Best DAC AMP Combo

iPC
1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

I find your lack of judgement for lossless vs lossy disturbing when the matter itself is subjective to the listener and you just generalized it with your first comment.

To help you a bit, you could try getting a CD of that contains Nicki Minaj's 'Super Bass' (Not a fan by the way) and try ripping it in MP3 then try ripping in any lossless audio codec after. Even with arguably trash music, the difference is very apparent.

Again, keep the grounds neutral and up to the listener. What I said awhile ago is that if the listener (OP) couldn't tell the difference between $100 and $200 equipment in terms of audio quality, then OP doesn't need to spend more. The same thing goes for lossless and lossy audio, if OP can't tell the difference (like you) then OP should stop wasting time and be fine with what OP has.

I can tell the difference. There were a couple tests online and 4/5 I got right. I think I'm going to get the setup first, then the lossless audio to go with it. Fingers crossed Spotify opens a lossless tier!

9 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

I find your lack of judgement for lossless vs lossy disturbing when the matter itself is subjective to the listener and you just generalized it with your first comment.

To help you a bit, you could try getting a CD of that contains Nicki Minaj's 'Super Bass' (Not a fan by the way) and try ripping it in MP3 then try ripping in any lossless audio codec after. Even with arguably trash music, the difference is very apparent.

Again, keep the grounds neutral and up to the listener. What I said awhile ago is that if the listener (OP) couldn't tell the difference between $100 and $200 equipment in terms of audio quality, then OP doesn't need to spend more. The same thing goes for lossless and lossy audio, if OP can't tell the difference (like you) then OP should stop wasting time and be fine with what OP has.

better question: how do get a quote on the nfb 11.28?

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, Dackzy said:

Get a NFB 11.28, it is just the better combo at this price point. I think it is going to run you 320$, but it is worth every penny.

How do I get a quote?

Very apparent? With the same mastering, properly compressed 320kbps MP3, it is subtle at best.

16 hours ago, seduce_me said:

Very apparent? With the same mastering, properly compressed 320kbps MP3, it is subtle at best.

Please try it first. I won't tell you there is if it was just subtle. I'm not mad at you or anything I just want you to know what the rest of us here get to hear everyday.

It's a different experience altogether when you get to hear the fine scratches on an acoustic guitar made by the palm of the musician, I'm not talking about pick scratches, I mean when shifting chords you'd know it if you actually play the guitar. It's different when you can hear people talking in the background of a live recording. Different when you can definitely hear musicians miss a beat or even some recording errors were made.

These very small details get filtered out when using lossy codecs, even at max quality settings you won't get to hear these. Some people would get irritated hearing some of these but those people who get irritated prefer casual listening, these details are for critical.

If it isn't for you, then I respect your opinion. After all, this is a very expensive and time-consuming hobby.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

4 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Please try it first. I won't tell you there is if it was just subtle. I'm not mad at you or anything I just want you to know what the rest of us here get to hear everyday.

It's a different experience altogether when you get to hear the fine scratches on an acoustic guitar made by the palm of the musician, I'm not talking about pick scratches, I mean when shifting chords you'd know it if you actually play the guitar. It's different when you can hear people talking in the background of a live recording. Different when you can definitely hear musicians miss a beat or even some recording errors were made.

These very small details get filtered out when using lossy codecs, even at max quality settings you won't get to hear these. Some people would get irritated hearing some of these but those people who get irritated prefer casual listening, these details are for critical.

If it isn't for you, then I respect your opinion. After all, this is a very expensive and time-consuming hobby.

A few things: 

1. The scratching is made by the left fingers, not the palm. The palm shouldn't touch the strings unless you do something very wrong.

2. These details don't get filtered out using good lossy codecs, like 320kbps MP3, or better codecs, like M4A and others.

Tell me an example song you think details like the acoustic guitar shifting scratches disappear when using a 320kbps MP3, and Ill try.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

9 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Still there. No loss of quality.

9 hours ago, spwath said:

A few things: 

1. The scratching is made by the left fingers, not the palm. The palm shouldn't touch the strings unless you do something very wrong.

