Astro Asking me to cut headphone wire?? - need help

JackT24

I know this should be posted in peripherals, but need help fast!

I'm in contact with Astro about my broken headset and they said for me to be sent a new one I must provide an image with the serial number and the headphone wire cut. 

Has anyone else had this asked of them?

Cut wire is physical damage. Physical damage is no warranty.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

There is no physical damage on the headset as of now, it is not holding charge .

This is the email they sent:

Thank you for the information.  I will arrange for a replacement headset to be sent, before I can do this please cut the cable on each ear of the headset. Please refer to the attached photos on how to properly cut the cable on each side.

NOTE* please do not dispose of your ear pads.

Please also attach a photo of the serial number with the cut cable in the photo as well. The attached photos will contain an example of this.

Once I have a photo of the cut/destroyed headset, I will make a shipment for a brand new headset to be shipped out to you.

Please also confirm your address for delivery.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

LOL, make sure you were speaking with the actual company just to make sure. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE, that is not standard procedure.

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

LOL, make sure you were speaking with the actual company just to make sure. DO NOT CUT THE WIRE, that is not standard procedure.

yeah im not, thought i would post around first. I had gone through the support page and opened up a case with them, they had emailed me about my issue. 

1 minute ago, JackT24 said:

There is no physical damage on the headset as of now, it is not holding charge .

This is the email they sent:

Thank you for the information.  I will arrange for a replacement headset to be sent, before I can do this please cut the cable on each ear of the headset. Please refer to the attached photos on how to properly cut the cable on each side.

NOTE* please do not dispose of your ear pads.

Please also attach a photo of the serial number with the cut cable in the photo as well. The attached photos will contain an example of this.

Once I have a photo of the cut/destroyed headset, I will make a shipment for a brand new headset to be shipped out to you.

Please also confirm your address for delivery.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

OH my god this is scamming like 100% lol. DON'T DO ANYTHING. also, what he meant by physical damage is that if you cut it, it will count as that and they will not do anything about it as it probably isn't covered in the guarantee or whatever.

I mean, who the hell asks for a customer to post a picture of the headphones with the wire cut?! this is outrageous, and then they will send a replacement or whatever, this is very and i mean VERY similar to the tactics that scammers use.

2 minutes ago, JackT24 said:

yeah im not, thought i would post around first. I had gone through the support page and opened up a case with them, they had emailed me about my issue. 

What Astro site did you get the contact information from?

Do not cut the wires.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I'm trying to help you out here because this is just crazy, if this is actually how they do things then... no words. I would suggest that you check the email, post it here and see if there is anything suspicious about it, if this isn't about fraud or whatever then contact them again, another email or by phone, website, forum or anything to confirm that this is what you are supposed to do. 

3 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

OH my god this is scamming like 100% lol. DON'T DO ANYTHING. also, what he meant by physical damage is that if you cut it, it will count as that and they will not do anything about it as it probably isn't covered in the guarantee or whatever.

Dont worry, I wont cut the wires. I went onto http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/contact/ and filled out the form. Ive asked them to verify this procedure from different sources and i am waiting on a response!

USA

All of our products carry a one-year warranty on defective parts or faulty workmanship during the manufacturing process. The warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect, lightning, power surges, unauthorized product modification, or repairs. Customers located in the United States will receive a pre-paid shipping label to be used to send in items for warranty evaluation and repair. The costs of warranty work and standard return shipping to our customers are also included in the coverage of the warranty.

Asia/Other

All of our products carry a one-year warranty on defective parts or faulty workmanship during the manufacturing process. The warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect, lightning, power surges, unauthorized product modification or repairs. Customers located outside of the United States are responsible for any shipping costs on items sent in for warranty evaluation/repair (locations in both the US and UK), but the costs of warranty work and standard return shipping are included in the coverage of the warranty.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

I saw that, thats why I thought I would post here, see if they have had a problem like this

Just now, JackT24 said:

I saw that, thats why I thought I would post here, see if they have had a problem like this

No manufacture since the dawn of human civilization will ask the wires to be cut on a headphone and send in pictures of it. It's a great chance you're being scammed. Try not to give out too many personal details about yourself.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

This is the returns procedure now that Astro has been acquired by Logitech.

