"Delivery drones are coming: Jeff Bezos previews half-hour shipping from Amazon"

TicTac

Of which is why you can go to the link I posted and read people's comments.

okay... so yeah 

Will never come to fruition. Soo many problems with this.

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

I would just steal a drone, wipe the system and cha-ching

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

its a dumb idea xD id take one down with my rc plane and strip the esc, props, lipos and ta-da free stuff

I would just steal a drone, wipe the system and cha-ching

id strip the esc's grab the props/lipos/dc/frame and the cargo of couse xDLOL id take it down with my rc plane! xD

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Bad analogy, a delivery truck would be significantly harder to steal and the risk of getting caught is way higher as well as having to commit a few other crimes to gain access to it.

As for the GPS... I have 3 methods

Remove the battery, Lead lined box, or vacpac it and submerge underwater.

GPS data is transmitted in real time. Last known position before signal loss is stored. Nice try.

Also redundant tracking systems on secondary/hidden power source.

Moves and countermoves. If you can think of an exploit, the engineer/designer already has and has taken measures to prevent it from happening.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

GPS data is transmitted in real time. Last known position before signal loss is stored. Nice try.

Also redundant tracking systems on secondary/hidden power source.

Moves and countermoves. If you can think of an exploit, the engineer/designer already has and has taken measures to prevent it from happening.

GPS is a terrible form of theft prevention, the methods I mentioned will work, if you want to go one step further there are jammers available, I think they are illegal in North America, but you can get them in Europe.

The last known position isn't going to get you caught, even if you took it from your own front door, absolutely no evidence to suggest that you were the one who took it, there is a case of doubt there. I'm guessing the majority of people wouldn't be after the drone itself but more than likely the packages.

This project, in it's current state, is clearly marketing. A nice way to grab the tech news headlines, nothing more.

The last known position isn't going to get you caught, even if you took it from your own front door, absolutely no evidence to suggest that you were the one who took it, there is a case of doubt there. I'm guessing the majority of people wouldn't be after the drone itself but more than likely the packages.

Last known position is a starting point, not an end point. 

Besides, all of your assumptions are based on the drone remaining at your doorstep waiting for you to take the package. The more logical option is for the drone to drop off the package and leave immediately (using automated verification processes). 

In 10-20 years when this becomes truly possible on a large scale, the counter-measures to prevent theft will have evolved. It's not simple to say "oh, this will work, I'm smart".

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

GPS is a terrible form of theft prevention, the methods I mentioned will work, if you want to go one step further there are jammers available, I think they are illegal in North America, but you can get them in Europe.

They are not legal in Europe, and they are extremely illegal. I mean "life in prison illegal" if you happen to jam the wrong thing (such as military equipment, medial equipment or things like that). If you're going to go that far you might as well just steal one of the trucks they use today.

I don't get people here. First they think they are smarter than a whole team of engineers, and a company spending millions of dollars on research (they are not planning to use these for like half a decade), then they have to resort to very illegal things like shooting them down with rifles, using jammers and stuff like that. Again, you will have better luck getting away with stealing a truck since they don't have GPSes or cameras on them, yet people don't do that today. Why not? Because it's illegal.

Was I the only one laughing when the drone was flying and dropping off the package in amazon's advertisement? I think the idea is awesome if it works out, but the drones themselves are really funny to watch :P

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

They are not legal in Europe, and they are extremely illegal. I mean "life in prison illegal" if you happen to jam the wrong thing (such as military equipment, medial equipment or things like that). If you're going to go that far you might as well just steal one of the trucks they use today.

I don't get people here. First they think they are smarter than a whole team of engineers, and a company spending millions of dollars on research (they are not planning to use these for like half a decade), then they have to resort to very illegal things like shooting them down with rifles, using jammers and stuff like that. Again, you will have better luck getting away with stealing a truck since they don't have GPSes or cameras on them, yet people don't do that today. Why not? Because it's illegal.

Well okay, I don't know about the whole of Europe, but they retail in the UK legally for the tin foil hat types wanting to block their own mobile phone signals. http://www.jammer4uk.com/car-gps-jammer-c-1.html

You don't get me or other people here? Fine!

I just stated my opinion of reasons why I think this wouldn't work, you turned it into a debate by replying. In future just ignore my posts if they get under your skin.

I actually have more reasons why I think that this won't happen. The biggest being safety, if that equipment fails in the air there is going to be a 5lb + the weight of the drone possibly landing on a person or property and that's going to cost them big time!

