Different type of fiber optic cords

MusicMayne

As title states - I'm wondering what the difference is between fiber optic cable.

I keep seeing these terms and numbers but no clue to what they represent.  Briefly searched this forum to see if I could find it but no cigar.

• singlemode
  • multimode
  • 9/125
  • 50/125, OM3

A complete newb when it comes to fiber optic as you can tell, but this is to help me on my project which is here: 

Single Mode is a single wavelength of light and can reach really long distances, like 10km+ with the right optic behind it but those can be VERY expensive.

The 9 is the diameter of the core, the part that light will pass through.

The 125 is the outer diameter of the cable cladding, the part that wraps around the core.

Both numbers are in microns I believe.

Multi-Mode is multiple wavelengths and can be used for much shorter distances but is also generally much cheaper.

Multi-Mode also comes in 62.5/125 as well

The different core sizes can dictate what kind of light will pass through, smaller core sizes for single light and single strand and larger core sizes for multiple strands to carry multiple wavelengths.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Single Mode is a single wavelength of light and can reach really long distances, like 10km+ with the right optic behind it but those can be VERY expensive.

The 9 is the diameter of the core, the part that light will pass through.

The 125 is the outer diameter of the cable cladding, the part that wraps around the core.

Both numbers are in microns I believe.

Multi-Mode is multiple wavelengths and can be used for much shorter distances but is also generally much cheaper.

Multi-Mode also comes in 62.5/125 as well

The different core sizes can dictate what kind of light will pass through, smaller core sizes for single light and single strand and larger core sizes for multiple strands to carry multiple wavelengths.

Thanks for the explanation.

--

My situation is this:  I live in rural America with no signal around my house at all.  However, 500ft-600ft on the tip top of the hill behind the house gets 3 solid bars.

What type of fiber optic would you recommend to me in this situation?

1 minute ago, MusicMayne said:

Thanks for the explanation.

--

My situation is this:  I live in rural America with no signal around my house at all.  However, 500ft-600ft on the tip top of the hill behind the house gets 3 solid bars.

What type of fiber optic would you recommend to me in this situation?

At just a few hundred feet, I would recommend multi-mode, the optics are generally far cheaper and unless you're doing 100Gbit and up, you'll be just fine. I think 10Gbit MM is rated for 500 meters.

You'll want burial grade fiber regardless.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

At just a few hundred feet, I would recommend multi-mode, the optics are generally far cheaper and unless you're doing 100Gbit and up, you'll be just fine. I think 10Gbit MM is rated for 500 meters.

You'll want burial grade fiber regardless.

What do you think of this?:

fiberoptic.png

1 minute ago, MusicMayne said:

What do you think of this?:

-snip-

I would go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Direct-Burial-Outdoor-Capable/dp/B01J66FRC4?th=1

It's more expensive but unless you want to buy all the equipment to terminate the ends yourself, it's worth it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

40 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I would go with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Direct-Burial-Outdoor-Capable/dp/B01J66FRC4?th=1

It's more expensive but unless you want to buy all the equipment to terminate the ends yourself, it's worth it.

Thanks for the help!

I will for sure get that - will save on getting conduit.

With this type of wire going from 500'-600' would I need a booster/amp and what would you recommend on that?

11 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

Thanks for the help!

I will for sure get that - will save on getting conduit.

With this type of wire going from 500'-600' would I need a booster/amp and what would you recommend on that?

No need, it shouldn't have an issue traveling the distance, if we were talking 500 meters or something that would be different.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No need, it shouldn't have an issue traveling the distance, if we were talking 500 meters or something that would be different.

What about this antenna - would you recommend this?

Antenna.png

18 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

What about this antenna - would you recommend this?

That looks pretty solid.

Do you have a 4G router you'll connect it to and does that router have an SFP port?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

That looks pretty solid.

Do you have a 4G router you'll connect it to and does that router have an SFP port?

Honestly, I'm just brainstorming it all out.  Asking on this forum and browsing the web for tid bits here and there.

I chose that particular one cause it was weatherproof.

As for the 4g router, I haven't looked into that but if you could recommend one I will check it out.

Thanks again

3 minutes ago, MusicMayne said:

Honestly, I'm just brainstorming it all out.  Asking on this forum and browsing the web for tid bits here and there.

I chose that particular one cause it was weatherproof.

As for the 4g router, I haven't looked into that but if you could recommend one I will check it out.

Thanks again

What carrier are you looking at?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I really like the first one but what you mean is I need both of these to properly set up this connection?

Also check this picture out to make sure I'm brainstorming it all out correctly.

Antenna 3.png

11 hours ago, MusicMayne said:

I really like the first one but what you mean is I need both of these to properly set up this connection?

So, you'll need some way to get the fiber into the antenna.

The easiest way to do that is to pair it with a router and switch.

Router <--> Switch via copper cable

Switch <--> Home via fiber

You'll also need a way to get power to that point as well.

Edit:

I see your diagram, let me check with some people at work and see what the distance for cable is for this type of stuff. You might be able to forego the fiber completely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Based on the drawing you are too short for POE but too far and remote for fiber because of power constants.

Like @Lurick I will show this to my outside plant to see what they would do in that situation. 

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Based on the drawing you are too short for POE but too far and remote for fiber because of power constants.

Like @Lurick I will show this to my outside plant to see what they would do in that situation. 

Yah, I talked with our 4G guy and he said that 600 feet is too far without repeaters along the way at which point it would be better to just run a single fiber line along with a power line to the location, build a housing for the router and switch, and stick the antenna in a good spot nearby.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, I talked with our 4G guy and he said that 600 feet is too far without repeaters along the way at which point it would be better to just run a single fiber line along with a power line to the location, build a housing for the router and switch, and stick the antenna in a good spot nearby.

Yeah that what I am thinking is the best bet. I would suggest running fiber and power 200-300' and then run cat6 the rest of the way. Either have media converter or a switch buried mid way but easily accessible. Thats just my paranoia of buried power though just so it limits the chances of it being hit in future if someone digs. But yeah, power will for sure be needed to be buried. 

Or, he could go Ubiquity and the antenna on the tree could be powered by say solar or something. Even with the cost of batteries and a panel it might be cheaper...hmmmm...

600ft is around 180 meters. That's not such a big distance. 

You can use AWG16 (or thinner or thicker, up to you, but AWG16-18 are common and cheap) wires to carry 24v or 48v (common telecomms voltage) to the end of the cable and to some point in the middle where you could power a switch/repeater for example.

AWG 16 has a resistance of 13 mOhm per meter, so for 360 meters (180 meters both ways) you're looking at a wire resistance of around 4.7 ohms... let's just round it to 5 ohm.

If you use a 24v power supply, using the formula V= IxR  then at 1A of current, you're looking at a voltage drop of around 5v, so on the other end of the cable you still get around 17v. You can simply use a cheap 12v..24v power inverter to produce your mains voltage for the GSM stuff and other things at the other end.

This way, even if someone cuts the cable, you're only dealing with safe DC voltage, no risk of short circuits, killing people, getting AC voltage into your ethernet cable and so on.

If you don't need more than 100 mbps, you could even save money by using the two pairs of wires in the ethernet cable that aren't used on 100 mbps, to transport the 24v or whatever voltage you choose. The resistance of those wires is slightly higher because they're thinner (awg20/24) , so there's going to be more losses over such big distance, but I think you're still gonna around 10-14 volts at 1A if you use a 24v power supply. 

17 hours ago, Lurick said:

-snip-

No, not really. The mode for the cable does not reffer to the number frequency bands you can use in a single fibre connection. It has more to do with how the light propagates in the fibre, where one mode is one pathway. Where assingle mode, all light is sent in one direction, and no reflections that causes dispersion and attenuation. Hence why singlemode can carry a higher bitrate over longer distances. In stepped mutlimode index the light are allowed to take alot of diffrent paths, meaning some of the light will be absorbed in the cladding due to a sharp angle (attenuation) and the light that do reflect will arrive at differnt times because of different angles causing dispursion wich again limits the bitrate. And in graded multimode, they use a cheper method than singlemode to decrease dispersion and attenuation.

In simpler terms:

physical-layer-osi-model-transmission-me

I appreciate everyone's feedback - just so you know I've never done nothing like this before and this is all brainstorming.  I also realize this will be pricey just getting everything in order because this will be the ONLY  way to get decent internet.  At the moment I'm getting .2 of a meg download and .2 upload.

Now I made a new diagram to help me visualize what is needed and where it is needed.

@Lurick  @mynameisjuan @mariushm @Fr3dr1k

Look at A on the diagram below:

The antenna will be placed either in the tree or pole.  Also the modem and switch should be here too in a weathered apparatus?  Should an amplifier be here as well?  Is their anything else required here?

------

B on the diagram:

Have a repeater set up here?

Maybe a small variable transformer to help keep volts up.

-----

C on the diagram:

OR should the modem/switch be located here inside the house with repeaters set up?

---------------------------------

Like I said: I'm a newbie at this - I'm all ears for suggestions!

Thanks

Antenna 4.png

On 8/16/2017 at 7:14 AM, Lurick said:

-snip-

On 8/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, mynameisjuan said:

-snip-

On 8/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, mariushm said:

-snip-

On 8/16/2017 at 10:53 AM, Fr3dr1k said:

-snip-

Glancing over the diagram above - would you guys say the pieces are in the right place?  Just making sure before I do anything - pure newb here.

Cheers