2. These details don't get filtered out using good lossy codecs, like 320kbps MP3, or better codecs, like M4A and others.

Tell me an example song you think details like the acoustic guitar shifting scratches disappear when using a 320kbps MP3, and Ill try.

A few better things:

1. I play the guitar, but I'm no anatomy genius so whatever this part is, I still call it part of the palm (top part of picture) as well as any part of the finger that's facing the fretboard. I'm open to corrections though.

3 hours ago, seduce_me said:

Still there. No loss of quality.

When you downsample or downscale anything really, of course there is a loss in quality as certain details are not compressed but filtered out. This is the part where I'd be inclined to ask your age, but out of respect I wouldn't.

2. If you guys can please check this out - from another forum.

Also, a test if you will - Here

Examples -

Try listening to some John Mayer songs.

Lastly, instead of hijacking someone else's thread with your own questions in life, why don't you make a "MP3 vs Lossless" thread to settle this properly?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5/6 correct on average, repeated for 8 times. I have an issue because you're exaggerating the differences between well-encoded lossy/lossless recordings to OP and just spreading misinformation through this whole thread. I'm not claiming there isn't an audible differences, there certainly is after critical listening - but the way you suggest to OP on how audio systems are upgraded from lossy to lossless grade is not good advice to a complete beginner.

Again, not trying to start a war, just trying to prevent others from going down the same path as I once did. :)

11 hours ago, seduce_me said:

5/6 correct on average, repeated for 8 times. I have an issue because you're exaggerating the differences between well-encoded lossy/lossless recordings to OP and just spreading misinformation through this whole thread. I'm not claiming there isn't an audible differences, there certainly is after critical listening - but the way you suggest to OP on how audio systems are upgraded from lossy to lossless grade is not good advice to a complete beginner.

Again, not trying to start a war, just trying to prevent others from going down the same path as I once did. :)

I'm amazed you got 5/6, I had a hard time with Neil Young and Jay Z.

I didn't spread misinformation by giving him information which he could or could not consider which is what forums are for. One reason I told him about ripping in lossless is to open up more options for OP.

If OP didn't mind it, OP can always convert to MP3 from lossless. The opposite is impossible if you're going from MP3 to convert to lossless. I just told him about options that some of us here actually do, I have 10 more CDs I need to rip and 20+ I need to re-rip. Re-ripping songs is very frustrating because some of my CDs already have some damage, some I can't even find anymore and I do not wish for anyone to have to go through it. Rip once is always the best option IMO, then convert from there.

And I respect your option on not having to go this route. This thread is already dead, let's move on lol xD

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

12 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

I'm amazed you got 5/6, I had a hard time with Neil Young and Jay Z.

I didn't spread misinformation by giving him information which he could or could not consider which is what forums are for. One reason I told him about ripping in lossless is to open up more options for OP.

If OP didn't mind it, OP can always convert to MP3 from lossless. The opposite is impossible if you're going from MP3 to convert to lossless. I just told him about options that some of us here actually do, I have 10 more CDs I need to rip and 20+ I need to re-rip. Re-ripping songs is very frustrating because some of my CDs already have some damage, some I can't even find anymore and I do not wish for anyone to have to go through it. Rip once is always the best option IMO, then convert from there.

And I respect your option on not having to go this route. This thread is already dead, let's move on lol xD

Quick question before thread is dead. What do you think of hifiman 4xx from massdrop? Better or worse than the HD 6XX?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

51 minutes ago, iPC said:

Quick question before thread is dead. What do you think of hifiman 4xx from massdrop? Better or worse than the HD 6XX?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones

For the most part the HE4xx and HD6xx are going to be very comparable on sound quality, but they will be for different tastes. However, the decision to go with the old style HE400 design will most likely compromise comfort. There were other issues with the HD400 design that they claimed they fixed, but we wont know until people start getting their hands on them.     

7 hours ago, iPC said:

I've heard a great many things about Hifiman. These come down to two things, really great sound quality and really cheap build quality.

Not sure about how good the HE 4XX really is, but this and this is worth a read.

They say the HE400i is better because of the design. You could get this for $250 and will ship definitely earlier than December :P 

Something more comparable to the HD 6XX is the AKG K7XX, same price and they even have a red edition.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

On 7/31/2017 at 5:26 AM, seduce_me said:

Yes. The difference in lossy and lossless audio is way over-exaggerated, and 320kbps is NEAR indistinguishable with critical listening, and even then the differences can be attributed to placebo.

It is and it isn't.  It really depends on what your gear is. If you have an inexpensive DAC you probably won't notice.  When you get into some serious gear though, you will know when a high res 24 bit file is being played.  

23 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

I've heard a great many things about Hifiman. These come down to two things, really great sound quality and really cheap build quality.

Not sure about how good the HE 4XX really is, but this and this is worth a read.

They say the HE400i is better because of the design. You could get this for $250 and will ship definitely earlier than December :P 

Something more comparable to the HD 6XX is the AKG K7XX, same price and they even have a red edition.

I've been reading reviews on both and from what I gather, the AKG K7XX is more analytical while the hd650 is warmer. Do you agree with the reviews conclusion that it is a matter of preference and that the are of equally good quality? Also, is there a place that I can try high end headphones in Massachusetts?

5 hours ago, iPC said:

I've been reading reviews on both and from what I gather, the AKG K7XX is more analytical while the hd650 is warmer. Do you agree with the reviews conclusion that it is a matter of preference and that the are of equally good quality? Also, is there a place that I can try high end headphones in Massachusetts?

Yes, when it comes to sound it always comes down to preference.

I haven't tried either, but I've had my fair share of warm, harsh, smooth, sibilant, etc., sound signatures from in-ears used over the years.

My advice is, if you would like to listen longer periods and for relaxation go for the warm and smooth sound. It is a joy to listen too on afternoons and lay back. I listen to some really old songs, vocal, jazz, mainly because of nostalgia from playing BioShock and Fallout :P The warm sound just makes vocals come alive and feels like the singers are real people and you're not listening through a monitor or speaker.

For critical listening, always go for the linear, airy, bright, well at least for me. Since a lot of the details will come out on some bright and airy ones. But it is sometimes a nuisance when you get to hear some bad mixing or a bad source or when it gets too harsh.

For reference, I use IEMs a lot since I rarely spend my days at home. My go-to IEM has always been my Beyerdynamic MMX 102 for warm and smooth sound. Good bass too, the only thing I don't like about it is it lacks some treble. But then again, any more treble wouldn't make me listen to it for more than 2 hours.

EDIT: I doubt you can try the K7XX and HD 6XX at any store since this is from Mass Drop. But you can find a retailer that gives demos for HD 650 which is what the HD6XX is based on, like an official Sennheiser outlet or retail store. Same thing for the AKG K7XX with the K702. You can go to their website and look for retail outlets :)

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

5 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Yes, when it comes to sound it always comes down to preference.

I haven't tried either, but I've had my fair share of warm, harsh, smooth, sibilant, etc., sound signatures from in-ears used over the years.

My advice is, if you would like to listen longer periods and for relaxation go for the warm and smooth sound. It is a joy to listen too on afternoons and lay back. I listen to some really old songs, vocal, jazz, mainly because of nostalgia from playing BioShock and Fallout :P The warm sound just makes vocals come alive and feels like the singers are real people and you're not listening through a monitor or speaker.

For critical listening, always go for the linear, airy, bright, well at least for me. Since a lot of the details will come out on some bright and airy ones. But it is sometimes a nuisance when you get to hear some bad mixing or a bad source or when it gets too harsh.

For reference, I use IEMs a lot since I rarely spend my days at home. My go-to IEM has always been my Beyerdynamic MMX 102 for warm and smooth sound. Good bass too, the only thing I don't like about it is it lacks some treble. But then again, any more treble wouldn't make me listen to it for more than 2 hours.

