Do Gunnars work?

Cs342

I am seriously considering getting a pair of Gunnars since I get pretty tired from looking at my monitor. I have a few questions however:

1. What is the difference between the tinted lens and crystalline lens apart from appearance?

2. I already wear glasses. Will prescription Gunnars still offer a noticeable difference in computer use, or do most glasses already have anti-glare technology built in to them?

3. Is it okay to wear Gunnars 24/7 (essentially replacing my current pair of glasses)?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

They can slightly reduce eye fatigue over long gaming sessions but otherwise are very useless and the yellow tint is just annoying

Have you used them yourself or is this just guesswork? I really need to make an informed decision by tonight (because the huge sale is ending), thanks!

I'm pretty sure all they do is filter out blue light. There is software that can give you the same result. I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here knows what I am talking about

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I don't think replacing prescription lenses with gunnars is a particularly fantastic idea.

I'm pretty sure all they do is filter out blue light. There is software that can give you the same result. I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here knows what I am talking about

f.lux

f.lux

yep that's the one

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I bought a pair from a Woot sale a while ago. The tint is very weird for the first day, it takes about a week to get use to the tinting unless you only looking at the screen, they are difficult to wear anywhere else or on anything less than triple monior. Just the off the shelf version, there is a +1 magnification to them as well.

I don't use them for games, you will get the most out of them only for reading text on the screens like I am now.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

oh and don't get them for the moisture barrier nonsense, hipster glasses can do the same thing

So what is this flux thing and what does it do? how can software possible reduce eyestrain?

software that changes the color temperature of the image being displayed to the monitor.

Best description is on the web page. The screen will turn to a similar color as the webpage background. White will be come that slightly orange color.

http://justgetflux.com/

So what is this flux thing and what does it do? how can software possible reduce eyestrain?

software that changes the color temperature of the image being displayed to the monitor.

Best description is on the web page. The screen will turn to a similar color as the webpage background. White will be come that slightly orange color.

http://justgetflux.com/

And this makes a noticeable difference on eyestrain? O.o

interesting

And this makes a noticeable difference on eyestrain? O.o

interesting

I've been using it a lot recently and I've noticed a significant reduction in eyestrain.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I've been using it a lot recently and I've noticed a significant reduction in eyestrain.

Could you please describe your symptoms before and after? I really need to know whether I should just not get the Gunnars and download this software, and I only have a few hours to decide, which is not enough to really test this out properly :P

I wondered this myself and from googling and watching videos here is what the claim is and why it's supposed to work.

Claims:

The idea is that gunnars help reduce dry eyes which any glasses will do because they help trap moisture close to the eye. They also help filter out blue light, most monitors put out an absurd amount of blue light especially uncalibrated ones. Research suggests large amounts of blue light can cause headaches and affects how often you blink also contributing to dry eyes.

Opinion:

A friend of mine is a programmer so he is looking at multiple screens all day long (I think he has 6 monitors connected to his pc atm). He got a pair and he swears by them. He used to get headaches and twitches around his eyes, he says everything is great now. I tried them out, they seemed to make focusing easier in certain lighting conditions and periods of prolonged use, I'll probably pickup a pair in the future.

Aren't the prescription gunnars like 400$ or some crap? I think you should try the software first, then move to the glasses if you don't improve.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have steelseries scopes and I only use them while gaming or late at night. I simply can not play more than 1 hour without them since my eyes dry up and I get watery eyes = not good when playing bf4 or other fps. Also I almost never get headaches after gaming anymore so yes I think they cost too much, but they really help me :)

One big problem that I have with gunnars is that I can see my eyeballs reflection on my classes when I'm looking at my monitor and I have never seen anybody talk about it before.

I installed f.lux few months ago and I'm still using it so give it a try.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

So basically flux does the exact same thing as gunnars but its free?

Could you please describe your symptoms before and after? I really need to know whether I should just not get the Gunnars and download this software, and I only have a few hours to decide, which is not enough to really test this out properly :P

Fair enough, pretty much before using it I would occasionally get the these killer pains right in the back of my head which would come in roughly once a week and last any where from a few minutes to overnight along with my eyes having trouble focusing.

Since using f.lux the headaches became less frequent and pretty much stopped and my eyes have less focus issues.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

So basically flux does the exact same thing as gunnars but its free?

Some of it maybe? *Shrugs* If flux works the way I think it does and exact colours are important to you, using flux probably isn't a good idea. Which is why there is a clear version of the gunnars from memory.

So yes/no when it comes to gunnars?

So yes/no when it comes to gunnars?

If you have to get a prescription pair, I'd say no. If you're going to get a regular pair for $50-80.... I say go for it.

If you have to get a prescription pair, I'd say no. If you're going to get a regular pair for $50-80.... I say go for it.

I will have to be getting a prescription pair... unless it's possible to get a non-prescription pair and then wear contacts underneath