What Do You Do After A Fresh Install

Hey guys,

So I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7. I won't complain too much as it happened before school started and I can put everything on my 525gb ssd. I got to thinking about what other do after they get a fresh install.

I want others to share what they do after they complete a fresh install of Windows. What settings do you change or add, what programs must be installed first, things like that.

I always install Firefox first and foremost. Then I install the Windows Updates, and after that.... just my general programs, Powerchute, WizMouse, Microsoft Office, antivirus and Malwarebytes. I love my Teamviewer too.

I don't mess with setting too much, I generally change what I need as I go.

What about yall?

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Drivers, Windows Updates, Antivirus, Daily used softwares (trying to keep as minimal as possible last few years)

Finally got PS4 Pro

ninite to get chrome so then i can get drivers, after that windows settings.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Ninite -> Windows Update -> Applicable Drivers -> Productivity Software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Master Collection) -> Games

After that, I'll typically go after the other things I want/need that aren't included above; like Spotify, torrent software, Plex, Netflix, etc...

Updates => programs => update programs because I backed them up as per what machine gets what => install steam => change steam library => personalize.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Windows update. 

If I am using windows 10 then I just use windows defender as anti-virus software. 

Install all the drivers. (GPU driver 1st, cos I can't stand a 720p monitor resolution)

Then all the program I am using. 

Last but not least, steam and origin and all the games I play. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, Arct1c0n said:

Wtf is ninite? 

Google it. It is a bundle installer that installs all the bullshit programs you usually need (paint.net, chrome, winrar, qbittorrent, steam, etc) and does it all for you, rather than have to click through 20 installers yourself.

13 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Google it. It is a bundle installer that installs all the bullshit programs you usually need (paint.net, chrome, winrar, qbittorrent, steam, etc) and does it all for you, rather than have to click through 20 installers yourself.

In all honesty it took me about twenty seconds to get all the .exe's I needed. If you know where to go exactly and what you need it doesn't take that long. I went on there to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything that I use just ever so often and I downloaded a couple of things. It had java and shockwave too which was nice.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

1 hour ago, Arct1c0n said:

Wtf is ninite? 

its a bundle installer for a bunch of programs

57 minutes ago, dual290x said:

In all honesty it took me about twenty seconds to get all the .exe's I needed. If you know where to go exactly and what you need it doesn't take that long. I went on there to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything that I use just ever so often and I downloaded a couple of things. It had java and shockwave too which was nice.

its nice cuz i can have just one installer on a flash drive and get everything. the other benefit, is that it automatically unchecks all that shitty bundled software crap they want to install normally, like the ask toolbar, and other malware bloatware.

i use it for Chrome, notepad++, putty. skype, qBittorrent, vlc, winamp, spotify, handbrake, 7zip, winrar, openoffice, and steam.

its not really much, and im not going to use them all, all the time. but it has the benefit of, "oh yea i need this software too i should go download it real quick".  ive already got it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

For me it's the following.

1. Chrome

2. Steam

1. DisplayFusion
  2. CSGO
  3. Terraria
  4. What ever else I require

3. WinZip

4. LibreOffice

5. GoogleDrive

6. GOG

7. Origin [NFS / BF4/1]

8. Config files for applications and games from the backup drive

9. Logitec / Corsair Drivers G502 / K70 RGB

10. What ever else I forgot to add to the list i.e. Chrome / applications extensions

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I try to do drivers first. Chipset - video first. Then the rest of the drivers.

Then mozilla and chrome. I use mozilla (with no sign on) with all sorts of blocking add ons for work, or general browsing(Discover, HTTPS Everywhere, Ad Block, No Script).. Then use chrome as my entertainment to continue sync videos, auto log into things, etc.(I sign into chrome, so it all comes back automatically)

ninite is a life saver at times. But i try to shy away from the adobe stack since to me it screams vulnerable. But i'm just paranoid.

WINDOWS OFFLINE UPDATE (WSUS) - offline updater that saves ton of time by not dealing with typical windows updates. If you decide to use this look up how to use it in a video or something, but once you learn how to use it. you will forever use it.

Then as a staple - Keypass(I back up database so it opens in no time) - Notepad++ - Office (or libre office for free) - Malwarebytes (other protection) - Revo uninstaller(or portable somewhere ready to run) - VLC media player(greatest media player i used..... only one i use too. lol) - All my games, Steam (point to steam library from another drive(best thing ever). BAM all come back instantly), league of legends and all of its patches, any other game that takes forever patching in client(battle.net)

Chatting/gaming/streaming software if this is the rig to do it. Twitch/curse discord, frapps, OBS, or whatever else the kids use these days xD

Turn off Windows Features - Windows 7 I usually turn off:

Windows Games - Simply don't even use them.

Windows Media Features - (Movie maker, media player, I keep DVD for iso) I use VLC for my media player.

Sometimes internet explorer - (but always have a back-up browser to test any errors on. I don't use Sites that require IE so i don't need it/want it. And i switch between Chrome and FF to fix any issues i might experience)

I keep Aero theme simply because i didnt spend a chunk of change to look at reduced desktop UI. and i never really noticed a difference except for things like bringing forward windows and indexing. but with an SSD i cant really tell much anyways (if you have an ssd)

I customize my start menu and task bar. It all personal preference, but i change:

Add run command...

Only have the document folders i want (I never use pictures often enough to have it right there for me)

Remove network

Add administrative tools sometimes depending the workstation

I make the control panel, and maybe documents a drop down menu so i can stay at start and open stuff.

I adjust the amount of programs it remembers and pins to start so its a little shorter and compact than normal.

Adjust windows update settings to promt me before download and install.

