What is TDP in terms of heat output? Can you convert the measurement of TDP into something like Joules per second, or minute?

Input_Name_Here
Go to solution Solved by tomaatvk,

TDP is used to indicate the amount of heat that the component in question could produce in the worst condition. Different companies do use TDP in different ways. For example:

intel's TDP is the amount of heat the worst binned chip could produce when put through the worst kind of torture (at stock settings ofcourse), while most intel chips could not even come close to the TDP they are rated at.

Nvidia GPU chips are a whole different story, they use TDP in such a way that the indicated TDP is the maximum amount of power it is allowed to pull. If the chip wants to pull more, it will get throttled to the point where it will maintain its TDP value.

I have no idea how it works with AMD CPU's, but I guess it works the same as with intel CPU's.

AMD GPU's are the same as Nvidia GPU's, but they key difference is that Nvidia's TDP is for the whole card while AMD only indicates the amount of power the silicon uses.

TDP is always just the amount of power, measured it watts (which is the same as joules per second), the part could consume. When we talk about computer parts, basicly all the energy goes into either movement of air/fans/HDD platters, light, sound and heat output. As you may guess, a CPU does not move a fan or produce light, etc. so pretty much all the power a CPU will consume will get transfered into heat.

To conclude, for your example of the 3930k. If it would consume and produce 130 watts of heat if it would work at 100% and be one of the worst chips sold. This is at the condition that it is not overclocked.

So I would like to understand what TDP stands for in terms of heat generation. Take the i7-3930k for example, it has a TDP of 130 watts. Does it mean that the CPU can produce 130 watts or joules of heat per second or per minute? Does it have anything to do with the amount of surface the heat is generated on? So if two CPUs have the same heat output but one has a smaller surface area will the TDP be rated differently?

Well you might be able to if TDP was a standard measurement, but since it isn't and companies measure it differently it is a bit random

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Yes, TDP is measured (or stated) in Watts, and a Watt is one Joule per second

But, it's worth noting that TDPs are all measured and calculated differently, so it's rarely if ever an accurate value for the maximum heat output of a component.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

A CPU will convert all of the power it uses into heat, so yes TDP is watts of heat output by the device.

Just like a heater might output 1000W of heat.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Can you convert the measurement of TDP into something like Joules per second, or minute?

Huh? 1W=1J/s

It's the exact same thing :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

TDP is used to indicate the amount of heat that the component in question could produce in the worst condition. Different companies do use TDP in different ways. For example:

intel's TDP is the amount of heat the worst binned chip could produce when put through the worst kind of torture (at stock settings ofcourse), while most intel chips could not even come close to the TDP they are rated at.

Nvidia GPU chips are a whole different story, they use TDP in such a way that the indicated TDP is the maximum amount of power it is allowed to pull. If the chip wants to pull more, it will get throttled to the point where it will maintain its TDP value.

I have no idea how it works with AMD CPU's, but I guess it works the same as with intel CPU's.

AMD GPU's are the same as Nvidia GPU's, but they key difference is that Nvidia's TDP is for the whole card while AMD only indicates the amount of power the silicon uses.

TDP is always just the amount of power, measured it watts (which is the same as joules per second), the part could consume. When we talk about computer parts, basicly all the energy goes into either movement of air/fans/HDD platters, light, sound and heat output. As you may guess, a CPU does not move a fan or produce light, etc. so pretty much all the power a CPU will consume will get transfered into heat.

To conclude, for your example of the 3930k. If it would consume and produce 130 watts of heat if it would work at 100% and be one of the worst chips sold. This is at the condition that it is not overclocked.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A CPU will convert all of the power it uses into heat, so yes TDP is watts of heat output by the device.

Just like a heater might output 1000W of heat.

Heater? you mean the i9-7900x at 5ghz?