How to get rid of dust in a room.

adroit14

Recently, i have added led strips to my computer and the strips really illuminate the dust on everything. I spent a few minuets cleaning dust off, and everything looked good after that. I have dusted off my computer and several parts of my room several times and the dust all seems to come back within a week or 2. How can i make my room less dusty? I have a dust filter running on my desk, and every intake fan in my computer has a dust cover. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, i really have tried a lot of things though.

3 minutes ago, adroit14 said:

Recently, i have added led strips to my computer and the strips really illuminate the dust on everything. I spent a few minuets cleaning dust off, and everything looked good after that. I have dusted off my computer and several parts of my room several times and the dust all seems to come back within a week or 2. How can i make my room less dusty? I have a dust filter running on my desk, and every intake fan in my computer has a dust cover. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, i really have tried a lot of things though.

Domestic dust is 80% human skin cells?  Have you tried keeping any humans out of your room?

Change your ac filters regularly. That will help some. 

But as  @AshleyAshes said 80% of dust is skin cells so your not gonna prevent that to easily. Use lotion to stop dry skin? ....

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Change your ac filters regularly. That will help some. 

But as  @AshleyAshes said 80% of dust is skin cells so your not gonna prevent that to easily. Use lotion to stop dry skin? ....

That might help, but I've really never had dry skin over a long period of time. Thanks for the suggestion though.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:12 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Domestic dust is 80% human skin cells?  Have you tried keeping any humans out of your room?

humans out of your room omggggggggggggggg xDxD

Depends where you live as well.  In some cases it might just be impossible to keep dust out, but I don't suppose you have any open windows?  

I remember living in New Mexico was fairly dusty no matter what, but closing the window really helped.  

Air purifier will work to an extent. Vacuum regularly otherwise you will keep kicking dust off the floor making it airborne and settling on your computer/desk.

you will not be able to prevent 100% of dust, but just keep the room clean and wipe down surfaces

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Roomba helps a lot. I set mine to vacuum every other day before going to work.

Clean. If the dust returns after 2 weeks, you need to clean at least every 2 weeks.

Vacuum the floor. Dust the shelves, surfaces, etc. Clean out the filters/dust covers on any fans, etc.

And finally, buying an air purifier might help mitigate some of the dust.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hire someone to wipe your glossy plastic electronics every 3 seconds, only logical solution.

/s

But just tending your room every week is a good idea. Only takes 10 minutes to do.

Also, obligatory video:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

An air cleaner running continuously with weekly vacuuming and periodic manual dusting is the only way to do it without sealing it up and letting no one inside.

As mentioned earlier a large amount of dust is dead skin cells from humans and other animals.  Also electronics, even when turned off, naturally attract dust as well. 

Maybe a humidifier?

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

Just now, Crossbred said:

Maybe a humidifier?

Why?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Why?

Water + dust = something that can't float? I'm just throwing it out there.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

1 minute ago, Crossbred said:

Water + dust = something that can't float? I'm just throwing it out there.

I don't really see that helping. Or you'll just trade one problem for another. High humidity is especially bad for electronics.

An air purifier would be a much better solution, since it will actually suck the dust out of the air, rather than just transfer it to the floor.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't really see that helping. Or you'll just trade one problem for another. High humidity is especially bad for electronics.

An air purifier would be a much better solution, since it will actually suck the dust out of the air, rather than just transfer it to the floor.

He could just suck all the air out of his room so the dust has nothing to float on.

Im just bringing up an alternative; an air purifier is arguably the best and most direct option.

Take 3 showers a day, scrub your skin raw, and use a good moisturizing lotion. Get rid of any pets. Use a HEPA air filter on your heating cooling system and make sure your room has positive pressure by blocking any intakes in it.