7800X or wait till Coffee Lake

Thoughts? 

Looking at building a new desktop main uses will be gaming and content creation and running handbrake quite often budget is $2500. Streaming might also become a thing in the future not sure if i could use more than 32gb of ram on the mainstream desktop platform. I usually run a couple VM's but not constantly. Not sure what else to include in here. After looking at "leaked" pricing the 8700k will be 420$ vs the 379$ 7800k. would it be worth it to move up into the 7820k at the point?

You get what you pay for.- Me

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Coffee Lake supposedly comes out in October. That's a short enough time to be on the wait train.

Unless you really need that system now.

Not really in a rush, just looking for outside opinions.

I would not get lower end x299 chips...  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I would not get lower end x299 chips...  

The only chips I would consider to be low end would be the 7640X and the 7740X. They really don't have a place in the X299 product stack but for some reason the still exist.

Just now, arcticfox159 said:

The only chips I would consider to be low end would be the 7640X and the 7740X. They really don't have a place in the X299 product stack but for some reason the still exist.

i meant the 7800x and 7820x mainly , but kaby lake x is also pat of it .I wouldn't buy those chips because there are better and cheaper options out there.

If you're looking at 6 core chips , your best bet is ryzen or coffee lake . You'd be paying a premium with x299 for no real performance gain .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

i meant the 7800x and 7820x mainly , but kaby lake x is also pat of it .I wouldn't buy those chips because there are better and cheaper options out there.

If you're looking at 6 core chips , your best bet is ryzen or coffee lake . You'd be paying a premium with x299 for no real performance gain .

Oh, I see what you mean. That's a valid point, I'm looking for a 6 to 8 core CPU. 

Don't go x299.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh, I see what you mean. That's a valid point, I'm looking for a 6 to 8 core CPU. 

I'd argue that x299 is only really worth it for the i9 . the board cost is high , and all the i7's are kneecapped in some way . 

If you want a cpu now , get an r7 for 300$ . If you can wait  , then i'd recommend waiting to see how coffeelake turns out . It could turn out to be quite a capable chip.

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

I'd argue that x299 is only really worth it for the i9 . the board cost is high , and all the i7's are kneecapped in some way . 

If you want a cpu now , get an r7 for 300$ . If you can wait  , then i'd recommend waiting to see how coffeelake turns out . It could turn out to be quite a capable chip.

I'm more or less in the planning stage not in any rush to get this built. I have a pretty capable laptop that can get me through until the October release. Just looking for some opinions on the matter.

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

What are your thoughts on a workstation class motherboard in the 1151 platform?

What are your thoughts on a workstation class motherboard in the 1151 platform?

Well , it depends on your needs . Keep in mind that lga 1151 (OG , not the v2 for coffeelake ) only accommodates quad cores . You have the standard complement of gaming boards, which should all do the job as well as all the others . You also the choice of going for quad core e3 xeons , but you'll need c230 series chipset boards , as z170/270 will not work.

7820k is a stupid chip that shouldn't exist.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

7820k is a stupid chip that shouldn't exist.

I feel that it should exist but not at its price point and socket. If it were for say on the 1151 socket and priced at maybe low 400$ then it can be justified. 

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well , it depends on your needs . Keep in mind that lga 1151 (OG , not the v2 for coffeelake ) only accommodates quad cores . You have the standard complement of gaming boards, which should all do the job as well as all the others . You also the choice of going for quad core e3 xeons , but you'll need c230 series chipset boards , as z170/270 will not work.

Yea, I wasn't sure if the feature set was worth the extra money. I know Linus has praised the Asus WS boards.