8 Gigs of Ram is all you need!

Not true, when you edit even a 10 sec video, your ram usage is way over 8GB

(When i edited intro for my channel i used 27GB of ram)

What happens when i edited this then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqnFH4xqgSc

Or this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdBM5vxHRE

I am unsure about whatever the hell you are doing, but i only have 8GB of ram, i rarely go over 4GB in my system, my max was 5.6GB, that was with YT open running a music video, editing a video in Cyberlink Power Director, i also use Maya and 3DSMAX.

I see wut u did thar.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

My intro is 4k, 60Hz :P

De pixies O.o

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Or you can just get the 16gb because the total system price is virtually the same and then you don't have to worry about future applications using more RAM...

Google chrome is damn RAM thirsty. I just upgraded from 8Gb because I have the Thunderjolt syndrome.

With only basic apps running (chrome/steam/hex/etc), I get around 7.5/16gb. So glad I paid the extra $30 for doubled capacity.

La`~

• 4 weeks later...

For gaming, you don't need more then 8GB of RAM. However, there is still a point in having more even if you don't actively use it: caching. Windows and Linux will keep programs you close in RAM until it actually need the memory for something else. That way, when you reopen the program, it will be quicker than the first time you opened it. Windows even goes one step further and will actively load things you might need in RAM before you actually need 'em (superfetch).

Is it just my age showing that I can get by with 4-8gb and not have any issues? When im done with an app I close it, plain and simple.

I use 10GB compressed RAM in mavericks by Google Chrome alone... I'd figure you'd need more than 8gigs

Well, I like 16gb of RAM. It gives me the options to have multiple Minecraft servers running on my main pc without having to juggle anything around. LHB2ceW.png

I have 12 gigs of ram and while rendering i get this:

image30.png

Do dont tell renderers that 8 gig is enough, lol

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

image30.png

Running 200 things in the background is your issue.

I render myself.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Running 200 things in the background is your issue.

I render myself.

i was running nothing. I never run anything expect sony vegas becuze then i get bugs after rendering

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I develop games and If I didn't have a computer at work with 64GB of ram, I would never be able to get the rendering and testing I need to get done, done.

WTF kind of games are you developing, I develop games, mind you they aren't AAA but I never could imagine what would need 64 GB of ram lol. but seriously though what are you developing?

image30.png

i get that playing project cars sometimes. i think 8gb is the absolute minimum you want for a normal gaming pc.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i get that playing project cars sometimes. i think 8gb is the absolute minimum you want for a normal gaming pc.

same here, Well before i was almost always recommending 8 gig is enough for gaming, but i am starting to recommend 16 instead these days, games eat more and more

WTF kind of games are you developing, I develop games, mind you they aren't AAA but I never could imagine what would need 64 GB of ram lol. but seriously though what are you developing?

Rendering extremely high resolution textures sucks up a lot of ram, Just basic games. My last one I rendered a car and used 54 gb of ram just doing that, mind it was very detailed.

Rendering extremely high resolution textures sucks up a lot of ram, Just basic games. My last one I rendered a car and used 54 gb of ram just doing that, mind it was very detailed.

interesting I never run into that what are the texture resolutions at?

Hello (first post)!

The consensus regarding games+amount of ram (8GB) is spot on.

My main machine is the DAW/hub for my studio. An issue which is often unnoticed related to ram-amount(s) is the ridiculous "oomph" required of computer HW for audio purposes.

Running certain kinds of vst(i)s will blitz resources e.g; i don't know of any (single) computer now capable of running full instances of various VSL vstis. Couple that /w recording several channels of audio @ 24/192 /w decent dynamic plugs/reverb etc...and ouch! I use an "old" nep/i7-920 /w 24gig...[its] ONLY purpose= offload processing of vst(i).

With visual (maya/rendering traced graphics etc) stuff, rendering is part the process. With recording many parts of the process must be real-time, same dynamic as real time rendering per FPS gaming. Not much fun playing @ -10min FPS then 60FPS~1 minute!

I regret purchasing only 1 32gig kit last year when the price was 180$ (corsair v/1600)...was negligent in following ram s/d & prices. The plan was to buy another kit "at same cost". Whoops!

As soon as HDD prices (mostly) recovered from the floods, ram goes parabolic!

General ? For all: Do any mobos/PC configs exist as of present time which hold more than 64gig? Super computers/proprietary uber platforms excluded!

I saw on VSL's site a link to a German computer/build company (think northwest falcon but for VSL software). It was a while ago, if I remember correctly the computers were ots /w crazy specs (128gig+ ram etc). Pro-sound cards cost more than a 6 core Titan SLI config, which explains my ignorance concerning "super" non supercomputers!

Ty

(Trying to find where to enter bio info on this dang eye-fone app thing)

Its pretty much the norm now to have 16 gigs in a new rig as it will futureproof it.

The new games been developed and that will come out in the future will pretty much use more ram and graphics so its just smart to get a 16 gig kit if your building a new computer.

I have 16 gig as i do editing, 3D drawing, games, work, and simulation games like FSX use up more than most games.

so it all depends on what you are using your computer for.

got to love Asus components

Your keyboard may be off? Also if you run any vm's your ram usage will skyrocket.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised nobody is talking about aesthetics and only performance.
I got 16gb for aesthetics. On my mobo it would have looked bad with empty slots. and the glow is brighter with all 4 sticks in.

Buying more ram isn't always for performance. You don't really need sleeved or braided cables, but I get Corsairs sleeved red cables  because they look killer in my rig which is a red/black Corsair build.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Surprised nobody is talking about aesthetics and only performance.

I got 16gb for aesthetics. On my mobo it would have looked bad with empty slots. and the glow is brighter with all 4 sticks in.

Buying more ram isn't always for performance. You don't really need sleeved or braided cables, but I get Corsairs sleeved red cables  because they look killer in my rig which is a red/black Corsair build.

Agree. I also got my RAM 16GB because of aesthetics, cause it seems ugly looking at empty RAM slots on your motherboard.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

For typical daily tasks and gaming you indeed wont ever need more than 8GB. More than 99% of all games are compiled with a 32-bit compiler. So most games themselves cannot allocate more than 4 GB of memory. Future games will utilize 64-bit compilers and will be able to use beyond that limit.

Well let me put it this way when I only have 8gb of ram in order to play any game I jave to close atbleast firefox if not soemething else otherwise ill run out of memory and windows will be a meanie andnstart closing things.