AMD ships over 25,000 Radeon RX Vega graphics cards

YongKang
26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well, the person I responded to, whom specifically tagged me and told me to read the post, said that there is a 2-3 performance difference when there is clearly more.

Both you and that person has since said that there is a big difference when the memory is overclocked but so far I have seen no evidence of this. Like I said before, the only reviews I have seen struggled to overclock the card at all, and I have not seen any review compare only memory overclock vs only core overclock so I would like to see that before I buy into those arguments.

Not saying that the arguments are wrong, but I won't believe them without evidence. Especially not when the person who told me that is quite a bit off regarding the performance difference between power profiles.

They didn't finalize all the tests,  but GamersNexus did a couple OC/UV lives 

You can see the txt in various parts of the video, but there's a "final" one at 2:02:35, with earlier tests showing up in the same txt in other parts of the video (like 1:32:58)

Power target has a large impact, HBM2 too and core clock looks like it's giving a good a mount of performance uplift only with PWR up and no undervolt, so HBM2 OC+ core UV seems the best way to get Vega performance and perf/W up by quite a margin

They only tested FS though and OC at launch was a lot sketchy, while now is a little more stable, though Vega and its drivers are clearly not in an actual finalized state.

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

Oh and Vega 56 memory OC limit is between 980 and 1000 Mhz, the 1000Mhz is only if you're extremely lucky and was more alluded to as possible in the Gamers Nexus video.

Vega64 margin should be a bit higher, since HBM is at 1.35V on 64 and FE and 1.3V on 56

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

-snip-

3 hours ago, Agost said:

-snip-

I haven't watched the video yet, but from reading these posts I really don't think they prove that Vega is memory bottlenecked anywhere the same degree that was claimed earlier in the thread.

It doesn't sound to me like there is any solid evidence to determine just how much memory bottlenecked Vega is at all. For all I know (after reading these posts) it might be just as memory bottlenecked as Pascal is (which for all I know might not really be memory bottlenecked).

I will look at the video later, but the person who called me out made it sound like you could overclock the core 20% and get like 3-4% performance increase, while a 20% memory overclock gave a 19% performance increase.

That's the kind of evidence I would like to see.

I mean... the video linked isn't even about the same card. It's about Vega 56 and not Vega 64.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I mean... the video linked isn't even about the same card. It's about Vega 56 and not Vega 64.

Same chip, no big difference. Maybe V64 could be even more memory bottlenecked due to larger number of shaders.

Hardwareluxx oc/uv test showed V56 performing practically the same as V64 with less than 80MHz higher gpu clock (both HBM2 at 1000 MHz)

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

On 8/27/2017 at 0:50 AM, Jurrunio said:

I guess someone in AMD must have regretted using HBM2 on Vega. Expensive and limited production of this hurts this company which desperately needs more money.

HBM2 memory is the future. Everything is getting smaller not larger. Form factor alone in everything from tablets to computers will use it not gddr5. It also uses less power.

On 8/27/2017 at 5:09 AM, Mihle said:

So they didnt expect selling more than 25 000 then.

Its not just 25,000. They have Ryzen, Thread Ripper, Epyc and Vega plus the 25,000. AMD has a lot going on.

4 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

Its not just 25,000. They have Ryzen, Thread Ripper, Epyc and Vega plus the 25,000. AMD has a lot going on.

I know, I am talking about Vega not other stuff.

My point, they have sold 25 000 and they are sold out everywhere...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Jahramika said:

HBM2 memory is the future. Everything is getting smaller not larger. Form factor alone in everything from tablets to computers will use it not gddr5. It also uses less power.

The thing is, AMD is quite poor when compared to its main (and only) competitor in the GPU market, Nvidia. I think they should put equal priority on making money and applying new technology. HBM itself is new and potent, but it doesnt make any money at its current state. If AMD wants to develop this immature technology, then they shouldn't use it on mainstream cards, instead save it for workstation cards like the Frontier Edition or Radeon Pro Duo. Being workstation cards means they can sell them at much higher prices, balancing out the high cost on HBM.

I doubt if any tablet or computers without a dedicated graphics card will use GDDR5 or HBM at all. GDDR and HBM memory arent suitable as RAM.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s