Do not install recommended updates like important updates

do not recommend me Microsoft products

Once this is said and done, you can run ccleaner and/or wisecare365. Ccleaner is just awesome at well.... cleaning. and wise care has a cool feature called "slim windows" or something. it basically deletes all the old update files you no longer need. it can also optionally delete all default documents in your user folder (default pictures, default videos, that cruddy default album in music) you can also have it remove window's built in backgrounds, help files, and a few other features that are optional and cool if you no longer need them.

Last but not least, create a system restore after you are done and no extra programs or games are installed for your safe keeping.

I probably forgot something, but that comes with preparing before you reinstall. snapshot your programs and features. Run belarc and track and save your computer profile with all your keys, map network drives, printers, user folders, etc.

• Disable power saving features in Windows (auto-sleep, monitor off, etc...) and set performance mode to High
  • Run Windows Updates over and over until no more updates are found
  • Check Device Manager to make sure drivers for everything installed
  • Configure Windows 10 Taskbar to show all System Tray Icons
  • Uninstall Windows 10 Bloatware
  • Open Windows Defender, turn on automatic defenses, update, run once to satiate nags about scanning system
  • Configure OneDrive and move locations of profile folders to OneDrive (Desktop, Documents, etc...)
  • Download/Install GPU software (GeForce experience, Radeon Crimson)
  • Download/Install both Google Chrome and Firefox (Each has strengths and weaknesses)
  • Download/Install VLC
  • Download/Install Icaros (adds Explorer support for .mkv metadata and thumbnails)
  • Download/Install Steam
  • Download/Install GoG Galaxy
  • Download/Install Origin
  • Download/Install EpicGames Launcher
  • Reboot one final time to make sure the system is running on a clean boot with no more pending updates
  • Open Steam and install 2-3 games for testing new hardware performance
  • Pass out from being up so late getting everything installed

*Edit - Other fiddly bits: 7-Zip, MakeMKV, TightVNC, iTunes, Handbrake, Add Printer, and pin stuff to Start/Taskbar as needed.

In case of windows installation, then the computer is definitely not mine.

Computer comes with a list of programs that will be installed

Also comes a box of beer and a bottle or two bourbon

1. Open the first bottle of bourbon and place the beer in the fridge.
2. I install Windows (I hate Windows).
3. More bourbon, cold beer, and driver installation.
4. Update Windows, more bourbon and beer.
5. Required programs. Usually AVG, libreoffice, gimp, firefox, thunderbird ....... ???
6. Testing that everything works well.
7. More bourbon and beer.
8. And calling the computer owner, get this fucking windows shit out.
9. When the computer is fetched it is time to open another Bourbon bottle and hopefully forget about the entire computer.

If in my own computer I have ready to go pre-installed linux on ssd disk.

hqdefault.jpg.59c92279d9ad284ac6b3809f2a5b8cf0.jpg

14 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Oh, I'm oldschool, I still prefer going through each of my programs as I need on a rebuild and with SSD's nowadays, it doesn't take that long like it used to with platter driver

17 hours ago, divito said:

Ninite -> Windows Update -> Applicable Drivers -> Productivity Software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Master Collection) -> Games

After that, I'll typically go after the other things I want/need that aren't included above; like Spotify, torrent software, Plex, Netflix, etc...

Should be  DRIVERS first. install all drivers first. Then ninite apps and so on..

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

• Before installing
    • I gather up the latest drivers for the hardware that is absolutely necessary
      • This basically amounts to chipset, GPU, sound, and network drivers (if needed)
      • Storage drivers are unnecessary, Windows already has decent ones
      • Motherboard utilities are unnecessary
    • If I need to, I get a copy of Ninite that has what I need
  • After installing
    • Install the drivers. The order doesn't probably matter, but I do chipset -> GPU -> audio -> network (if needed)
      • Restart the computer if the driver installers say I should
    • Install the apps from Ninite
    • Install apps that are not on Ninite
    • Let Windows update do its magic (it probably was doing it while I was installing apps)
    • Continue to ping Windows update for updates until it says there are no more
    • Restart the computer
    • Tailor the account and settings to my liking
    • One more restart for good measure

17 hours ago, dual290x said:

Hey guys,

So I had to do a fresh install of Windows 7. I won't complain too much as it happened before school started and I can put everything on my 525gb ssd. I got to thinking about what other do after they get a fresh install.

I want others to share what they do after they complete a fresh install of Windows. What settings do you change or add, what programs must be installed first, things like that.

I always install Firefox first and foremost. Then I install the Windows Updates, and after that.... just my general programs, Powerchute, WizMouse, Microsoft Office, antivirus and Malwarebytes. I love my Teamviewer too.

I don't mess with setting too much, I generally change what I need as I go.

What about yall?

Get basics from http://ninite.com including Avast and MalwareBytes as antivirus.

Disable automatic windows updates so I can keep control of what shit Microsoft tries to force onto my PC.

Install additional programs such as Discord, MSI Afterburner, FRAPS, etc...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ninite with all the necessary security and utility programs (Malwarebytes, VLC player, Notepad++, Chrome, etc), update drivers and setup my accounts on Google Chrome.

After the most important programs have been installed, i also aquire Office 365, install my Steam games and set up my wallpapers of choice from interfacelift.

17 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

"Did you build your own computer but miss the bundle of crap-ware that normally comes with pre-built computers?  Well friends, do I have the solution for you: Ninite!  Ninite!  A bunch of stuff which you're not even sure you need but someone else decided that you should have it!"

First: Library routing, so everything goes to my hard drive unless I tell it not to. 

Then: ShutUp10, to disable tracking and Cortana.

Then: Ninite, other applications.

Finally: Painstakingly relink games and applications. 

Then I pick stuff up as I go.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD