8 Gigs of Ram is all you need!

The memory I have was 85 bucks when I got it, and now the same kit is over 150 on Newegg, so I'm happy with my purchase

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I have 16 GB of DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3 RAM. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others

I Don't just game I dabble in 3d Modelling and Game Design. So I decided to do a test, How much ram do I actually use?

To start I ran these Programs All at once:

Blender (3d Modelling program) With a cube subdivided to have 1958592 Polygons.

Skyrim (Standing on top of a mountain staring at a solitude)

Minecraft (Max view distance)

Crysis 2 (Middle of a firefight with CELL and Aliens)

Other open programs:

Google Chrome

Steam

Origin

Antivirus

I did not disable any windows programs for this test.

I monitored the used RAM with my Logitech G510 Keyboard and found that during the entire test the RAM stayed at 45% except once it jumped to 47% usage. That means that I never went past 8 Gigs. I had previously ran the test with the battlefield 4 Beta under all the same conditions and the RAM never once jumped over 50% usage.

This means that you do not need more than 6 gigs unless you are doing some crazy video rendering and 3d Modelling. Definitely not if you are only playing the Best games out there.

So instead of buying this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others for $173

Get this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53427&vpn=CMX8GX3M2A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair for $89

:rolleyes: Read this post.....http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/105267-expanding-ram/?hl=32gb and give virtualTune your sound advice...... -_-

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

those memorys you posted have some ugly ugly timings. 9-9-9-24 for 1333 is awfull

those memorys you posted have some ugly ugly timings. 9-9-9-24 for 1333 is awfull

thats stock ddr3

After Effects will normally use as much RAM as possible so Rendering is quicker. I've had times when I was reaching 22GB of RAM Usage

§ ragedev.net §

• 1 month later...

I have 16 GB of DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3 RAM. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others

I Don't just game I dabble in 3d Modelling and Game Design. So I decided to do a test, How much ram do I actually use?

Other open programs:

Google Chrome

Steam

Origin

Antivirus

I monitored the used RAM with my Logitech G510 Keyboard and found that during the entire test the RAM stayed at 45% except once it jumped to 47% usage. That means that I never went past 8 Gigs. I had previously ran the test with the battlefield 4 Beta under all the same conditions and the RAM never once jumped over 50% usage.

This means that you do not need more than 6 gigs unless you are doing some crazy video rendering and 3d Modelling. Definitely not if you are only playing the Best games out there.

So instead of buying this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others for $173

Get this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53427&vpn=CMX8GX3M2A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair for $89

Start running multiple VMs.

./no

My extremely-modded skyrim uses 9gb. That said it is horribly broken. I dont feel like fixing it.

I would classify that as a non standard task :P The test was on how much ram I use not how much ram I COULD use. Of course if I wanted to I could use 64 gigs or more of ram

It should be a standard task if you're serious about game development. I (begrudgingly) have to frequently boot into OSX to test.

./no

I load  5 or 6 youtube videos in 4k so I have higher bitrate, watch a stream while they load, render a video and play BF4. It goes up to almost 9gb or ram. 

9gb Ram

I load  5 or 6 youtube videos in 4k so I have higher bitrate, watch a stream while they load, render a video and play BF4. It goes up to almost 9gb or ram. 

That is more like a stress test, I was doing a real world test to see how much I usually would use, I Don't have 4K and if I did I would not do 5 4k vids at once :P

8GB is basicly enough for a gaming rig.

However if you do rendering, video editing or productivity, or working with Virtualization alot, then its better to grab more ram.

Ive got 16GB myself because i realy play alot with VM's.

That is more like a stress test, I was doing a real world test to see how much I usually would use, I Don't have 4K and if I did I would not do 5 4k vids at once :P

The reason for watching in 4k is because it makes youtube give you a higher bitrate so even with a 1080p monitor it looks better. 

I'm considering getting more ram just to fill the ram slots in my motherboard.  Ram for aesthetics.  call me crazy but im sure you guys understand me. haha

hopefully ram prices go down though?  You guys think it will keep going up or go down again?  It's stupidly expensive right now, like gasoline!

I was using at 7 GB of 8 while playing arma 2 (+40mods) with shadowplay, WoW and chrome with youtube + few tabs opened.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

The only reason I have 16GB RAM is because memory leaks in Battlefield 4 and the Titanfall beta took longer to catch up with me. I also like lots and lots of tabs open in Firefox in the background while gaming plus I usually have qBittorrent running as well. I would, however, agree that 8GB is more than adequate for your average gamer. For video editing and such, 16GB should be considered entry level.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

When i have around 30 tabs open on chrome and play league i get a windows message popping up telling me that the program is running low on memory. I guess chrome is a memory whore and having 30 tabs open is a bit silly but for me that would have been enough reason to buy more if RAM prices were not stupid at the moment. I bought my Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB kit for $42 and now it's literally double that.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

I don't think the OP's point is that there are no uses for more than 8 gb. The headline might be a bit misleading but he has a point in regards to what most people need.

a lot of standard users who only game and browse on their desktops still buy 16 gbs on rams, and that is not necessary.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

• 3 weeks later...

Other open programs:

Google Chrome

Steam

Origin

Antivirus

You are probably wearing your hard drive because of the page file...

-Open the Start Menu and go to Control Panel
-Click on the System icon
-Select the Advanced tab
-Under Performance, click Settings
-Go to Advanced
-Under Virtual Memory, click Change
-Select No Paging File and then click Set
-Click OK in all the menus
-Restart

Then come again and tell me if indeed 8 GB of ram is enough. (16 GB is ok though in most cases and you also will notice a perfomance boost when disabling the page file) 

You are probably wearing your hard drive because of the page file...

-Open the Start Menu and go to Control Panel

-Click on the System icon

-Select the Advanced tab

-Under Performance, click Settings

-Go to Advanced

-Under Virtual Memory, click Change

-Select No Paging File and then click Set

-Click OK in all the menus

-Restart

Then come again and tell me if indeed 8 GB of ram is enough.

It is for me unless I want to run bunches of things while gaming or something else as memory intensive.