Windows 10 Pro for Workstation edition

GoodBytes
55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think so. Maybe you can upgrade via the Store where you pay some fee to upgrade to it. My guess.

Maybe it's available and free, when it detects a workstation cpu!

Can't wait for win10 pro for gaming

Win10 pro for video streaming

Win10 pro for content creation

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Then we end up with a command line like this

image.jpg.9aabc541a34866e57406a226d396ae37.jpg

No it's not windows command line but point still stands.

If price is similar, then I would get it. Because why not. And most North American students can get a free copy of windows 8, 10 and server 2016 anyway.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Win10 pro for video streaming

Win10 pro for content creation

Kinda reminds me of Windows 8 with Media Center 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This is why I pirate windows. 

Buying windows are for suckers and business enterprise only.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

56 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Kinda reminds me of Windows 8 with Media Center 

Too bad they remove it with win10. Sucks for those who spent $100 on it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, Kamina said:

This is why I pirate windows. 

Buying windows are for suckers and business enterprise only.

I'd say pirating Windows is for hobos and slackers. ?

23 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Too bad they remove it with win10. Sucks for those who spent $100 on it.

A compromise Microsoft made when they decided to make the Windows 10 upgrade free in 2015. I don't really know if their R&D and their sales/marketing teams are collaborating inside. It seems to me Microsoft needs trimming of dead branches. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

so i have "regular" win 10 pro and i just noticed i can format drives with REFS?

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

1 hour ago, C3DMaX said:

so i have "regular" win 10 pro and i just noticed i can format drives with REFS?

Your version should default to NTFS when doing so correct? You have to change it to ReFS in the partition type drop down menu? Far as I know they only changed the default option.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Your version should default to NTFS when doing so correct? You have to change it to ReFS in the partition type drop down menu? Far as I know they only changed the default option.

you are right, i didn't think about that it even says NTFS (Default) in the dropdown. but now that i think of it, i installed a fresh copy of pro on another pc just yesterday and it defaulted to REFS on that one O.o

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR

11 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

A compromise Microsoft made when they decided to make the Windows 10 upgrade free in 2015. I don't really know if their R&D and their sales/marketing teams are collaborating inside. It seems to me Microsoft needs trimming of dead branches. 

Some got mce for free too. :D

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

On 8/10/2017 at 9:40 PM, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations will be delivered as part of our Fall Creators Update, available this fall.

According to Tom's Hardware, the "new" os will be released along side the Fall Creators Update. Now that that made more sense, compare to Microsoft's own blog post! They made it sound as if this os was free.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-pro-workstations-debut-fall,35214.html

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Or you need to use more than piddly-poo amounts of RAM and real networking features, and thus you did need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.

who had more than 16gb ram in 2007? max on q6600 was 8gb on all the 775 mobos i have, even 1156 limit was 16gb .. in 2010, and then in 2012/2013 w8 came out, and in 2011/2012 16gb was enough for everything and chrome for most people :P

but 16gb limit was stupid. and its tiny as hell now

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

XP had just home and pro iirc, but then starting with Vista they went off on a mad chase to make as many as possible which I never understood the point of.  I thought with 10 we might finally be back down to 2 but I guess not... -_-

Admittedly though, almost all of those features sound like things no normal person would ever care about so it shouldn't really cause any confusion or tough decisions.

That is, almost all.  Wouldn't everyone benefit from ReFS?  It's about time we get something better than NTFS... I mean, it's been around long enough.

Edit: Apparently it's got a bunch of problems, nvm -_-

Well, we still need something better, I guess that's just not it.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

XP had just home and pro iirc

And Pro 64-bit, since at the time that was a totally different edition with quite different features than normal Pro.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is, almost all.  Wouldn't everyone benefit from ReFS?  It's about time we get something better than NTFS... I mean, it's been around long enough.

ReFS isn't super mature yet for a filesystem users would be using on an every day basis. I'd still compare it to btrfs which Fedora is actually moving away from over the next year because of it's issues.

