How much was your RGB Tax?

Conza

How much was your RGB Tax?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How much extra did you spend on RGB components versus standard ones? (USD please)

• $0 : I'm all about performance / coincidental only
    • $0 - $50 : A couple or a few of my components
    • $50 - $100 : Intentionally bought more than a few components for RGB
    • $100 - $250 : Many components are RGB
    • $250 - $500 : Almost all components, I intentionally went for RGB
    • $500 - $???? : It's all about the RGB

So I'm almost finished buying up my new build and wanted to see how much I would save if I hadn't bought RGB components.

I was... embarrassed to say the least, it's a lot of money, $593 AUD (~$465 USD at 78 cents) *blushes*. If I built my PC in the US it would still be about $320 so that's the option I'll pick.

But I haven't bought a PC in 8 years, I wanted to splurge, it's taken me a couple of months to save and I'm a keen enthusiast.

So I wondered if others found themselves doing this in their recent (or not so recent) builds if they bought a new system, or even added to their existing system.

The question didn't seem to be asked, so I thought I would ask it.

EDIT: Oh I should mention, I used PC Part picker to try and spec the same performance system using alternative but cheaper components without aesthetic concerns relating to RGB.

Tax? 

Spending extra isn't tax... 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Tax? 

Spending extra isn't tax... 

Yeah ok, so the title is RGB Tax... it's like a self imposed tax you made yourself pay to achieve matching RGB lighting.  If you have another suggested word that's more appropriate I'll use that.

I only paid B-tax because back when i pimped out mah rig with LED's RGB didn't exactly exist :D

So i bought ram with blue and orange led's and 2 blue cold cathodes. The case itself already had blue lights but i got that one as a gift so i didn't pay for that :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you count custom water cooling and custom sleeved cables as part of the RGB setup then a crap ton, lol.

If we're just talking stuff with RGB lights, then maybe $100.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My RGB stuff is only my keyboard and mouse and I might get a GPU that has it and motherboard too

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I built my first ever computer ever, and when i was done i was like "that is a LOT of rgb.." then i realised i spent about 490bucks on rgb.. Shiieeet.. At least it looks dope

Now I must say that I voted for the $100+ option, but only my keyboard is RGB, it's a G510s that was about $150. There was also a cheap RGB band in my last PC, that I used for illuminating the back of my screens, too, but the new system is all black and white, and will get some discrete warm white LEDs once my case is back (half of the Suppressor F51 case will be a showcase for a cased bottle of 10yo Laphroaig from my wedding, which, just to prove my case, is also sort of a warm white, just in case anyone's wondering, though I don't want to make a big case out of this).

MOBO: MSI Krait Gaming X370 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X [4GHz @1.43V] | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 2133MHz [2933MHz CAS 16]

GPU: ASUS GTX1060 6GB DUAL Series | SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F51 | PSU: Corsair VS550 | COOLING: Corsair H60 [70°C Max @1400rpm] | DISPLAY: LG 29" Ultra Wide, BenQ 1080p Projector

MOUSE: Trust GXT31 MOUSE MAT: HyperX Fury | KEYBOARD: Logitech G510s | UNDERWEAR: HyperX

SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 | HEADSET: HyperX Core Cloud | SPEAKERS: Behringer MS16, SONY HT-RT3

CPU-Z Validator: DUCKPC

20 hours ago, docomeister said:

Now I must say that I voted for the $100+ option, but only my keyboard is RGB, it's a G510s that was about $150. There was also a cheap RGB band in my last PC, that I used for illuminating the back of my screens, too, but the new system is all black and white, and will get some discrete warm white LEDs once my case is back (half of the Suppressor F51 case will be a showcase for a cased bottle of 10yo Laphroaig from my wedding, which, just to prove my case, is also sort of a warm white, just in case anyone's wondering, though I don't want to make a big case out of this).

Yeah that's exactly how I'm doing it, the calculation is

RGB Part - Nearest Non-RGB Part = RGB Cost (Tax)

9 hours ago, Conza said:

RGB Part - Nearest Non-RGB Part = RGB Cost (Tax)

Now I haven't exactly done all the math to figure out the nearest non-rgb parts/costs, but I do know that I spent $180USD on corsair HD120rgbs, and another 60 on the corsair node, so Id say that Ive spent at least $250 on rgb, though considering I would have probably spent about the same on fans without rgb, idk if it really counts.  But I did aim for every component in my system to be rgb, even the monoblock.  I also have a Corsair K95 rgb keyboard. I will clarify though, I didn't go rgb for the sake of rgb, I have a black/silver color scheme, and wanted to have lighting that would compliment that, and rgb was the only way to not settle on one color.

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

0. I got free RGB strips when my cheap ass case broke. xD 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

At the moment I only really spent a couple euros more on RGB, to get RGB RAM. 

My GPU and motherboard also have RGB, but I didn't spend extra on them. I also got them because they are good components.

Might get an RGB LED strip or a few later.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Don't know if it's really a tax per se, at least in my case.

RGB stuff:

Keyboard - SteelSeries Apex 350

Headset - SteelSeries Syberia RAW

GPU - Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8G, though this has always had a single color running

Not sure the motherboard counts. It has red underlight and a badly implemented RGB header that I don't use

Case RGB is being handled by a Ding Dong Lo RGB Controller and strip that I got for $10 (controller + remote + 5m of RGB strip)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220