Are Mac Pro worth it?

Neymar
Go to solution Solved by brownninja97,

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacking, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you cant upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

nop... 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacking, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you cant upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Noooooo

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Halolz-dot-com-nope.avi.gif

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

NOPE!

Don't waste your time watching two guys to convince you to buy a high end gaming pc, when you really need and want a workstation ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Don't waste your time watching two guys to convince you to buy a high end gaming pc, when you really need and want a workstation ;)

Have you watched the video because those are workstation components. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Literally the only reason I can see to buy the mac pro is if you NEED a machine with both LGA 2011 and Thunderbolt. That's literally the only noteworthy feature as far as I'm concerned. Other than that there's no point because you can build something better for cheaper and still get OSX if you want.

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacing, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you arent upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

There's a reason it has a million thunderbolt ports.... I agree about everything else tho.

Even a GTX 780 which is a gaming part but it can be used for CUDA capabilities.A video editing machine with a GTX780 will be much faster than a computer using only the CPU for Video editing,even if the CPU is a 15 core Xeon E7 and the one with the 780 is only a 4670K.

Furthermore,the one Logan stated is a FirePro workstation card.

Why would you buy a trash can?

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Anyone saying nope while referring to that TekSyndicate video or saying that you should build your own have completely missed the point of this machine. For the kind of person this machine is created for, it's worth a lot more than any home built system.

build a hackintosh

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Have you watched the video because those are workstation components. 

yes, at least twice.

And no, almost nothing in this build is workstation grade. Neither the cpu, nor the gpu, nor the memory.

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacing, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you arent upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

The thing is, that professionals who would edit such videos, most probably already have a huge SAN in the background ;)

Or maybe some Thunderbolt DAS with write/read speeds of 1 GByte/s