Broadwell-e vs Ryzen?

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Are you thinking about X390 because I have never heard of and google brought up nothing either

its also on the amds slides 

1 hour ago, Himommies said:

Are you thinking about X390 because I have never heard of and google brought up nothing either

Am4 is the socket just like how lga 1151 is a socket. But the main point is that amd said it would have platform support until 2020 so an am4 motherboard bought today, be it b350 or x370, will be able to upgrade to a newer gen cpu like ryzen 2  

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Am4 is the socket just like how lga 1151 is a socket. But the main point is that amd said it would have platform support until 2020 so an am4 motherboard bought today, be it b350 or x370, will be able to upgrade to a newer gen cpu like ryzen 2  

Can you provide me with a link that's official from AMD or one of it's industry affiliates claiming this.Support up to 2020 does not mean it will release CPU's up to 2020

My life

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Can you provide me with a link that's official from AMD or one of it's industry affiliates claiming this.Support up to 2020 does not mean it will release CPU's up to 2020

Can you seriously not look one post above mine?

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Can you seriously not look one post above mine?

Support does not mean releasing CPU's Exclusively on Ryzen until 2020.X390 is proof of that

My life

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

he said that about x299 which just came out....................

he didn't talk about ryzen. 

B U S I N E S S

must be a full mooon strange things are a happenin

5 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

What's AVX?

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

avx is an instruction set and is used in some programs but isn't that common. because AMD made a conscious decision when creating the architecture not to implement the required resources to have avx run fast ryzen doesn't run avx very well. it did save space and money though so it is likely one of the reasons why they can afford to sell their cpus for so cheap. 

Ryzen runs AVX fine, it is AVX2 that it is slow with. AVX is 128 bit, while AVX2 is 256 bit (and the newer AVX-512 should be self explanatory).

Ryzen has 128 bit AVX and for AVX2 instructions can perform these by breaking into two computation cycles. If the AVX2 calculation uses less than 128 bits, it can complete it in a single cycle, however most programs which use AVX2 will be performing computations above this resulting in performance effectively being cut in half.

There are a lot more programs that use AVX than AVX2, coupled with increased cost and power requirement with AVX2 makes AMD's decision with Ryzen's AVX implementation sensible for the average user.

7 hours ago, Sin Stalker said:

The prices of the 1700 and broadwell-e (including mobo) are close enough to consider. Although I haven't looked at RAM so maybe the broadwell-e compatible ram will be more expensive and make it no longer an option.

Ideally you don't want to limit the ram bandwidth so that's 4 modules for quad channel X99 compared to 2 modules for Ryzen. I have 16GB in both my X99 and X299 systems, arranged as 4x4. Might not be much difference than say 2x8.

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

that's from a business perspective. also ryzen is more tested than x299 so alot of the early issues have been ironed out whereas the x299 is basically fresh and nobody knows what issues may arise. 

Ryzen was totally new and it took two major bios releases to get ram compatibility approaching what X299 has out of the box. X299 might be new too but built up Intel's experience. About the only performance question is over the cache rebalance and how that affects applications tuned for historic Intel configurations.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, porina said:

Ideally you don't want to limit the ram bandwidth so that's 4 modules for quad channel X99 compared to 2 modules for Ryzen. I have 16GB in both my X99 and X299 systems, arranged as 4x4. Might not be much difference than say 2x8.

Ryzen was totally new and it took two major bios releases to get ram compatibility approaching what X299 has out of the box. X299 might be new too but built up Intel's experience. About the only performance question is over the cache rebalance and how that affects applications tuned for historic Intel configurations.

x299 is brand new and there will be issues with it that will arise and be fixed as they happen but it is too fresh of a platform to say there wont be any issues with it. ryzen has had time to iron out its issues and ram performance is alot better now as well as it not being as important as some of the other issues that can arise in a new platform.

12 hours ago, Himommies said:

Support does not mean releasing CPU's Exclusively on Ryzen until 2020.X390 is proof of that

they said that they will be releasing cpus on am4 motherboards until 2020 if you really want to argue over what AMD said then you are going to need more proof than look at X390. https://www.dvhardware.net/article65794.html " AMD promises it will not change any electrical requirements so after a BIOS update you should be ready to go." is that proof enough for you..... 

12 hours ago, Himommies said:

you are seriously going to argue about semantics here. they will release their mainstream desktop cpus on am4 with compatibility with all am4 motherboards until 2020. now that means the platform is not dead and there will be cpus to upgrade to in the future. the same can not be said about x99 which wont have any new cpus released on it anymore.