Broadwell-e vs Ryzen?

So I'm looking at my options and I've noticed for within a reasonable amount, Broadwell-e may be an option, as is Ryzen.

Would really help to know use case and any other factors that might influence this. If Broadwell-E is on the cards, why not Skylake-X too?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

What will you be using it for?

2 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

So I'm looking at my options and I've noticed for within a reasonable amount, Broadwell-e may be an option, as is Ryzen.

Just now, porina said:

Would really help to know use case and any other factors that might influence this. If Broadwell-E is on the cards, why not Skylake-X too?

2 minutes ago, porina said:

4 minutes ago, yathis said:

What will you be using it for?

Gaming, media, content creation like art, photo editing and some video editing.

I'm seeing a Broadwell-e on newegg for $350. II am assuming that Skylake-x is going to be alot more. Plus I don't like what intel is doing with the current gen.

Just now, Sin Stalker said:

I'm seeing a Broadwell-e on newegg for $350. II am assuming that Skylake-x is going to be alot more. Plus I don't like what intel is doing with the current gen.

Gaming - OK then Minesweeper, Checkers, Chess, Tetris, Solitaire and the like.

Content creation - OK so then what, Accessories program called Paint.

Photo Editing - Pirated Adobe Photoshop

1 minute ago, Sin Stalker said:

understandable 

ryzen 1700 would be good 

Just now, yathis said:

Gaming - OK then Minesweeper, Checkers, Chess, Tetris, Solitaire and the like.

Content creation - OK so then what, Accessories program called Paint.

Photo Editing - Pirated Adobe Photoshop

Gaming - Current games are H1Z1, GTA V, CSGO and I plan on getting Battlefield Underground. I also want to do VR soon.

Content Creation - Use of GIMP 2.0, not paint. I'll be creating short videos, comic books and art.

Photo Editing - GIMP.

In what scenario is one better than the other?

I see they list 7800X at $421, whereas the 6800k is $350. I'm assuming X99 mobos are cheaper than X299 also, so fair enough. Tricky part is a Ryzen 1700 is showing $300 and mobos are likely cheaper.

I'd simplify it as: if your main performance dependant applications use AVX heavily, go Intel. Otherwise, Ryzen is lower cost.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

I'd simplify it as: if your main performance dependant applications use AVX heavily, go Intel. Otherwise, Ryzen is lower cost.

ryzen will be much cheaper, 5% is not really worth the extra premium. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

ryzen will be much cheaper, 5% is not really worth the extra premium. 

5% what? In AVX2 heavy tasks it is a ball park factor of two difference in IPC.

Just now, porina said:

I see they list 7800X at $421, whereas the 6800k is $350. I'm assuming X99 mobos are cheaper than X299 also, so fair enough. Tricky part is a Ryzen 1700 is showing $300 and mobos are likely cheaper.

Right. I'm trying to keep the ram, mobo and cpu under $600. Anything I have left over can be used towards a better GPU.

I know this isn't a fair apples to apples. Cause the 6800 only has 6 cores, so should be compared to the 1600, I assume. But based on the price I'm seeing, the 1700 is what I'm leaning to over the 1600.

Not sure now that I see a intel k sku thats more than 4 cores 8 threads.

Right. I'm trying to keep the ram, mobo and cpu under $600. Anything I have left over can be used towards a better GPU.

I know this isn't a fair apples to apples. Cause the 6800 only has 6 cores, so should be compared to the 1600, I assume. But based on the price I'm seeing, the 1700 is what I'm leaning to over the 1600.

Not sure now that I see a intel k sku thats more than 4 cores 8 threads.

just get the r7 1700 because it is quite affordable and motherboards are relatively cheap especially when compared to x99. I mean if you need avx then you may want to go intel but that honestly is quite rare.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

just get the r7 1700 because it is quite affordable and motherboards are relatively cheap especially when compared to x99. I mean if you need avx then you may want to go intel but that honestly is quite rare.

Whats AVX?

The prices of the 1700 and broadwell-e (including mobo) are close enough to consider. Although I haven't looked at RAM so maybe the broadwell-e compatible ram will be more expensive and make it no longer an option.

Intel will be more stable, and easier to fix/troubleshoot.

That is why Linus stayed with X99 in his warehouse. Because with him, down time is lost money. He has high over head costs to cover.

Whats AVX?

The prices of the 1700 and broadwell-e (including mobo) are close enough to consider. Although I haven't looked at RAM so maybe the broadwell-e compatible ram will be more expensive and make it no longer an option.

avx is an instruction set and is used in some programs but isn't that common. because AMD made a conscious decision when creating the architecture not to implement the required resources to have avx run fast ryzen doesn't run avx very well. it did save space and money though so it is likely one of the reasons why they can afford to sell their cpus for so cheap. 

2 minutes ago, yathis said:

Intel will be more stable, and easier to fix/troubleshoot.

That is why Linus stayed with X99 in his warehouse. Because with him, down time is lost money. He has high over head costs to cover.

that's from a business perspective. also ryzen is more tested than x299 so alot of the early issues have been ironed out whereas the x299 is basically fresh and nobody knows what issues may arise. 

Whats AVX?

ram is the same regardless if your using amd or intel. They both use DDR4 and some ram MIGHT YET be optimized for AMD, check with manufacturer for details. AMD offers far greater value for the price. Also, consider that the x99 platform was out for years with many developers and manufacturers optimizing for it. AMD didn't have all that time so it's reasonable to assume that AMD will improve further with time and x99 is already end of life. It's been replaced with x299. I have an x99 platform which I'm happy with, but if I was building a system today for gaming/content I would go with AMD.

Which means this OP is in business.

Go X99

20 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

that's from a business perspective. also ryzen is more tested than x299 so alot of the early issues have been ironed out whereas the x299 is basically fresh and nobody knows what issues may arise. 

if you wanna save cash even a 1600 will be great, and if it allows you to go up a tier in graphics cards I'd says its worth it, 6c/12t is still a lot. 

if it doesn't free up enough for a gpu upgrade than yeah 1700 is king. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 minutes ago, yathis said:

Which means this OP is in business.

Go X99

he said that about x299 which just came out....................

he didn't talk about ryzen. 

get a ryzen chip, its more power efficient, its easier to cool, the socket will be supported until 2020 so by the time you might feel like upgrading, the upgrade will be cheaper,

14 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

get a ryzen chip, its more power efficient, its easier to cool, the socket will be supported until 2020 so by the time you might feel like upgrading, the upgrade will be cheaper,

Upgrade to what?1800x

My vote goes to X99.More PCIE Lanes and much much better future upgrade ability.AVX support is there too if you need it 

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Upgrade to what?1800x

My vote goes to X99.More PCIE Lanes and much much better future upgrade ability.AVX support is there too if you need it 

ryzen + and ryzen 2, will be supported in am4, 

what is the upgrade ability of a platform that is already discontinued :-| .

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

ryzen + and ryzen 2, will be supported in am4, 

what is the upgrade ability of a platform that is already discontinued :-| .

Are you thinking about X390 because I have never heard of and google brought up nothing either

My life