EDIT: I doubt you can try the K7XX and HD 6XX at any store since this is from Mass Drop. But you can find a retailer that gives demos for HD 650 which is what the HD6XX is based on, like an official Sennheiser outlet or retail store. Same thing for the AKG K7XX with the K702. You can go to their website and look for retail outlets :)

Ok, I think I'm going to go with the hd6xx. Back on the topic of DAC/amps, what do you think about the NFB 11.28 vs Creative sound blaster X7 vs the jodenheim from schiit? Also, would you recommend me getting a DAC, a pair of AKG K7XXs, and a dark voice 336se top warm it up?

EDIT:6XX aren't dropping any more, so it would be 315$ HD650s vs 200$ AKG K7XXs what do you think?

8 hours ago, iPC said:

Ok, I think I'm going to go with the hd6xx. Back on the topic of DAC/amps, what do you think about the NFB 11.28 vs Creative sound blaster X7 vs the jodenheim from schiit? Also, would you recommend me getting a DAC, a pair of AKG K7XXs, and a dark voice 336se top warm it up?

EDIT:6XX aren't dropping any more, so it would be 315$ HD650s vs 200$ AKG K7XXs what do you think?

Get the AKG K7XX then, ships this August if I remember correctly.

Here's some FAQs about the K7XX. If ran from your PC, most would be fine without an amp. If ran from your mobile device, not so sure depending on the device.

The DAC/Amp combo recommended is just fine for it - NFB 11.28. I don't have it, but it is certainly better than onboard sound :P

As I said in previous posts, your setup is already overkill for 320KBPS Spotify music. You should try it first yourself, and if you think you want to spend a bit more, then buy something else. No need to spend more for now.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Here's some FAQs about the K7XX. If ran from your PC, most would be fine without an amp. If ran from your mobile device, not so sure depending on the device.

The DAC/Amp combo recommended is just fine for it - NFB 11.28. I don't have it, but it is certainly better than onboard sound :P

As I said in previous posts, your setup is already overkill for 320KBPS Spotify music. You should try it first yourself, and if you think you want to spend a bit more, then buy something else. No need to spend more for now.

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Do you think that there AKG for 200 was the right call over the hd650s for 315$?

1 minute ago, iPC said:

Do you think that there AKG for 200 was the right call over the hd650s for 315$?

The difference is $115, I'd say don't spend too much if you're just starting.

If it was the HD 6XX vs K7XX now that would be different since they are both $200. It should come down to preference really. At $200 both are steals, but since the only drop left is the K7XX, I wouldn't be too worried about that HD 6XX, you could always wait for it next year since it's a popular drop, it's kinda bound to repeat.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

The difference is $115, I'd say don't spend too much if you're just starting.

If it was the HD 6XX vs K7XX now that would be different since they are both $200. It should come down to preference really. At $200 both are steals, but since the only drop left is the K7XX, I wouldn't be too worried about that HD 6XX, you could always wait for it next year since it's a popular drop, it's kinda bound to repeat.

Also, K7XXs or k712? I am q fan of darker music, if that's anything to judge my taste in headphones by.  Just imagine they were the same price for a second

3 minutes ago, iPC said:

Also, K7XXs or k712? I am q fan of darker music, if that's anything to judge my taste in headphones by.  Just imagine they were the same price for a second

You mean like metal? Yeah, you'd enjoy some of the sharp sounds you can hear with this especially the sound stage on live recordings. I'm not saying you wouldn't hear it on the HD 6XX. But try to enjoy what you have first.

This could help you a bit.

It wouldn't be a win/loss thing since Mass Drop is offering the K7XX Red Edition which looks good IMO.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

You mean like metal? Yeah, you'd enjoy some of the sharp sounds you can hear with this especially the sound stage on live recordings. I'm not saying you wouldn't hear it on the HD 6XX. But try to enjoy what you have first.

This could help you a bit.

It wouldn't be a win/loss thing since Mass Drop is offering the K7XX Red Edition which looks good IMO.

Not metal. Just within genres of music.