How Do I INCREASE TDP I THINK I BROKE MY GTX 1070

Jamil237237
Go to solution Solved by Jamil237237,

i swear this problems marked at answered for what the problem is, why are people still answering, my card at that time was fine, the tdp not maxing out was normal, it wa my uneducated brain that caused problems

Bois i have an issue, my gpu (gtx 1070 FTW by zotac) is on 100% load, at 71% tdp. Ive also noticed my gpu is inferior to its brothers according to msi kombustor 3s benchamrks AND dirt rally benchmarks. i get low framerates than before on the dirt rally benchmark and on msi kombustor same thing.

I switched psu ANNNNDDDD motherboard. same issue. i have a ggtx 960 lying around and i was like oh shit my gpu broke lemme see if old ones better.

it was shitter. but i noticed something. it exehbited similar results to the 1070. it was shitter than its brothers, if never went to 100 tdp. whad dafaq is going on?

most of the time in gpuz its vboltage rel thats the issue      in this pic its on 50% tdp on msi Kombustor 3 on steress test mode. explain plz         bfd.png   

oh yeah forgot to mention. tried upping the voltage on this thing once by +3% on zotac firestorm. i cant see voltage on the app anymore, no oc app can see it, monitoring apps can tho

Can you add a sprinkle of grammar in your post so that it can be read? Thank you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

im not seeing what the problem is.

check actual gpu usage with task manager while your running your benchmark and see what happens.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

oh shit sorry mate

You see my gtx 1070 founders edition has some anomolies. It hardly reached 100 tdp. this has hindered my perofromance. I tried changing the power supply AND the motherboard, niether method prevailed. I don't understand why the tdp is at 50%. 

I have compared result of other gtx 1070s on the internet. regardless of aftermarket coolers there should not bea  X6 gap. OC software connot see voltage but monitoring software can. I have in the past tried to overvoly my card by +3% with zotac firestorm. the document in the original post is GPUZ when MSI Kombustor 3 was running a stress test.

I would appreciate help

Just now, Tsuki said:

im not seeing what the problem is.

check actual gpu usage with task manager while your running your benchmark and see what happens.

Gpu not CPU and cmore than enough to spare

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

TDP is THERMAL DESIGN POWER and has to do with a relation between the temperature and load. Since the GPU is only at 55c it will not read a high TDP.

plz explain the times six drop in perfromance drop mentioned in my other comment, also thermal desgin power is usually interchanged with wattage, the wattage does not reach max rated performance of the card. In the past it did. 

TDP is not relevant at all in this situation, it makes no sense to compare power consumption to TDP and I don't think this is the cause of your performance problems if you have any. Have you checked that your CPU isn't overheating?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

TDP is not relevant at all in this situation, it makes no sense to compare power consumption to TDP and I don't think this is the cause of your performance problems if you have any. Have you checked that your CPU isn't overheating?

no its not overheating, and its not maxed out either, the gpu boosts performance automagically by using unsued recources including wattage/tdp. mine is barely being used in a benchmark. which supposed to max EVERYTHING out

oh btw what is wattage needed for? if i can find what it needed for i can understand the deficiency inn my gpu

tdp means nothing here and does not affect performance at all. use a different tool that actually shows relevant information.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Foorgot to mention. On some games/ apps it does reach 100% tdp at 100%

what makes me wonder is why the gpu suddenly needs more wattage in diffrent apps even though the gpu load is the same

Just now, rrubberr said:

TDP is unrelated to wattage.

well if its unrelated why does the wattage just happen to be at the same percentage of the tdp.

thanks in advance tho like srsly im not being aggresive i just dont want a broken £500 piece of equipment

2 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

As I asked, WHERE ARE YOU MONITORING THE WATTAGE?

here Hardware info

shiiiit.png

5 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

well if its unrelated why does the wattage just happen to be at the same percentage of the tdp.

thanks in advance tho like srsly im not being aggresive i just dont want a broken £500 piece of equipment

TDP is a misunderstood metric that stands for how much heat a chip generates. Not how much electricity it actually consumes. Both things can be measured in watts, because they're both forms of energy. But if I wanted to answer your question, you increase TDP by increasing power consumption. And you can do so by increasing the clock speed or voltage.

Either way, you don't want TDP to be 100%. That means a hotter card (which degrades performance) and a harder working cooling system.

so why is the power draw low? and tdp is pretty much the power draw, tdp represents how much of the thermal design power is being used. I think, and what makes it fluctuate in diffrent apps

i understand tdp is a missued metric so here we go, why is vrel comming up WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before power draw issues?

This has happened on two gpu making them less powerful, im marked them up with benchmark results online

1 minute ago, Jamil237237 said:

so why is the power draw low? and tdp is pretty much the power draw, tdp represents how much of the thermal design power is being used. I think, and what makes it fluctuate in diffrent apps

NVIDIA clumps TDP and power consumption together, even though they shouldn't. I have no idea why they did that.

But why would you be concerned with low power draw? If you're still getting the performance that is expected out of the card, it's fine.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

NVIDIA clumps TDP and power consumption together, even though they shouldn't. I have no idea why they did that.

But why would you be concerned with low power draw? If you're still getting the performance that is expected out of the card, it's fine.

Silly, im not getting the performance comp[ared to other 1070's, not by a bit, but by times six, luckily its not as bad on gaming, but on benchmnarks oh boi it goes weeeeeeeeeeeee

ayway can u guys run msi kobustor 3 preferably and open gpuz to the sensor page. I NEED PROOF, so i don't yell stupid shit

Just now, Jamil237237 said:

Silly, im not getting the performance comp[ared to other 1070's, not by a bit, but by times six, luckily its not as bad on gaming, but on benchmnarks oh boi it goes weeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't see how that's the case when your GPUz is telling us you're getting 2GHz on the GPU. So unless you're literally getting something like 20 FPS or below in every game, I find this hard to believe.

Just now, rrubberr said:

Are you alright?

Can you post EVIDENCE that the card is not running as it should, PLEASE?

i need to do multiple screen shots, plz wait a while and dont go to sleep

5 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

i need to do multiple screen shots, plz wait a while and dont go to sleep

your card is running exactly as it should. unless you have benchmarks to prove otherwise.

and you dont seem to understand what tdp actually is.

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDWO177BjZY

|Specs in profile|