put Ubuntu in a separate category from Ubuntu MATE,

Backups are always a good idea, but dual booting is not dangerous if you use a simple installer to do the job of installation.

My biggest problem with this guide is that it essentially discourages getting your hands dirty, but then says the opposite at the end of this very long video. You should be aware of what will be more difficult, what will require extra work, but you should not be discouraged from exploring. Choose your own pace and chase whatever piques your interest. If you just want to do basic things and just want them to work, it's OK if you don't want to get your hands dirty. Compiling from source is no more dangerous than installing a 3rd party binary package. It's usually just a matter of installing the right dev packages and doing `./configure` or `mkdir build && cd build && cmake ..` in the directory of the extracted source code, then `make` and finally `sudo make install`.

20 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

My biggest problem with this guide is that it essentially discourages getting your hands dirty, but then says the opposite at the end of this very long video. You should be aware of what will be more difficult, what will require extra work, but you should not be discouraged from exploring. Choose your own pace and chase whatever piques your interest. If you just want to do basic things and just want them to work, it's OK if you don't want to get your hands dirty. Compiling from source is no more dangerous than installing a 3rd party binary package. It's usually just a matter of installing the right dev packages and doing `./configure` or `mkdir build && cd build && cmake ..` in the directory of the extracted source code, then `make` and finally `sudo make install`

I think he is addressing the more non-tech savvy user, that's why he suggested to use a more polished distro at 1st. Then at the end he is just saying to those more adventurous users to just explore and break stuff. That's what tech savvy user want. 

For me I kind of enjoy the whole process of installing, customizing, broke something and install it again cycle. It is kind of fun and you can learn some subtle knowledge about software and linux system.  

55 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

it's only an .odt or .txt instead of a .doc file xD

wait wait what is all these dot dot thingy. 

I can't find any dot on my machine? 

SOME ONE COME HERE AND MAKE ME SOME DOTS RIGHT NOW! 

/s

okay dude. you are not the only one who had similar experience. hope things can get better for you.