"Delivery drones are coming: Jeff Bezos previews half-hour shipping from Amazon"

TicTac

lol my mom had on of those vacuums, they are loud as hell  

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

if we get those in holland i will shoot one of them down 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

if we get those in holland i will shoot one of them down 

Are you insane? Why the hell would you do that?

Are you insane? Why the hell would you do that?

if i get lucky i might get an iphone 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

In your plan? Yes... It will obviously have GPS and probably a camera as well.

10 minutes after you took the drone: "Ohh, I wonder where our drone is. It was suppose to deliver a packet to Puppet who lives at ImaginationStreet 6 but it has not returned. Ohh well, the GPS is on at all time so we can see where it last were, oh looks it's inside the house. Let's call the cops".

Again, you wouldn't steal the delivery truck, and these drones would probably be even easier to track where they are.

Bad analogy, a delivery truck would be significantly harder to steal and the risk of getting caught is way higher as well as having to commit a few other crimes to gain access to it.

As for the GPS... I have 3 methods

Remove the battery, Lead lined box, or vacpac it and submerge underwater.

Would be awesome, seeing drones fly around by themselves would be weird tho.

The half an hour thing won't work.

Maybe the flight itself will take 30 minutes but don't expect to order an item and have it show up after watching an episode of South Park.

I bet week one someone finds out how to 'hack' the drones and make them fly somewhere else, or someone shoots it down  and steals the package or something.

Pretty soon we'll be ordering cars which then drive themselves into our garages while we're sleeping.

Praise the Lamp!

sound cool i hate waiting when i order stuff...

Ain't gonna happen, since there's noone to "guard" the package, there would always be a risk of someone hacking the drone, or disableing it somehow... And even besides that there is a number of other problems arising from this "solution to a problem that never existed".

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just too expensive right now to utilize in mass numbers to shift from accual people delivering.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

seems like it needs a lot of improvements and safeguards for it to work better than a delivery truck.

Current Keyboards: Ergodox w/ clears, Poker 2 w/ clears, Ducky G2 Pro w/ Blues

just curious whats gonna happenm when someone shoot one down and get it :P

looks like a really funny idea for people from the usa

they can get guns like everywhere 

i think they are useless cant ship a grapicscard for example

The first thing I thought when I saw this was how delicate those drones look. Imagine how easy it would be to take them down with a paintball or airsoft gun. Or if it randomly starts raining. I just see this going very wrong unless you are delivering to someone within a mile radius. 

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

I think it will be good as if it is drones then they are much less likely to screw up on deliveries as if a human delivers it they need to take a break every now and then, they get very tired and can go of road (this almost happened to a lorry in front of me the other week) and then the package will get ruined as well as the driver probably getting injured. If it is half an hour that will be even better, I am probably going to sound really impatient here, as it is really annoying when you order something like a PC part and you cannot wait to get it and all you can think about is that item and you can't wait for it to be delivered and nothing can distract you from it. When it does arrive you feel like you are over the moon but the problem is that if the driver has hit traffic or has had an accident then your package isn't going to be there, you are going to be disappointed and you will have to wait longer and it's worse when it still doesn't come multiple times. That's why I think it will be good for it to be only half an hour. There are possibly going to be problems though like it costing a lot at first until it isn't so new and it replaces post offices etc. That is also another problem as it will replace delivery services resulting in a loss of many jobs. There are probably a lot of other problems too but it could take another 5 years for it to start which will give the workers and companies etc plenty of time to think of a replacement job/ a way to save their company from slowly becoming useless. When it is actually ready for use though, people will probably still use standard delivery for a long time until the prices become cheaper for this delivery so even when it does come out the companies will still be in the clear for a while.

I'm not creative enough to write something smart or funny here.

just curious whats gonna happenm when someone shoot one down and get it :P

looks like a really funny idea for people from the usa

they can get guns like everywhere 

i think they are useless cant ship a grapicscard for example

Yeah you would only be able to ship certain items.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

The primary concern is security. They're going to have to strap these bad boys with cameras all around. People are going to try and take these down in order to steal what they're carrying. I know people are saying, "Well, people don't try and steal UPS trucks" but those have actual employees running them, and unlike the trucks - these 'copters could fit in the back of your trunk.

Mid-air collisions of those things would be very interesting...

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

I'm just glad we get to keep the little shipping bin. I could use some extra storage totes

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU

I think it will be good as if it is drones then they are much less likely to screw up on deliveries as if a human delivers it they need to take a break every now and then, they get very tired and can go of road (this almost happened to a lorry in front of me the other week) and then the package will get ruined as well as the driver probably getting injured. If it is half an hour that will be even better, I am probably going to sound really impatient here, as it is really annoying when you order something like a PC part and you cannot wait to get it and all you can think about is that item and you can't wait for it to be delivered and nothing can distract you from it. When it does arrive you feel like you are over the moon but the problem is that if the driver has hit traffic or has had an accident then your package isn't going to be there, you are going to be disappointed and you will have to wait longer and it's worse when it still doesn't come multiple times. That's why I think it will be good for it to be only half an hour. There are possibly going to be problems though like it costing a lot at first until it isn't so new and it replaces post offices etc. That is also another problem as it will replace delivery services resulting in a loss of many jobs. There are probably a lot of other problems too but it could take another 5 years for it to start which will give the workers and companies etc plenty of time to think of a replacement job/ a way to save their company from slowly becoming useless. When it is actually ready for use though, people will probably still use standard delivery for a long time until the prices become cheaper for this delivery so even when it does come out the companies will still be in the clear for a while.

One job replacement will be warehouse workers, when they start this they will need alot more people running the warehouses to be able to get the products moving fast enough. While this won't replace all the jobs, it will help some.

waiting for someone to shoot one down only asking for trouble sending drones. 

just shoot em down and get "free" stuff every now and then :D

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

The primary concern is security. They're going to have to strap these bad boys with cameras all around. People are going to try and take these down in order to steal what they're carrying. I know people are saying, "Well, people don't try and steal UPS trucks" but those have actual employees running them, and unlike the trucks - these 'copters could fit in the back of your trunk.

And there are people that try to steal UPS trucks.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Free drone, Yuss!!

Yuss.jpg

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

And I cant even order a pizza and have it home delivered...

Proud to be from Belgium.