Alexa being integrated into Exoskeletons

WMGroomAK

Bionik Laboratories has begun testing an integration of Amazon's Alexa AI into it's Arke lower body exoskeleton as a mechanism to help use it.  Currently this is limited to being within range of an Amazon Echo device and to voice commands such as "Alexa, I'm ready to stand" or "Alexa, I'm ready to walk', however, I would think it's not too much extra work to integrate an Echo device right into the suit.  Just to be clear, the Arke exoskeletons are currently meant for people suffering from disabilities related to spinal injuries, strokes or brain injuries, where motor control has become impaired so no walking robot suits yet.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/16/exoskeleton-amazon-alexa/

Exoskeletons don't come cheap and they're not one size fits all, making them a daunting prospect for the average buyer. But, some companies are working towards changing that. In December, Hyundai promised to make the suits cheaper. And, researchers are using machine learning to make them more accessible for people with mobility issues. That's where Bionik Laboratories comes in. The startup is adding Amazon's Alexa to its Arke lower-body exoskeleton, allowing wearers to control it with their voice. The exoskeleton is mainly aimed at those who have suffered spinal injuries. Although, its lower-body support mechanism could also aid stroke and traumatic brain injury victims, claims the company.

With Alexa integration, users will be able to bark orders at the suit -- such as "Alexa, I'm ready to stand" or "Alexa, I'm ready to walk." This will activate the sensors in Arke's feet and joints, allowing it to carry out the actions. However, there is a slight niggle: Currently the functionality only works if you're within range of an Amazon Echo. Additionally, this version is just a prototype -- it still has to pass clinical trials and FDA approvals before a public launch.

Alexa is proving a versatile AI, but pairing it with an exoskeleton is a bold move. After all, people currently use their Amazon Echo to skip Charlie Puth tracks or order toilet roll. Whether or not it will make for a reliable assistant for those with physical impairments (where every command becomes critical), remains to be seen.

Integrating personal assistant AI into these kind of suits will definitely help with long term care for people who need them and it's only a matter of time before we see more come out of it.  Of course, this leads to whether you can change the voice and name to JARVIS...

This is actually pretty cool, Until Alexa becomes self aware and controls peoples legs

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

It would be interesting to see if this is simply using Alexa's voice recognition and propriatery software controlling to response to the command or Alexa directly obtaining the command *and* using the sensors to send instructions to the mechanism of the suit. If it were the latter I would be much more concerned about AI interfering with life critical systems such as this. On the other hand Amazon probably has better security so less potential ways to attack the object

So like Jarvis?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

So like Jarvis?

Or Karen.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus