Dell 24inch 4K display!

GoodBytes

Not really bothered, I bought a U2713HM (1440p) and that was perfect, Gtx660 was enough for most of what I did gaming wise and I shall be buying another direct from Dell as the replacement I wanted I had it changed to refund, 4k just won't be here consumer wise for another year or so. Viewing text on this monitor may be hard due to the incredible pixel density and the viewing distance?, so good luck to people with bad eyesight. 

It's called increase Windows DPI. Already, Windows 8 Modern UI apps and Start Screen scales, even without specifying any increase in DPI settings (it knows the resolution and size of your screen, and adapts, something it can do as its all GPU rendered), and it's ridiculous in term show it works perfectly. Check out the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, for example.

As higher pixel density monitor gets popular, more and more programs gets DPI scaling friendly.

Already, thanks to mostly Microsoft Surface Pro, Adobe said that the next version of Photoshop will be DPI scaling friendly. Right now, it stays at 100% scaling, even if you increase your Windows DPI setting. With these monitors, expect more and more programs to do the same.

Already, nearly all Microsoft programs are high DPI ready.

It's called increase Windows DPI. Already, Windows 8 Modern UI apps and Start Screen scales, even without specifying any increase in DPI settings (it knows the resolution and size of your screen, and adapts, something it can do as its all GPU rendered), and it's ridiculous. Check out the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2, for example.

As higher pixel density monitor gets popular, more and more programs gets DPI scaling friendly.

Already, thanks to mostly Microsoft Surface Pro, Adobe said that the next version of Photoshop will be DPI scaling friendly. Right now, it stays at 100% scaling, even if you increase your Windows DPI setting. With these monitors, expect more and more programs to do the same.

Already, nearly all Microsoft programs are high DPI ready.

Thanks for the information, I had a slightly hint that something like this would have existed in the wake of higher resolution monitors, but it depends I guess, it won't help on older OS's and programs? 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Thanks for the information, I had a slightly hint that something like this would have existed in the wake of higher resolution monitors, but it depends I guess, it won't help on older OS's and programs? 

Increase DPI setting in Windows started since XP days. Is it as good as Windows 8.1 system? Obviously not.

But if you still run a legacy OS, then your computer doesn't have the power to run such high DPI display properly in any case.

As for old programs, well that's the thing, it depends on the program. Windows can do so much. The other part is programs.

Microsoft tries to help uncompilable programs but there is so much they do (text gets larger to make it readable, but can be cut out, as the text box was made it as a fixed size doesn't scale with the text, or is blurry because the approach it takes is simply scale things bigger as Windows can't interact with the program elements to scale them in some fashion. Of course, for Microsoft, it isn't as simple as that, they are different scaling techniques, they are combinations it can do, tricks, and so on.. which is what Microsoft does, but again, there is just so much they can do without breaking your software.

Increase DPI setting in Windows started since XP days. Is it as good as Windows 8.1 system? Obviously not.

But if you still run a legacy OS, then your computer doesn't have the power to run such high DPI display properly in any case.

As for old programs, well that's the thing, it depends on the program. Windows can do so much. The other part is programs.

Microsoft tries to help uncompilable programs but there is so much they do (text gets larger to make it readable, but can be cut out, as the text box was made it as a fixed size doesn't scale with the text, or is blurry because the approach it takes is simply scale things bigger as Windows can't interact with the program elements to scale them in some fashion. Of course, for Microsoft, it isn't as simple as that, they are different scaling techniques, they are combinations it can do, tricks, and so on.. which is what Microsoft does, but again, there is just so much they can do without breaking your software.

Pretty much, was throwing that in there really. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

It uses HDMI 1.4, which can to 4k at 30Hz. For 60Hz and 10-bit colors, use DisplayPort. The connector you are SUPPOSED to use.

not oled tho :( and people always confuse me with what dp can and cant do i swear linus is waiting for the next version of dp for 4k

Thats going to be a coiple thousand at least...

But can it do 60hz ?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

But can it do 60hz ?

Yes. It does 60Hz 10-bit colors, via DisplayPort 1.2. A DisplayPort 1.2 compatible graphic card is required.

Else, 30Hz 8-bit colors via HDMI 1.4

Details are limited, but the a 24inch 4K monitor makes a surface on Dell website.

The Dell UltraSharp UP2414Q is a Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution monitor, IPS panel, with 178 degree view angle in all directions.

dell-up2414q-overview1.jpg

This massive high pixel density monitor, comes with 100% sRGB coverage, and 99% AdobeRGB coverage. That's right, it s a wide gamut monitor.

It also comes with 2 manufacture color calibrated profiles: AdobeRGB and sRGB profiles, with report, with a claimed Delta-E<2. It can display up to 1.07 billion colors if you have the hardware and content to enjoy such amount of colors, and includes a user-accessible (so programmable) Look-up table (LUT), accessible and configurable via the optional X-Rite i1Display Pro colormeter.

The monitor is fully adjustable, and comes with as input: HDMI, DisplayPort, and mini-DisplayPort. It has a 6-1 media card reader and 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back.

dell-up2414q-overview2.jpg

Like all Dell monitors, is features a 3 year warranty with Dell's Advance Exchange Server, and Premium Panel Guaranty, however details are unknown for this resolution screen. But If it's like the large 32inch version of the same reslution, it's 0 bright pixel guaranty, meaning if you see 1 stuck or bright pixel -> replacement. And 6 or more dead pixel, yes, even for this huge ass resolution -> replacement. No zone or distance policy. Dell pays shipping and arranges for everything, both directions. You get to keep the monitor while you await for the replacement.

dell-up2414q-overview3.jpg

Source: http://www1.la.dell.com/bz/en/corp/peripherals/dell-up2414q/pd.aspx?refid=dell-up2414q&s=corp

No details on price or availability yet.

So the question comes down to: How many will you buy?

Dell Ultrasharps are the best warranty support and exchange in the industry, by far. 

I wonder if it will be a tiled display like the Sharp IGZO panels? Probably.

Never mind the price, I wouldn't consider a 4K panel if it's using MST. Having to deal with Eyefinity/Surround issues for a single monitor? No thanks.

That wouldn't make any sense, it's all about DPI, and 4k on a ~24" display maintains the same scaling ratio as 1920x1080 does. 2560x1440 wouldn't.

What does that matter?  If it's all about DPI scaling, then 2560x1440/1600 shouldn't exist at all.  Even then, why not give us 2880x1620, 1.5x each dimension?

I just want to fit more stuff on the screen without having to upsize to a 27" monitor.  I want more gaming pixels without having to upsize.  A 24" panel at 2560x1440 should be far easier to create than one at 3840x2160.  I don't understand why panel manufacturers continue to hold out on us.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

The only thing I will not like is the price, and make 20-24" with more than 1080p please.

wow needs water spoooch

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I'm still waiting for my 1440p 24 Inch monitor. If my $250 seven inch tablet has a 1080p display, what's the excuse for not giving me a inexpensive 24 inch 1440/4k display?

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

What does that matter?  If it's all about DPI scaling, then 2560x1440/1600 shouldn't exist at all.  Even then, why not give us 2880x1620, 1.5x each dimension?

I just want to fit more stuff on the screen without having to upsize to a 27" monitor.  I want more gaming pixels without having to upsize.  A 24" panel at 2560x1440 should be far easier to create than one at 3840x2160.  I don't understand why panel manufacturers continue to hold out on us.

Because it's a medium that isn't widely used. What entertainment media uses 2560x1440/1600? Video games, that's it. Since cable television and movies are more likely to come out in "4k" everyone is rushing to push out 4k monitors and TV's so everyone has a panel to buy when 4k becomes standard.

Of course people like Dell and Philips who are getting at the ~24" crowd will be able to pick up people who do video, picture and 3D work and charge a premium, then in 2-3 years when 4k is more relevant the prices could be where they are at now(cheap 4k monitors being $150, but professional monitors are $300+{like they are now for 1080p}). Both Google and ASUS have tablets that can do 2560x1600, and they're charging $500 or less for the whole tablet. Now why is that? Because it's competition of the DPI right now in the mobile space. They're trying to outdo their competitor and the common folk are being amazed by these "1440p/1600p" resolutions because they have never heard of them before, which in turn sells these devices because they are are "new".

The reason why there aren't any new 24" 1440p/1600p panels coming out: stagnant market, there's no one that would buy them after a certain price, and the future resolution is here, so why try our luck in a brand new resolution that isn't widely known and there are reports of the PC market "dying"?

There are multiple factors that could be effecting this, what it is exactly? Hell I would guess stupidity and incompetence. Personally if there was a $200-$300 monitor that was 2560x1440, I would buy it(as long as it's from LG, Dell, Samsung, etc. no Korean low end crap). A 2560x1600 monitor? Maybe up to $500 I'd spend on one.

Really looking forward to 4K becoming a thing at screen sizes like this.  As much as I love my 120Hz monitor, I would make the trade off for a panel of this caliber, even if there is a price premium right now.  Hopefully stuff like this will eventually make DisplayPort more mainstream and finally kill off VGA for good.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Lol its been taking down it seems, don't think dell appreciated techpowerup for that article

Wow that is really cheap considering. #teamDell

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Looks like water cooling can wait I am just gonna get this monitor. (walled was safe during crazy sales)

Edit: I wonder how responsive this monitor is going to be for gaming since I have never gamed on 4k tv or monitor.

So they can make a 24" 4k display but it's impossible to make anything smaller than a 27" 1440p display ?

Logic! ;)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.