7700k now or wait for 8700k

Which should I go for. I want to upgrade but am debating weather to wait. Also does anybody know when 8700k launches?

Maxwell Euan Day

I have 2 seperate systems one which is X99 with a 6850k and 1080 and my other system is a 4790k with a 980ti. The second is what I want to upgrade I know I dont need to but I kinda have money to burn atm.

Maxwell Euan Day

1 minute ago, TheSmartPotato said:

I have 2 seperate systems one which is X99 with a 6850k and 1080 and my other system is a 4790k with a 980ti. The second is what I want to upgrade I know I dont need to but I kinda have money to burn atm.

Both of those CPU's are still top of the line.  There is no reason to upgrade either, because it's barely even an upgrade.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Would you even consider AMD? 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Just now, ErickS89 said:

Even AMD wouldn't be worth it.  They're both such good CPU's it's a waste of money.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Both of those CPU's are still top of the line.  There is no reason to upgrade either, because it's barely even an upgrade.

I know they are both good but with upgrading one that leaves me with a third system to either sell or chuck a cheap GPU in and use as a tertiary PC 

Maxwell Euan Day

1 minute ago, ErickS89 said:

I would but the only upgrade would be threadripper and that is just a bit too much for me. I worked out I could do threadripper for £1400 roughly but 7700k for about £800 with other add ons that is

Maxwell Euan Day

Just now, TheSmartPotato said:

I know they are both good but with upgrading one that leaves me with a third system to either sell or chuck a cheap GPU in and use as a tertiary PC 

Well the 6850K one is already better than a 7700K, so there isn't any point there.  You'll probably get an extra 15% performance if you upgrade the 4790K one.  I'd suggest a Ryzen 1700 over Intel.  Nobody knows when Coffee Lake will come out.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Well the 6850K one is already better than a 7700K, so there isn't any point there.  You'll probably get an extra 15% performance if you upgrade the 4790K one.  I'd suggest a Ryzen 1700 over Intel.  Nobody knows when Coffee Lake will come out.

Yeah I want going to change my X99 system just the other. That 15% is fine with me as I have somebody who wants to buy my 4790k system anyways. just wothout the GPU.

X99: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6ZhwZ8

Z97: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PBgGZ8

Maxwell Euan Day

Yeah I want going to change my X99 system just the other. That 15% is fine with me as I have somebody who wants to buy my 4790k system anyways. just wothout the GPU.

X99: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6ZhwZ8

Z97: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PBgGZ8

You'll get more than 15% if you buy a Ryzen 1700 and 3200MHz RAM.

you have a very capable cpu right now so i see no reason not to wait for more info about the i7 8700k. I would wait for it to come out and for third party review and then make a decision. I mean its not like your in a hurry to upgrade or anything.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

You'll get more than 15% if you buy a Ryzen 1700 and 3200MHz RAM.

From what I know only in multi-core situations also with the extortionate RAM prices atm I want to keep that cost as low as possible because a 16gb 3200mhz kit from a 'good' brand is ~£150 yet when I built my main system it cost me £80

Maxwell Euan Day

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

you have a very capable cpu right now so i see no reason not to wait for more info about the i7 8700k. I would wait for it to come out and for third party review and then make a decision. I mean its not like your in a hurry to upgrade or anything.

Hopefully they will be out in the next couple of months because the person who wants to buy my 4790k system would be buying it then. But I agree waiting is probably the best solution

Maxwell Euan Day

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I am in this dilemma currently, my aging 2500k system has mobo issues, I just tried to build with Ryzen 5 1600 & 1600x, with 2 different mobo's. and couldn't get it stable. so I ordered the 7700k. and canceled it 12 hours later. gonna wait for 8700k. more future proof.

I'm told it is in about a month. But how long after launch until good mobo's and supply??? no idea.

I have had this system for over 5 years, hope the next do the same. no point settling for only 4 cores when 6 is just around the corner!

Hopefully they will be out in the next couple of months because the person who wants to buy my 4790k system would be buying it then. But I agree waiting is probably the best solution

I know I heard that more info would be released about it in the next coming months 

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Buy the 7700k and send me the 4790k, problem solved.

Im good thanks. Can make about £400 off that system

Maxwell Euan Day

Just now, TheSmartPotato said:

From what I know only in multi-core situations also with the extortionate RAM prices atm I want to keep that cost as low as possible because a 16gb 3200mhz kit from a 'good' brand is ~£150 yet when I built my main system it cost me £80

All the brands are the same.  There isn't a better brand of RAM.  You're right about it being more expensive, but Ryzen is also cheaper than an i7.

1 minute ago, Duluxdoggy said:

I am in this dilemma currently, my aging 2500k system has mobo issues, I just tried to build with Ryzen 5 1600 & 1600x, with 2 different mobo's. and couldn't get it stable. so i ordered the 7700k. and cancelled it 12 hours later. gonna wait for 8700k. more future proof. im told it is in about a month.

Yeah 2500k is old but stills strong really. What were the issues with your Ryzen system?

Maxwell Euan Day

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

All the brands are the same.  There isn't a better brand of RAM.  You're right about it being more expensive, but Ryzen is also cheaper than an i7.

Not really I refering to looks though. I dont like the bare PCBs or cheap looking heat spreaders. There are good brands just only in looks. 

Maxwell Euan Day

3 minutes ago, TheSmartPotato said:

Yeah 2500k is old but stills strong really. What were the issues with your Ryzen system?

couldn't run any monitoring software. if i did, even without anything running the system would instantly lock, black screen, need to turn psu off to reset... case buttons unresponsive. tried various parts. sent em all back...

The only part i couldn't be arsed swapping out was the Corsair 3200MHz led ram. but tested with each stick individually. 

but when it worked, the performance was a BIG step up from my system. and going back to this feels crap! cant wait for the new stuff.

Not really I refering to looks though. I dont like the bare PCBs or cheap looking heat spreaders. There are good brands just only in looks. 

Fair.  You'll save £30 by going with a 1700.  Buying 3200MHz RAM instead of 2400MHz RAM is about £30 more.

Just now, Duluxdoggy said:

couldn't run any monitoring software. if i did, even without anything running the system would instantly lock, black screen, need to turn psu off to reset... case buttons unresponsive. tried various parts. sent em all back...

but when it worked, the performance was a BIG step up from my system. and going back to this feels crap! cant wait for the new stuff.

Shame I have built a couple of Ryzen systems for friends and a company owned by my close family friends and they seemed good. Maybe just unlucky. Hope your new stuff is better in terms of luck.

Maxwell Euan Day

2 minutes ago, Duluxdoggy said:

did you update the bios?