Am I under a misonception about my CPU model? Phenom II x4 955

Go to solution Solved by tekgeek1205,

AMD Black Editions have unlocked multipliers and base clocks(FSB). Non-Black Edition's only have Base clocks unlocked. Your validation shows a 19.5 multiplier and stock is like 16 i think. You have a Black Edition.

I have a Phenom II x4 955 inside an M4A78T-E motherboard. All I have ever seen about this CPU regards a "Black Edition". But I've also seen articles dismiss the BE and simply refer to it as the x4 955. As I understand it, the Black Edition has an unlocked multiplier, meaning it's overclockable...or more overclockable? My chip is overclockable, I've run and posted a CPUZ score to https://valid.x86.fr/h4kh9m and nowhere does it mention it being a Black Edition. I also can't seem to find any articles differentiating an x4 955 vs x4 955BE.

Am I missing something?

AMD used to drop "black edition" on some CPUs for unknown reasons :P If you look at FX CPUS, many models, but not all, have the "black edition" added, even though all of them are unlocked.

To be clear: there is only one version per model. If the 955 was labeled black edition, then black edition it is, there is no 955 non-black edition.

I think the difference literally boils down to whether the box was withe-red or black-red :P 

You can see the fll list of Phenom II CPUs here:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop/phenom-ii

AMD Black Editions have unlocked multipliers and base clocks(FSB). Non-Black Edition's only have Base clocks unlocked. Your validation shows a 19.5 multiplier and stock is like 16 i think. You have a Black Edition.

FYI

X is the new black edition. Instead of unlocked multipliers (all ryzen are unlocked) you get the new XFR.

1 minute ago, tekgeek1205 said:

AMD Black Editions have unlocked muitiplyers and base clocks(FSB). Non-Black Edition's only have Base clocks unlocked. Your validation shows a 19.5 multiplier and stock is like 16 i think. You have a Black Edition.

Yes, i stand corrected: i was trying to find an example, and saw that all FX CPUs had the "Black edition" added, it was FM2 APUs that soemtimes have it and sometimes don't (and I'm guessing unlocked multiplier = BE there too).

Owned a 2 core non-BE, 4 core BE phenom, 4 core FX and 8 core FX. I think FX is where thay dropped the Black Edition. Not sure, but both my FX chips were unlocked

17 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

I've had this PC for about a year now, built by the owner of the PC repair shop I worked at, and never could differentiate whether I had a BE or not. Thanks for the clarification. The closest comparison I could find was the 955 vs 945 or 965. If I understand correctly, the 955 is basically a 945 with a higher FSB clock and unlocked multiplier.

I've been overclocking this thing to 3.8ghz steady since I've owned it. Its a clear bottleneck for my RX 460 while gaming AAA titles, but I still manage an average over 40+ fps in most games at 1080p, where the 460 shines. In the near future, maybe tax time or Christmas if I'm lucky, I'm planning to either upgrade and pass this down as a family HTPC or just build an HTPC for them and throw one of the HD 5770s that was originally in the system in it until we can get another RX 460 or similarly priced card (msrp, not current prices...damn miners).

If I'm planning to upgrade myself on a budget while keeping my RX 460 to sustain an average of 60fps without bottlenecking while playing on High settings, where do you think I should start? Would a 1065T perform much better than my 955 with it's additional core count?

I was considering going one step up to AM3+, or should I just jump up to FM2/FM2+?

The FX are barely any better gaming wise, grab a Ryzen. Even the 1500x with a b350 tomahawk will be a major upgrade (and cheap).

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

Just now, Kenrou said:

The FX are barely any better gaming wise, grab a Ryzen. Even the 1500x with a b350 tomahawk will be a major upgrade (and cheap).

fyi phenom and fx are 2 different processors

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

fyi phenom and fx are 2 different processors

I know, i had both, hence my answer. OP wants an actual upgrade he should go AM4 not AM3/+ or FM2.

