8 Gigs of Ram is all you need!

It is for me unless I want to run bunches of things while gaming or something else as memory intensive.

1) if it is useless for you then do not do it I was reffering FileCorrupted to do this.

2) its not a good idea to benchmark things while gaming the results are missleading and make no actual sense not even for refference on how the system perfoms if streassed since ther results are not reproducalbe and are instable. 

1) if it is useless for you then do not do it I was reffering FileCorrupted to do this.

2) its not a good idea to benchmark things while gaming the results are missleading and make no actual sense not even for refference on how the system perfoms if streassed since ther results are not reproducalbe and are instable.

huh?

huh?

Nothing I need to go to sleep its 7 A.M now and I didnt sleep all night :P sorry and good night from me... :P

I read this: 

It is useless for me I want to run benches of things while gaming or something else as memory intensive.

So do you use Page file? or have you disabled it?

I have 16gbs of ram and I'm always using 65% to 95% of all my ram.... what happens when you have photoshop, chrome(at least 150+ tabs), trading platform, skype, teamspeak, firefox, steam, bittorrent, and other numerous smaller programs open all the time. 

I've actually been considering grabbing 32gbs of ram for my next build if work goes well next month... lol....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Gaming = 8GB. Editing/Rendering/Programs That Need A lot of Power to Run = 16GB. Gaming+Editing.Rendering = Still 16GB. 

I have 20 gigs of ram all I do is game lol I know it's a waste I just fell into it. The only time I go over 8GB of ram is when I'm running about 3 or 4 virtual machines

Yes... that is what I said...

And I ask you again turn off the page file and see how much your memory is used.

when i use after effects and have 5-10 layers only after effects alone is using 8 gigs

One PSD weighing in at ~500mb on the low end will end up taking 8GB alone. 

God help my system if I had Lightroom open at the same time, a single library of 8000 photos can chew up 4-5GBs on its own. 

8GB for only gaming? Go for it. 

16GB? Its not really required for only gaming, but if you do any further work you'll be begging for it. 32GB is for shits and giggles but to be honest if I could do 32GB I would in a heartbeat. CS6 would love the extra headroom for a few PSDs at a time, and I could keep other apps open as well. 

16GB right now just doesn't cut it in that regard for me anymore. 

RAM prices are a different animal entirely, seeing as how its gotten so expensive lately.

• 3 months later...

i use nearly 6 GB when rendering a 10 min video

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I have 2x4gb gb of gskill 1600 MHz ram in my new system. And i have two spare 2x2gb Samsung 1333 mhz in my old one. If I add those two to my new system , I know all the rams will be down to 1333 MHz. Will it affect performance,primarily in gaming ?

for purely gaming, yes 8gb is plenty i have yet to see more than 6gb being used by any game including os and all sh!t running in the background.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have 2x4gb gb of gskill 1600 MHz ram in my new system. And i have two spare 2x2gb Samsung 1333 mhz in my old one. If I add those two to my new system , I know all the rams will be down to 1333 MHz. Will it affect performance,primarily in gaming ?

yes it will, dont do that no game use more than 4 or 5 gb anyway.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Opened up mudbox got a random basic car model. Set it to level 8; running 33.4million polygons in realtime on this car alone lighting and shaded. with 7 chrome tabs open thats using about 6.86gb's of ram.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I have 16 GB of DDR3-1600 Corsair XMS3 RAM. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others

I Don't just game I dabble in 3d Modelling and Game Design. So I decided to do a test, How much ram do I actually use?

To start I ran these Programs All at once:

Blender (3d Modelling program) With a cube subdivided to have 1958592 Polygons.

Skyrim (Standing on top of a mountain staring at a solitude)

Minecraft (Max view distance)

Crysis 2 (Middle of a firefight with CELL and Aliens)

Other open programs:

Google Chrome

Steam

Origin

Antivirus

I did not disable any windows programs for this test.

I monitored the used RAM with my Logitech G510 Keyboard and found that during the entire test the RAM stayed at 45% except once it jumped to 47% usage. That means that I never went past 8 Gigs. I had previously ran the test with the battlefield 4 Beta under all the same conditions and the RAM never once jumped over 50% usage.

This means that you do not need more than 6 gigs unless you are doing some crazy video rendering and 3d Modelling. Definitely not if you are only playing the Best games out there.

So instead of buying this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76335&vpn=CMX16GX3M2A1600C11&manufacture=Others for $173

Get this RAM: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53427&vpn=CMX8GX3M2A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair for $89

Ok, now shut off your page file (much better performance at the cost of memory) and try to claim this again.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I use 7.5GB for a 6GB @ 4k block ramcache alone.  With these things becoming commonplace through things like Samsung's RAPID, the multitude of other productive uses people have cited, and the relatively low cost of RAM, I think 8GB is not enough, actually.  I consider 16GB minimum now.

• 2 weeks later...

i use nearly 6 GB when rendering a 10 min video

Hard to tell from your profile pic, but i'm pretty sure that Jacksepticeye... your profile pic is giving my ram a BOSS OVERLOAD

But seriously, of course, but for me I don't consider rendering an ordinary task, this test was a test of all the things I would ever normally do (yes I often run BF4, BF3, Minecraft, and other games all at the same time :P)