I have confirmed that your system is in warranty and a replacement will be requested by myself once proof of destruction is provided and the delivery address is confirmed.

Regards,

Lewis Milligan
ASTRO Gaming CRT 
http://www.astrogaming.co.uk

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

No manufacture since the dawn of human civilization will ask the wires to be cut on a headphone and send in pictures of it. It's a great chance you're being scammed. Try not to give out too many personal details about yourself.

someone having a similar problem

This is normal, Fitbit asked me to do the same when I requested a replacement fitness tracker from them, they ask you to do this to be sure that the original item will never be used again.

1 minute ago, alawadhi3000 said:

This is normal, Fitbit asked me to do the same when I requested a replacement fitness tracker from them, they ask you to do this to be sure that the original item will never be used again.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/16/14283952/destroy-earbuds-earphones-replacement-warranty

just read this

I don't really know what now, 

Just now, JackT24 said:

This is the returns procedure now that Astro has been acquired by Logitech.

I have confirmed that your system is in warranty and a replacement will be requested by myself once proof of destruction is provided and the delivery address is confirmed.

Regards,

Lewis Milligan
ASTRO Gaming CRT 
http://www.astrogaming.co.uk

Ok, no. the way that this is worded is, bad. a replacement will be requested (NOT SENT) by HIM once proof of DESTRUCTION IS PROVIDED? Who the hell says that! This may be true, i'm not saying that it isn't but it is an incredibly ridiculous way to do it. If i had a problem with my Razer Kraken 7.1's i would not be required to cut the wire of them... Perhaps send another email saying something like the procedure of requesting the replacement after sending the picture of the DESTRUCTION (XD) and see what he says next.

There's a lot of confusion in this thread.

Astro is asking him to cut his headphone wires because they do not want him to return the broken pair. He is being instructed to destroy on-site the broken headphones. Once they are confirmed destroyed, a replacement pair will be sent out.

Basically, it will cost Astro more to ship the broken ones back and fix them, then it costs for them to just build a new pair.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would imagine they ask you this to try to avoid people opening their incoming mail to get somewhat working headsets and such.

This is pretty much standard procedure for anything place that disposed of old electronics (including a GameStop for example, which is why you see stuff with cut controllers in dumpster dive videos)

Just reconfirm you are talking to the legit Astro and reconfirm with the representative that he meant you needed to cut as in physically destroy the cable.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, JackT24 said:

someone having a similar problem

Well you can take a chance and cut the wires or just buy yourself a new set of headphones.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

There's a lot of confusion in this thread.

Astro is asking him to cut his headphone wires because they do not want him to return the broken pair. He is being instructed to destroy on-site the broken headphones. Once they are confirmed destroyed, a replacement pair will be sent out.

Basically, it will cost Astro more to ship the broken ones back and fix them, then it costs for them to just build a new pair.

This is interesting. It came as a shock at first since this isn't what most other companies would do (i think), Once i came across this link by someone who posted it here: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/16/14283952/destroy-earbuds-earphones-replacement-warranty It wasn't as worrying since The Verge wrote about it so yeah. Make sure you have the documentation/ warranty or any proof you have OP.

I don't see what the big deal is... My Sen HD280's went dead on one side when they realised what postage was going to cost they requested the same thing.

New pair arrived about a week after I sent in the photo.

The Fleet List

Spoiler

Galactica - Main PC - Intel 5960X, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Titan X, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850Pro 2TB..Triple Monitors and Watercooled in a Corsair 750D Running Windows 10
Destiny - HTCP - Intel i5 6400, 16GB Corsair Vengence LXP, Corsair SF450 PSU, Asus Strix H720I Gaming MOBO, Corsair MP500 240GB SSD in a Node 202 running Ubuntu Server for PLEX and other home theatre tools.

UNSC Forward Unto Dawn - iPad Pro 12inch

USS Daedalus - 2015 Mac Book Air

Colonial Viper - Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Resurrection Hub - Synology DS1818+ with 5 WD Red 4TB Drives

Works in Progress... Threadripper ... Ryzen 5 ... Radio Station Servers