New Wifi Card?

JoshTheTrix

Hey guys,

I just bought an XPS 13 and I love it, but there is one issue... The wifi card is complete ass. If I'm right next to my router everything is fine but when I move even 12 feet from it into my room, I cant even stream hd video consistently. Do you think I can solve this with a drivers update or should I just replace the stock card? If so, do you guys recommend any really good cards?

- Sic Trix

23 minutes ago, JoshTheTrix said:

Hey guys,

I just bought an XPS 13 and I love it, but there is one issue... The wifi card is complete ass. If I'm right next to my router everything is fine but when I move even 12 feet from it into my room, I cant even stream hd video consistently. Do you think I can solve this with a drivers update or should I just replace the stock card? If so, do you guys recommend any really good cards?

Huh, that's kind of odd considering my XPS 15 9560 has no problems on WiFi. However, a quick Google search does seem to indicate that the XPS 13 is hit or miss depending on the WiFi card they install at the factory for some reason. Maybe you can talk to Dell support and see if they can send you a replacement WiFi card like this guy did: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19999668

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Huh, that's kind of odd considering my XPS 15 9560 has no problems on WiFi. However, a quick Google search does seem to indicate that the XPS 13 is hit or miss depending on the WiFi card they install at the factory for some reason. Maybe you can talk to Dell support and see if they can send you a replacement WiFi card like this guy did: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19999668

Thanks I'll give it a go. Sounds like he and I are having the same issue because my gaming pc, phone, etc are all fine 

- Sic Trix

Well if your room is only 12feet away from the router as you say then why you dont buy a 12feet ethernet cable?
My cousin bought a 100feet cable for 10$.

wifi is garbage in general but yah thats an anoying problem, either ask Dell support which i hear is exelent or go find a new one on the used market thats dual band and has good range and stuff, seen decent ones going for under $20

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would return it, most USB wifi solutions are terrible if not worse. If a laptop that new has an issue like this its not worth hanging on to it. Its annoying but these things happen. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?