Kaspersky Labs trolled a Patent Troll and forced them to pay $5000

AlTech

Kaspersky Labs has trolled a Patent Troll and forced them to Pay $5000 USD to end the litigation.

Originally, Kaspersky Labs was being sued by a Patent Troll by the name of Wetro Lan LLC for allegedly infringing on a patent for an Internet Firewall.

In October, Kaspersky Labs found itself in a situation familiar to many tech companies: it was sued (PDF) by a do-nothing patent holder in East Texas who demanded a cash settlement before it would go away.

The patent-licensing company, Wetro Lan LLC, owned US Patent No. 6,795,918, which essentially claimed an Internet firewall. The patent was filed in 2000 despite the fact that computer network firewalls date to the 1980s. The '918 patent was used in what the Electronic Frontier Foundation called an "outrageous trolling campaign," in which dozens of companies were sued out of Wetro Lan's "headquarters," a Plano office suite that it shared with several other firms that engage in what is pejoratively called "patent-trolling." Wetro Lan's complaints argued that a vast array of Internet routers and switches infringed its patent.

Important Context:

(Basically Kaspersky's lawyers knew the Patent Troll's claims would be rejected)

"Their patent was for a firewall that's not user-configurable," Kniser said in an interview with Ars. "They knew ours was configurable. So they started taking weird positions, basically saying, 'Well, you can only configure it a little bit.' I think that would have gotten them in trouble as far as [patent] validity goes."

After refusing to pay the Patent Troll, Kaspersky Labs tried a new tactic of demanding that the Patent Troll pay for the litigation to end.

Wetro Lan's settlement demands kept dropping, down from its initial "amicable" demand of $60,000. Eventually, the demands reached $10,000—an amount that's extremely low in the world of patent litigation. Kniser tried to explain that it didn't matter how far the company dropped the demand. "Kaspersky won't pay these people even if it's a nickel," he said.

Then Kniser took a new tack.

"We said, actually, $10,000 is fine," said Kniser. "Why don't you pay us $10,000?"

And thus the Patent Troll got trolled and agreed to pay $5000 USD.

Hats off to Kaspersky for having the COURAGE to fight the patent troll like that. If this happened more often then we could potentially see fewer Patent Trolling cases in the future.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/kaspersky-lab-turns-the-tables-forces-patent-troll-to-pay-cash-to-end-case/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

xzidi.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I mean... did they think Kaspersky was a company running around with its head cut off?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Hiitchy said:

I mean... did they think Kaspersky was a company running around with its head cut off?

Most companies pay the money the Patent Trolls demand.........

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Majority of patent troll lawsuits is from texas. They are trying to stop it. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Majority of patent troll lawsuits is from texas.

I wonder why. Seems oddly specific.

Spoiler

Kaspersky - Kaspersky Success Kid

this thread calls for ALL the memes

I'm glad this happened, it's time patent trolls eat poo and die (metaphorically).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Majority of patent troll lawsuits is from texas. They are trying to stop it. 

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I wonder why. Seems oddly specific.

It's a specific area in East Texas and it's in a few specific courtrooms too that are VERY friendly to all patent holders and side with them some absurd amount of the time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's a specific area in East Texas and it's in a few specific courtrooms too that are VERY friendly to all patent holders and side with them some absurd amount of the time.

Dang it Texas, get your crap together.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

At least somebody is doing something about it.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

When the victim is better at being the troll than the troll itself.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I just heard about this on another source and checked to see if anyone had posted it.  This has to be the most amazing story I've heard in months xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I wonder why it's legal for a court/judge to be predisposed to agree with one party regardless of the facts or case put forward. And I wonder how a judge can get into such a position and not be concerned one bit that he's ridiculing his seat of power by not really considering a case objectively but instead go "they hold a patent so I guess they win".

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I wonder why it's legal for a court/judge to be predisposed to agree with one party regardless of the facts or case put forward. And I wonder how a judge can get into such a position and not be concerned one bit that he's ridiculing his seat of power by not really considering a case objectively but instead go "they hold a patent so I guess they win".

its texas duh, you not see enough movies about that place to know its close to being lawless?

bring out the banjoSSSS YIPEEE BOYSS

On 31/08/2017 at 3:11 PM, Sauron said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Kaspersky - Kaspersky Success Kid

this thread calls for ALL the memes

I'm glad this happened, it's time patent trolls eat poo and die (metaphorically).

I mean nobody nobody blink twice if they did it literally.