I'm pretty sure they are trying to develop technology like this, but releasing the information and a 60 Minute segment on the run up to Christmas is clearly just marketing... A nice little reminder to do your Christmas shopping at Amazon.

I think its cool, but not realistic.

I actually have more reasons why I think that this won't happen. The biggest being safety, if that equipment fails in the air there is going to be a 5lb + the weight of the drone possibly landing on a person or property and that's going to cost them big time!

Take it from an Aerospace Engineer. Aircraft of all types, Civilian or Military, are designed with multiple fail-safes. The odds of an entire drone failing to the point of falling out of the sky is also next to nothing - specific components fail, for which redundant systems are built in to immediately take over.

Case in point, the aircraft you people are flying in on a day to day basis? They have cracks and defects in them. Yet how often do you hear of an aircraft falling out of the sky due to a serious failure? Bear in mind before you go googling for Aircraft failure, we're talking about a small handful out of millions of aircraft over nearly a century of air travel. The odds of failure are astronomically low. 

Take it from an Aerospace Engineer. Aircraft of all types, Civilian or Military, are designed with multiple fail-safes. The odds of an entire drone failing to the point of falling out of the sky is also next to nothing - specific components fail, for which redundant systems are built in to immediately take over.

Okay so you and LAwLz think it will work and that it is highly unlikely that anything will go wrong... Sorry it hasn't changed my mind, I still think that there are too many flaws.

What more can I say? I just don't think this will happen... Feel free to come back to me if it does, do a little dance and say "Ha, I told you so!", but to be honest I think it will be an empty victory. :)

Well okay, I don't know about the whole of Europe, but they retail in the UK legally for the tin foil hat types wanting to block their own mobile phone signals. http://www.jammer4uk.com/car-gps-jammer-c-1.html

Just because you can buy them does not mean they are legal. It is illegal under the wireless telegraphy act 2006 which states that if you use a decide for the purpose of causing radio interference you are breaking the law. It is punishable by prison as well as a fine for using a jammer and again like I said before, if you accidentally jam for example military equipment then you're in serious trouble.

Emergency parachute maybe? Again, a team full of brilliant people have probably thought of every single issue you can think of, and are working on fixes for them.

I think its cool, but not realistic.

People said the same about the airplane. People said the same about computers becoming a standard thing to have. People said the same about the Internet. Yes it will take some time to develop, which is why they said they would continue developing and refining the idea for several years before it would be released. We won't see them flying everywhere by lunch tomorrow.

Of course they are using this for marketing. That doesn't mean the project isn't real, or that it will never work though.

Just because you can buy them does not mean they are legal. It is illegal under the wireless telegraphy act 2006 which states that if you use a decide for the purpose of causing radio interference you are breaking the law. It is punishable by prison as well as a fine for using a jammer and again like I said before, if you accidentally jam for example military equipment then you're in serious trouble.

I'm telling you that they are not illegal to buy in the UK, I suppose it depends what you use it for. I'm guessing you would be breaking the law if you took it on a plane :lol:. If you are stealing drones, you are also breaking the law so its kind of a moot point.

It was in the papers a while back:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/feb/13/gps-jammers-uk-roads-risks

For everything else, see my post above.

After spending some time online, I am happy to report that the people of the internet are already planning for this new technology. I found this brilliant plan:

"Here is my idea for 2015: once the Amazon drones are released, I gather a group of millions of people and we all purchase dragon dildos at the same exact time, and deliver them all to the same spot in New York. About 30 minutes later, people look into the distance and see what they think is stormclouds. no. its a huge wave of drones carrying dragon dildos circling in on New York. soon they drop all the dildos and its too late. Everyone is screaming. Everywhere they look dragon dildos are falling and there is no escape. No one is spared, not even the children."

cbd.png

God bless the internet.

• 5 months later...

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

How long will it take before everybody have a tiny heliport on the roof with a QR code for Drone's to scan to check the address of deliveries?

Well it surealy will not have reconigition based on QR code .. (since i can just print YOUR qr code on MY roof  and have free package come to me).

Yea, GPS (maybe own GPS satelite with different technology) or some algorythm to count all flight miles and the wheater resistance to compute  where exactly it is, so noone can jack the signal or something.

I see this things to operate just in offline mode so noone can hack it. Or ONLINE BUT with the maximum price of package to be idk 200 $ .  Because i can guarantee it will be hacked/ smashed/ fooled by someone

I'll just camp at the window with a rifle waiting to shoot down other people's deliveries and make it mine
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Less jobs for delivery?