Are Mac Pro worth it?

Neymar
Go to solution Solved by brownninja97,

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacking, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you cant upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

One of the redeeming features of IOS on the Iphone is that you know everything is going to work, apps etc.

The reason Mac Pros sell so well especially commercially is for this exact same reason, certain businesses have projects that have a workflow shared by many employees, it can be a benefit to have similar hardware to minimize compatibility issues. 

When you factor in support and warranty it makes sense to go down this route for certain people. Generally this will be a lot more stable or maintenance free than an enthusiast level PC too.

It wouldn't be for me, or most of the people here I'm sure, but I think we have to at least respect that it might actually be a smarter choice in certain situations.

yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

Its more than likely designed to run off a server. I don't think they are expecting you to cope with 256gb of storage, that would be for the OS and some programs.

yes, at least twice.

And no, almost nothing in this build is workstation grade. Neither the cpu, nor the gpu, nor the memory.

Nice watching it twice,And I know what you mean that those parts aren't marketed "workstation" for workstation use but they can be used for workstation use even thought they don't say so.

Watch Tek Syndicates latest kill you mac pro video. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It loos absolutely epic. You have to give them that.

Nice watching it twice,And I know what you mean that those parts aren't marketed "workstation" for workstation use but they can be used for workstation use even thought they don't say so.

Yes, I watched it twice. Once, when they published it and another time when someone stated something wrong ;)

Do a several hours rendering job and find out that is corrupted, because a Ram module decided to go crazy.

With the time lost in a professional environment you probably already cover the costs for the workstations grade components.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Yes, I watched it twice. Once, when they published it and another time when someone stated something wrong ;)

Do a several hours rendering job and find out that is corrupted, because a Ram module decided to go crazy.

With the time lost in a professional environment you probably already cover the costs for the workstations grade components.

I had no idea non-ECC memory did that.Thats probably one thing to change of this build.

The thing is, that professionals who would edit such videos, most probably already have a huge SAN in the background ;)

Or maybe some Thunderbolt DAS with write/read speeds of 1 GByte/s

Professionals who are actually dealing with 4K footage and have big SAN's running in their offices are most likely not buying little trash can looking Macs with underpowered hardware. They are more likely to be running high end systems such as BOXX workstations or high end HP workstations. Machines that are designed to handle extremely intensive workflows involving 4K or other demanding digital arts (high poly 3D, massive textures, etc).

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

I have a question for the die hard mac fans.  How do you guys reconcile the fact that OSX market share is less than 8%, which effectively means the number of professionals that use macs as workstations is actually very small.  Some of you respond to every "no" post as if they are somehow missing a the point,  But TBH the only point that seems to be missed is that no one is really saying the product is shit, they are just re affirming market place trend which is that they are not popular. There are cheaper and/or better options.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Once upon a time there was a reason for macs, now there is no good reason, the hardware is lacing, due to having one fan that thing will be bloody loud, adobe themselves stated that windows is better for editing, you arent upgrade, if it breaks then you will pay a lot more then you normally would. Its said to be able to edit 4k footage, yet it has a 256gb hard drive, that is pathetic, 4k footage is massive, that could store maybe a 4minute 4 k video 

They literally took everything I thought was nice about the old mac pro and tossed it down a well.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

They literally took everything I thought was nice about the old mac pro and tossed it down a well.

the design is retarded and flawed badly, defuq they gonna do when it breaks, remove this unibody heatsink bs and take out some circle motherboard.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The TekSyndicate video sums it up pretty well, and you can probably sacrifice here and there to get WS grade board, Xeon with ECC memory no problem, Logan just felt in need to go for the extreme option, don't feel offended just because the parts aren't all workstation grade, the mobo and the GPU are, there's a distinction between workstation and SERVER GRADE components.

yes, at least twice.

And no, almost nothing in this build is workstation grade. Neither the cpu, nor the gpu, nor the memory.

FirePros aren't workstation ? It's probably the only workstation component that you're going to be in desperate need to especially if you work on 10-bit panels and such WS insanity.

And yes, he knocked the Apple parts off the wall pretty easily on that aspect.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

the design is retarded and flawed badly, defuq they gonna do when it breaks, remove this unibody heatsink bs and take out some circle motherboard.

And then the fact that there's no upgrade room, only 4 dimm slots (Only 32gb max), Single fan (cool idea but guaranteed to be loud as hell under serious load) and AFAIK no way to change GPUs, so when they get outdated your gonna wait a while for apple to offer a new version that you'll have to buy.

And then the fact that there's no upgrade room, only 4 dimm slots (Only 32gb max), Single fan (cool idea but guaranteed to be loud as hell under serious load) and AFAIK no way to change GPUs, so when they get outdated your gonna wait a while for apple to offer a new version that you'll have to buy.

And like no PCIE slots, it's like... does this even have to exist ? In a world where Workstation enthusiats actually know more about PCs probably even more than what a typical gamer would know, how much he'll be offended by the lack of expandibility in this machine ?

They've outdone themselves by even considering building one of these in my opinion.

And like no PCIE slots, it's like... does this even have to exist ? In a world where Workstation enthusiats actually know more about PCs probably even more than what a typical gamer would know, how much he'll be offended by the lack of expandibility in this machine ?

They've outdone themselves by even considering building one of these in my opinion.

Yeah, They expect you to expand with external thunderbolt devices but that's not as fast as PCIe, and having a bunch of other things sitting on your desk defeats the purpose of such a compact system.

Yeah, They expect you to expand with external thunderbolt devices but that's not as fast as PCIe, and having a bunch of other things sitting on your desk defeats the purpose of such a compact system.

Exactly, not to mention the ADDITIONAL cost of Thunderbolt enclosures which will defeat the whole purpose of it, and yeah, speed wise PCIE blow to water everything Thunderbolt can come up with until now, and for those who're still whining, there are Thunderbolt motherboards, cards, headers... Workstation dudes better not be fooled by this.

Exactly, not to mention the ADDITIONAL cost of Thunderbolt enclosures which will defeat the whole purpose of it, and yeah, speed wise PCIE blow to water everything Thunderbolt can come up with until now, and for those who're still whining, there are Thunderbolt motherboards, cards, headers... Workstation dudes better not be fooled by this.

agreed.

I think if you are an individual then of course a custom built workstation is probably the way to go.

But if you have 100 employees all requiring identical hardware, you can't just slap a load of parts on their desks and say build! Hiring in people who will guarantee their work and cover maintenance inst going to be cheap either. Chasing up warranties from a bundle of manufacturers can be hassle too.

Some professionals may require more horsepower, but if you think about all the graphic designers, web devs, printed media and editing jobs out there, it really isn't that hard to see why these machines have a place in the market.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

I think if you are an individual then of course a custom built workstation is probably the way to go.

But if you have 100 employees all requiring identical hardware, you can't just slap a load of parts on their desks and say build! Hiring in people who will guarantee their work and cover maintenance inst going to be cheap either. Chasing up warranties from a bundle of manufacturers can be hassle too.

Exactly right, this is why many schools and business buy/rent  dell, hp, acer, etc pre-built stations. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well i never questionned dealing with one company when it comes to warranty and such, it's just the form factor that's helarious to me.

And the ones Mr.Moose mentioned are likely offering the same if not better components with the gold PC form-factor standard which is expandibility, and those usually come with a way more useful OS to use with up to par drivers, Windows.

I'm yet to find a reason to justify the existence of this product unless you have cash to burn for no apparent purpose.