CBS acquires Network 10 in Australia

Allycat

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cbs-corporation-to-acquire-network-ten-in-australia-300510009.html

Another takeover by forign national for a Australian broadcaster. In the limited australian market.

Oh and yet another subcsription streeming service comming down under.

Quote: 

CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) has agreed to acquire Network Ten, one of three major commercial broadcast networks in Australia, it was announced today by Chairman and CEO Leslie Moonves. This transaction adds Network Ten to CBS Corporation's global content and distribution portfolios. In addition to core linear channel TEN, the deal includes digital terrestrial television channel (DTT) ELEVEN, which CBS already owns a 33 per cent stake, the DTT channel ONE and Network Ten's rapidly growing digital platform, TENPLAY.

At the same time, by leveraging Network Ten's linear and digital assets, CBS will also launch CBS All Access, the Company's digital subscription video on-demand service, in the Australian market. This marks another international territory announced for CBS All Access this month. The Company recently unveiled plans to make the service available in Canada next year.

brilliant, this is jut what the australian businesses needed (*note the sarcasm*)

they were however in voluntary administrasion so something needed to happen soon otherwise we would loose it all together 

so to be honest its a pretty good outcome

would have been better if it just didnt happen in the first place, but we cat have everything

If only they hadn't cancelled 6PM Simpsons, a staple of my childhood. 

/s

idk

6 minutes ago, tdrevon said:

brilliant, this is jut what the australian businesses needed (*note the sarcasm*)

they were however in voluntary administrasion so something needed to happen soon otherwise we would loose it all together 

so to be honest its a pretty good outcome

would have been better if it just didnt happen in the first place, but we cat have everything

Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon got permission from the ACCC to aquire it last week.

1 minute ago, Allycat said:

James Packer and Bruce Gordon got permission from the ACCC to aquire it last week.

yes this is true but it does not stop CBS from buying Channel 10 and im sure they will very easily if they wanted too

Our Internet is still not good enough for proper online streaming services for the majority of the country, so I don't think it will do too well. As for Channel 10 itself, lets just hope that they improve from being the equal of the courier mail (out right lies or misleading reports about certain topics or events etc).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Our Internet is still not good enough for proper online streaming services for the majority of the country, so I don't think it will do too well. As for Channel 10 itself, lets just hope that they improve from being the equal of the courier mail (out right lies or misleading reports about certain topics or events etc).

i completly agree, concering the internet thing i think alot of poeple will have decent internet in the major inner city areas by 2020 as most of these places will have NBN by then (although NBN is shit but our only better option that adsl :( )so i think that if CBS does take up channel 10 then they will takethier time for online streaming etc. 

YES!!! This is awesome!! Definitely getting CBS all access! Can not stand Australian TV, I don't even have an aerial plugged in anymore.

*This is assuming it won't just be Australian junk*

this is a good thing for Australia, someone other than Foxtel dictating content rights in our country.

Murdoch wanted to impose more restrictions to content rights in Australia thats the last thing we need.

Netflix is the only subscription service in Australia that offers 1080p and compressed 4k, the Foxtel solution is horrid 720p.

I am hopeful the size of CBS will shake up the Australia industry and reform content rights here, we will see more content on netflix if that happened and other streaming services.

They want to stop piracy fix the content right issues and most of it will go away.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

20 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Netflix is the only subscription service in Australia that offers 1080p and compressed 4k, the Foxtel solution is horrid 720p.

All resolutions from Netflix are compressed not just 4k, also Stan does 1080p and 4k, compressed of course.

24 minutes ago, Maticks said:

this is a good thing for Australia, someone other than Foxtel dictating content rights in our country.

Murdoch wanted to impose more restrictions to content rights in Australia thats the last thing we need.

I am hopeful the size of CBS will shake up the Australia industry and reform content rights here, we will see more content on netflix if that happened and other streaming services.

They want to stop piracy fix the content right issues and most of it will go away.

yes, i completly agree, the unfortunate part is that one of the australian businesses could not initiate this in the first place,

it will be great if CBS comes around and is the catalyst for all of these changes, but having an australian business do it first in australia would be even bette, unfortunatly they are all too stubborn for this

2 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

YES!!! This is awesome!! Definitely getting CBS all access! Can not stand Australian TV, I don't even have an aerial plugged in anymore.

*This is assuming it won't just be Australian junk*

Australian content laws will still apply.

41 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Actually Only 54,000 NBN subs are below 25Mb with half Australia already connected. ABS stats from last year claim more than 51% over 25Mb.  Which puts the average land line connection speed at or about 15Mb/s  Which is good enough for streaming.   

Don't bother with Akaimi state of the internet, that survey is flawed as it does not differentiate between mobile and landline. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

40 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Australian content laws will still apply.

Actually Only 54,000 NBN subs are below 25Mb with half Australia already connected. ABS stats from last year claim more than 51% over 25Mb.  Which puts the average land line connection speed at or about 15Mb/s  Which is good enough for streaming.   

Don't bother with Akaimi state of the internet, that survey is flawed as it does not differentiate between mobile and landline. 

Are the stats provided by the ISP or NBN co though? Or is a non biased third party measuring them?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Are the stats provided by the ISP or NBN co though? Or is a non biased third party measuring them?

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-reveals-54000-fttn-users-cant-get-over-25-mbps-470679

Figures come from NBN, but are under scrutiny by the ACCC and match data from the ABS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Will be vaguely annoyed if this means Star Trek Discovery gets shifted from Netflix to CBS' service... but other than that, eh. Who actually watches commercial tv?
(Insert grumblings about US corps buying Australian stuff here)

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

As for Channel 10 itself, lets just hope that they improve from being the equal of the courier mail (out right lies or misleading reports about certain topics or events etc).

If you're expecting better from CBS, you'll be sorely disappointed.  CBS is only rivaled by PMSNBC for outright blatant falsehoods (though ABC and CNN aren't too far behind).