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

Just now, Kenrou said:

I know, i had both, hence my answer. OP wants an actual upgrade he should go AM4 not AM3/+ or FM2.

it's a very expensive upgrade:

new ram

new mobo

new cpu

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

it's a very expensive upgrade:

new ram

new mobo

new cpu

He can get all 3 for less then $400 ($300-ish or less if he gets decent deals) and it will last him for a few years to come in all AAA games and HTPC, all in all a very good upgrade and worth the money in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Kenrou said:

That's pushing $300 for CPU and motherboard alone, hence why I asked about going one or two steps above my current setup. I have 19 years experience building and repairing PCs. I've heavily researched the latest and greatest over the past couple generations for a few years now since I've been able to actually own a PC with what little money I have available. I know the use cases and performance gains of modern parts. Thing is, I don't NEED it. I want more performance, yes, but I don't need a top-tier 1337 cookie-cutter PC. Since I don't need it, I don't necessarily want it then either. I just want to perform well enough. My current rig performs just well enough to keep me satisfied for now, but it's a little on the beatup side of things. 2 DIMM slots don't work, PCI-E is only Gen. 2, only 2 USB 3.0 ports and the heat generation while overclocked is a little more than I'm comfortable with without the jet engine that is my Zalman CNPS5X while on load. Obviously overclocking generates heat and causes instability, this stuff I'm familiar with. Later down the line I know I'll want even more, but that's an investment when I'm ready for it. For now, it's my gaming machine and until it's passed down I wanna give it some TLC. If it's just replacing the board, cool. If it's a CPU upgrade, nice. But I want the upgrade to be worth it for myself now and my kids/family later.

7 minutes ago, Kenrou said:

He can get all 3 for less then $400 ($300-ish or less if he gets decent deals) and it will last him for a few years to come in all AAA games and HTPC, all in all a very good upgrade and worth the money in my opinion.

My budget set forth by the one who wears the pants (and pays the bills) is $200 fwiw. As a stay at home dad, she feeds my tech addictions so I need to respect the budget

English is far from being my 1st language, thank you  ;)  With your current motherboard i don't see much in way of upgrade, if you get a 1090T or 1100T you will be trading Mhz for cores unless you have the cooling (and luck) for a good overclock. FM2 would be a downgrade unless you get something current (and even then...) and you would still have to buy a new motherboard along with the CPU.

FX or a magic option no one has brought up - an Intel i7 2nd gen.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

We mentioned FX and the Intel are expensive in comparison. Plus, again, OP has to get a new motherboard to go along with it.

Just now, JDE said:

True...however I'm a Team Red fan. Intel gets expensive in the mobo department. FX are FM2 I believe?

1 minute ago, dragonhart6505 said:

True...however I'm a Team Red fan. Intel gets expensive in the mobo department. FX are FM2 I believe?

FX are AM3+ which your current motherboard doesn't support.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M4A78TE/HelpDesk_CPU/

1 minute ago, Kenrou said:

We mentioned FX and the Intel are expensive in comparison. Plus, again, OP has to get a new motherboard to go along with it.

Intel i7 2600 + cheap 1155 mobo can easily fit in the budget.

True...however I'm a Team Red fan. 

Respect that, I'm sorta one

2 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

FX are FM2 I believe?

AM3+, which some AM3 boards can BIOS update to support.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Kenrou said:

FX are AM3+ which your current motherboard doesn't support.

I'm aware my board doesn't support that. If the decision is made to go a generation or 2 up, the price for the motherboard and CPU is still within range of my allowed budget and this PC can be handed down appropriately. I already have storage taken care of and DDR3 is pretty cheap at my local shops. Only thing I'm missing after the upgrades is a case and power supply

I'm aware my board doesn't support that. If the decision is made to go a generation or 2 up, the price for the motherboard and CPU is still within range of my allowed budget and this PC can be handed down appropriately. I already have storage taken care of and DDR3 is pretty cheap at my local shops. 

Even though you are Team Red, please consider 2nd generation locked i7s. The locked versions and motherboards are cheaper and fit into your budget just fine. IMO better than FX for gaming.

2 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

. Only thing I'm missing after the upgrades is a case and power supply

If you live in the US, and good PSU can be gotten for 30 dollars, and a good cases for $30-50.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

4 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

I'm aware my board doesn't support that. If the decision is made to go a generation or 2 up, the price for the motherboard and CPU is still within range of my allowed budget and this PC can be handed down appropriately. I already have storage taken care of and DDR3 is pretty cheap at my local shops. Only thing I'm missing after the upgrades is a case and power supply

Then a FX 6300 or 8320 if you can grab them cheap would be your best bet i think, just make sure you have a 6+2 motherboard to handle the load. JDE has a point in that Intel are better for gaming, but again it's only worth it if you can get them cheap. Plus it's locked for overclocking but i don't know if that is an issue ?