Miner 2.0

notaniel101

While this might seem a bit tame/lame compared to some of the other amazing build on here, I figured I would make a log of it anyways.

What I have decided to do is build a milk crate miner so that I can hopefully stop relying on my main gaming pc for all the virtual money making, and allow me to keep all the noise and heat in another room.

Parts:

more or less whats here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cS6V

CPU- AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

MOBO- MSI FM2-A85XA-G43 ATX FM2 Motherboard

RAM- G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

GPU- MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (When it comes back into stock) X 3

PSU- SeaSonic X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (When it comes back into stock)

HDD- some random thumb drive I got off NewEgg since I'm planning on running linux, if not I have an old laptop hdd I will use.

Case- Milk Crate

The finished product should look something like this: miner.jpg

as with how the other build logs normally go, I think, I'll update this as parts arrive and I build them.

edit 12/2/13 Haven't decided if I'll run ubuntu or just use and old copy of win 7 32 bit that I ordered on accident a couple years ago

edit 12/9/13 Parts are finally arriving. I didn't find the the risers in the mail until after I had assembled the pc

QDozDJEl.jpg

3W8J5szl.jpg

lVmqcq7l.jpg

FczA15Al.jpg

EejS7kBl.jpg

edit 12/12/13, Finally took some pic of the "finished" rig and the process of putting it together

The rest of the parts finally arrived

IIewIzTl.jpg

just having some fun with the cammera

aNBpBt8l.jpg

of75iV6l.jpg

I must say that the pacjaging on the DCU 3 really impressed me, it was quite nice (compared to my sappire cards)

pEyb7hXl.jpg

rc42QPel.jpg

I am by no means a great photographer, just playing with the camera and the macro setting

mVAuPWql.jpg

Test fit in the crate so I can do some more testing before putting the risers in

ipjbxfSl.jpg

PSU won't fit inside the crate, this should work

L6rfELMl.jpg

pretty much done for now

C0SB8FWl.jpg

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

why the a 10 for the cpu

I'm not up on all the mining stuff but I assume that he has the A-10 because mining doesn't rely much on the CPU performance and is almost all GPU bound not to mention that the A-10 has Radeon 7660 graphics which he's probably leveraging too.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is an awesome build.

I hope this isn't for Bitcoins :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

This is an obvious troll. He has a video card sitting ontop of his CPU.

This is an obvious troll. He has a video card sitting ontop of his CPU.

The design is using PCI-e raisers to extend where the cards can go. This can help with temps by spacing them further apart from the other cards. Also if the raisers are open ended, then he could leverage the use of 1x slots as mining doesn't require a lot of bandwidth, just raw power. 

*edit* forgot to mention, this is going to be an epic build, subbed

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

This better not be a troll... Cuz it sounds cool.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This better not be a troll... Cuz it sounds cool.

Not a troll, parts should start arriving this week. The picture is not one I took but just one I found on images so you could have a general idea of what it will hopefully look like. 

I'm not up on all the mining stuff but I assume that he has the A-10 because mining doesn't rely much on the CPU performance and is almost all GPU bound not to mention that the A-10 has Radeon 7660 graphics which he's probably leveraging too.

I mainly got the A-10 so that I could use the computer possibly some what when its mining if I need to, so I can run all the cards at max. I wasn't planning on using the built in gpu, but if I get it to work I might/will. The A-10 is probably complete overkill for what I'm going to be using the computer for, but It came with a copy of one of the sim city games (I know, but why not). Besides that I'm paying for all of this with money from the recent price increase in LTC, so its not really out of my pocket per-se.

I was just going to say that

Litecoins

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

Looks awesome! I am planning a build that is almost exactly the same. But instead of 3x graphics cards i am getting 4x if i can. I hope this isnt a mistake for the both of us! Good luck!

How are you going to run 3 Graphics cards on a motherboard that only has 2x PCI-E slots?

How are you going to run 3 Graphics cards on a motherboard that only has 2x PCI-E slots?

Using Risers the best part about AMD is that they can run on 1x, in this application it's fine but if you expect hardcore gaming nah.

Project Restomod (In progress)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks awesome! I am planning a build that is almost exactly the same. But instead of 3x graphics cards i am getting 4x if i can. I hope this isnt a mistake for the both of us! Good luck!

How's your build coming?

You're following a guide right? I forgot which website it was but I was just reading like 10 mins ago haha. 

Good luck mining, hope it works out well for you. 

You're following a guide right? I forgot which website it was but I was just reading like 10 mins ago haha. 

Good luck mining, hope it works out well for you. 

I'm not following  a guide closely, Iv'e read through a couple and I already had another computer mining. All I had to really do for this one was pick out the parts I wanted, put them together, and then spend an annoyingly long time troubleshooting to get the program to work/work well.

Hmmm, whats wrong with 10 usb sticks and a hub?

I want to say that that is for bitecoin mining, and I'm mining litecoins.

I have an A8 in a pc I built for a server, anyways, I was using it to mine with no graphics card, however I've only used BitMinter but there client has a slow cpu power saving thing built in which you can't turn off, and it doesn't detect the apus as if they have grpahics cards in them, they are treated like a regular cpu, This build could've really only needed an A4 maybe an A6 maybe. IMO

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I'm really excited to see this in action. 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

If you are planning to mine litecoin then bad luck. Thing just turned dog shit the last week and LTC is now at 13.49 USD. Bitcoin at 487 USD.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Butter, yes, all coins go down when BT goes down. Same way the other way around. It's not the end of the world. I need to buy some risers... where can you those for cheap?