SMSL M3 as Line Out to Another Amp

I recently bought and SMSL M3 for my HD598's, which seems perfectly fine for now. I have plans on buying the Monolith M1060s though if they go on any sort of sale and I will definitely need a better amp for those. Theoretically, could I have the SMSL M3 as a dac (I really don't think I'll need a better dac) and connect the line out to something like the magni 2? I plan on getting that since honestly, if I like the monoliths as much the hype is saying (which I'm hoping I like them since I'd be ok with those being my endgame), then I will probably never buy a more expensive or difficult to drive set of headphones (HD650's at most after this probably since I'm never going to be able to buy something like an LCD-X.). Not sure if I'm going to be modding the monoliths either, other than taking out the foam under the outer grill (too afraid to damage drivers by doing tape mod and I don't want to spend $80 on earpads as of right now, especially when I have to glue them).
Also if there are any suggestions of a similar amp to the magni 2 (around same price, not including the O2 because that goes for more and everything is front port...), that would be appreciated. I'm looking at a B-Stock magni 2 for now since I don't care a minor cosmetic error. Thought about getting a SAP-8 but not sure if it has the current to drive planars.

don't get the M1060's they ring like a motherfucker and you NEED to mod them to just make them okay, which can easily cost you 120$ ontop of what they cost, the pads needed aren't being made anymore, so pricing on them have gone up to 100$ and can be quite hard to find. TBH you should get HD 650 or if you want to try planar HE400i's (they are down to 250$).

Also stay away from SMSL gear, I know you already got the M3, but for the love of god don't go out and buy a SAP 8.

What is your budget for an amp?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

33 minutes ago, DKims said:

I have plans on buying the Monolith M1060s

No.

On 8/6/2017 at 2:45 PM, Dackzy said:

don't get the M1060's they ring like a motherfucker and you NEED to mod them to just make them okay, which can easily cost you 120$ ontop of what they cost, the pads needed aren't being made anymore, so pricing on them have gone up to 100$ and can be quite hard to find. TBH you should get HD 650 or if you want to try planar HE400i's (they are down to 250$).

Also stay away from SMSL gear, I know you already got the M3, but for the love of god don't go out and buy a SAP 8.

What is your budget for an amp?

I thought the ringing was a QC issue, since not everyone is reporting that they have ringing (my plan was to just return it or sell it for slightly less if I didn't like it or just send it back for another unit to see if the ringing would be fixed. If I really have to mod it then so be it, I guess...).
Regardless, I'd like to spend $110 or less for an amp and the only reason I would spend more is because the more expensive amp is significantly better and anything after that has diminishing returns (ie: the asgard 2 or aune x7 if they are that much better than something like a magni 2).

Do you have any other recommendations for planars? I was going to buy the HE4XX but saw a few reviews of the m1060, which is why I wanted to try them (and I didn't want to wait until december to get the HE4xx). Anything that, in your opinion, sounds as good as the m1060 without the ringing would be appreciated.
I still haven't gotten an answer for using the M3 as a DAC which was the more important question...

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm just waiting on the m1060's before buying (or really  any headphones that I'm buying or being recommended).

46 minutes ago, DKims said:

I thought the ringing was a QC issue, since not everyone is reporting that they have ringing (my plan was to just return it or sell it for slightly less if I didn't like it or just send it back for another unit to see if the ringing would be fixed. If I really have to mod it then so be it, I guess...).
Regardless, I'd like to spend $110 or less for an amp and the only reason I would spend more is because the more expensive amp is significantly better and anything after that has diminishing returns (ie: the asgard 2 or aune x7 if they are that much better than something like a magni 2).

Do you have any other recommendations for planars? I was going to buy the HE4XX but saw a few reviews of the m1060, which is why I wanted to try them (and I didn't want to wait until december to get the HE4xx). Anything that, in your opinion, sounds as good as the m1060 without the ringing would be appreciated.
I still haven't gotten an answer for using the M3 as a DAC which was the more important question...

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm just waiting on the m1060's before buying (or really  any headphones that I'm buying or being recommended).

Not everyone can hear the ringing, we all don't have equal hearing and some picks up this stuff and some don't. M1060 are TBH a disgrace to planar headphones. The bass is sloppy, meh mids with 4-5k ringing. The QC problems were the wood and connectors and good luck finding the pads needed,  since they aren't being made anymore and are actually very hard to find now. Stock m1060 sound is IMO like a 100$ headphone.