ReFS also has a raw performance degredation in order to achieve some of the features it has, or at least it did (about 7% compared to NTFS) last time I checked it out.

If you need the stuff that ReFS offers (integrity checking, self-healing, self-defragmenting, redundancy, soft-RAID, and storage virt/pooling) it's of great benefit. For your every day user right now (or for highly mission critical data) it's a liability.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

XP had just home and pro iirc, but then starting with Vista they went off on a mad chase to make as many as possible which I never understood the point of.  I thought with 10 we might finally be back down to 2 but I guess not... -_-

Admittedly though, almost all of those features sound like things no normal person would ever care about so it shouldn't really cause any confusion or tough decisions.

Actually, XP was even worse, in my ways.  Each SKU had separate licenses that could only be activated if you installed with the correct media (they wouldn't even recognize the key, if you installed with the wrong type of disc), including:

Windows XP Home OEM

Windows XP Home Upgrade

Windows XP Home Retail

Windows XP Pro OEM

Windows XP Pro Upgrade

Windows XP Pro Retail

Windows XP Pro University

Windows XP Pro VLM (a.k.a. Corporate edition)

Windows XP Media Center 2002

Windows XP Media Center 2005

And finally, there was Windows XP Pro x64 Edition.

I may even be missing a few in there.

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Edit: Apparently it's got a bunch of problems, nvm -_-

Well, we still need something better, I guess that's just not it.

Yeah, to me it seems like ReFS is not meant to replace NTFS.

It is entirely focused on reliability, at the cost of performance and other features which most people actually care about.

At this point, I am starting to wonder if we will ever see a new file system for Windows or if we will be stuck with NTFS because "it's good enough, and because of our stupid design decisions it's almost impossible to replace".

33 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, XP was even worse, in my ways.  Each SKU had separate licenses that could only be activated if you installed with the correct media (they wouldn't even recognize the key, if you installed with the wrong type of disc), including:

Windows XP Home OEM

Windows XP Home Upgrade

Windows XP Home Retail

Windows XP Pro OEM

Windows XP Pro Upgrade

Windows XP Pro Retail

Windows XP Pro University

Windows XP Pro VLM (a.k.a. Corporate edition)

Windows XP Media Center 2002

Windows XP Media Center 2005

And finally, there was Windows XP Pro x64 Edition.

I may even be missing a few in there.

Isn't it the same with Windows 10? Type in an upgrade key on a clean OEM disc install and it won't work.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Isn't it the same with Windows 10? Type in an upgrade key on a clean OEM disc install and it won't work.

In my experience it's best to just skip activation during install so you can get it up to date, then activate, since (last time I checked) it still lets you activate with a Win 7 key, as if we ere still in the free upgrade period

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There is also Media Center and Tablet Edition, both are based on XP Pro. There were some Power Toys for XP and some special ones for Tablet edition to take advantage of the touch display and stylus.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Possibly during the setup, but it shouldn't be an issue once Windows is actually installed.  Windows XP, on the other hand, would completely reject a key unless it was the specific disc.  So if you installed with an OEM disc, then tried to activate with a retail license, it wouldn't even recognize the key as valid.  There may have been registry hacks to get around that, but I found it far easier just to install with the correct disc from the start.

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

I can confirm that it still accepts Windows 7 keys as of ... yesterday.

Yep, even to this day we're still upgrading customers 7/8/8.1 systems to 10 for free (well, free for the license, we still charge for our time).

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In my experience it's best to just skip activation during install so you can get it up to date, then activate, since (last time I checked) it still lets you activate with a Win 7 key, as if we ere still in the free upgrade period

If the key was activated before or reserved in the free upgrade period, then it will work no problem.

48 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If the key was activated before or reserved in the free upgrade period, then it will work no problem.

It doesn't have to have been activated or reserved during the free upgrade period.  Any Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key will still work to activate Windows 10.  Even though they ended the free upgrade period, the activation servers still accept the older OS keys.