They got hyped up like crazy, just like the M50's got.  I view them as the M50/x's of planar headphones. 

Just get the magni 2 as a starter amp it is going to be fine and,  and yes you can use the m3 as a pure DAC. Though I can strongly recommend looking at Meier cords and the different amps he makes, they are all pretty damn good for their given price. 

For planar headphones then look into he 400i's for 250$ new or maybe hunt for used HE 500s. HD 600, 650/6xx (not planar) also beat m1060s, basically anything that is good value at 150$ and above beats stock m1060s. It basically comes down to your own taste. 

Modded m1060s creeps up to around their msrp maybe a bit above, but right now you can prob expect a 2 weeks if not more hunting for pads and then paying more than 100$ for a set,  plus fuzzor mod which is prob 10-20$, you can probably easily hit 450$ once they are modded, which can get you he 560s or he 500s.

But try planar headphones before you decide that you want some, since they are different from your normal dynamic ones and they aren't for everyone.

Back to my slumber.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

Not everyone can hear the ringing, we all don't have equal hearing and some picks up this stuff and some don't. M1060 are TBH a disgrace to planar headphones. The bass is sloppy, meh mids with 4-5k ringing. The QC problems were the wood and connectors and good luck finding the pads needed,  since they aren't being made anymore and are actually very hard to find now. Stock m1060 sound is IMO like a 100$ headphone.

They got hyped up like crazy, just like the M50's got.  I view them as the M50/x's of planar headphones. 

Just get the magni 2 as a starter amp it is going to be fine and,  and yes you can use the m3 as a pure DAC. Though I can strongly recommend looking at Meier cords and the different amps he makes, they are all pretty damn good for their given price. 

For planar headphones then look into he 400i's for 250$ new or maybe hunt for used HE 500s. HD 600, 650/6xx (not planar) also beat m1060s, basically anything that is good value at 150$ and above beats stock m1060s. It basically comes down to your own taste. 

Modded m1060s creeps up to around their msrp maybe a bit above, but right now you can prob expect a 2 weeks if not more hunting for pads and then paying more than 100$ for a set,  plus fuzzor mod which is prob 10-20$, you can probably easily hit 450$ once they are modded, which can get you he 560s or he 500s.

But try planar headphones before you decide that you want some, since they are different from your normal dynamic ones and they aren't for everyone.

Back to my slumber.

Thanks.

Any opinion on the m560 then? I don't really see any people complaining about those but I can't find a comparison to the HE4-- series. They're also cheaper than the HE-- series.

1 hour ago, DKims said:

Thanks.

Any opinion on the m560 then? I don't really see any people complaining about those but I can't find a comparison to the HE4-- series. They're also cheaper than the HE-- series.

Haven't heard them, but I can't imagine them being that good, since people say m1060s  are better and well you know what I think of the m1060s.

TBH first go out and try a pair of planar headphones, because you might hate the more lean sound.

Audio is very personal, so it is best to go out and try shit and maybe take some notes.

On 8/14/2017 at 4:47 PM, DKims said:

Thanks.

Ignore the guy talking bad about the M1060. I own them and love them. I could hear no ringing at all. He clearly just doesn't like Monoprice headphones I guess. I think the M1060 are worth it for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Sam-I-Am said:

Ignore the guy talking bad about the M1060. I own them and love them. I could hear no ringing at all. He clearly just doesn't like Monoprice headphones I guess. I think the M1060 are worth it for sure. 

Stop right there. 

As stated above not everyone can hear it, but you can look up a frequency response of them and see the ringing with your own eyes and you can read reviews where some of them state that they have it. It is a well-known fact that they have ringing.

M1060s are only worth their price to people who haven't tried much.

2 hours ago, Sam-I-Am said:

Have you heard other headphones in this price range? Do you critically listen? Anything you can describe about the sound other than these headphones having less bass than Beats? This is why you don't hear the ringing or the hollow coloration trained ears do. Trying to disprove a point made by someone with more experience just because you like it is straight up spreading misinformation. If you like it, that's fine. That doesn't make it good relative to other planars.