Aio liquid coolers are lying to you

Go to solution Solved by Monkey Dust,

High end AIOs edge out high end air coolers for temps, but that doesn't necessarily mean better overclocks. High end air coolers (think DH-15) require big cases though, making them trickier to fit, now that all but the smallest of cases have 240mm rad support. They also block off the top PCI slot (so make sure your MB just has a x1 slot there), and requires low profile RAM. However they are quieter and should last for over a decade.

I'd say the correct answer is what ever works best with your chosen case. Also consider you may not need a high end cooler at all, and the expense don't really make sense on a mid range CPU. A mid range (120mm) air cooler could save a useful chunk of money for a better graphics card, which for a gaming PC should be the focus of your efforts anyway.

So ive ordered my ryzen build including a R5 1600 and while it arrives from amazon i wanted to think of a good aio cooler that supports ryzen like the hyper110i or cm nepton or captain 240ex and then i found this video which completely makes sense

That completely changed my thought of buying an aio and now im thinking of a high end air cooler instead like a noctua dh-15 or a dark rock 3.

My goal was to oc my ryzen to a stable 3.8 or 3.8 considering i live in a hot weather during summer times.

Tell me what you guys think.

Can someone give me a tl;dw i sense bulsthit here

Ah no need, YouTube comment section helps

01.png.36f912a2f040ec1f1cf47d6516b20348.png

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Can someone give me a tl;dw i sense bulsthit here

I saw this a while ago, OP just didn't know about why water cooling works so well/basic thermodynamics 

An aio rakes longer to heats oak than an air cooler as its full of water, meaning it takes longer to get to the max temp.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

A good aio is still better than any air cooler, get a good one like the evga 280 CLC or fractal design celcius s24.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

A good aio is still better than any air cooler, get a good one like the evga 280 CLC or fractal design celcius s24.

Thats what i wanted to know really.

I didnt mean to start a war or anything, just wanted to know where to spend my money correctly.

1 minute ago, moking01 said:

I didnt mean to start a war or anything, just wanted to know where to spend my money correctly.

For R5 1600, R7 1600 the best choice is stock cooler if you don't overclock too much

5 minutes ago, moking01 said:

No prob, I have a flu, my gpu just got splashed in water and its 6AM I haven't slept so I'm a bit ornery.

Back to the question, the evga CLC 120/140/280, arctic freezer 120/240 or celcius s24 are the best value options that will get the best out of your cpu.

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

For R5 1600, R7 1600 the best choice is stock cooler if you don't overclock too much

Yep, the stock cooler is amazing and if you don't go past 3.7-3.8ghz you can very easily use it.

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Im aiming at pushing my R5 1600 to 3.8/3.9 or even 4ghz if i could, so im gonna need an aio.

A high end air cooler cant achieve that much of oc, right ? 

3 minutes ago, moking01 said:

Im aiming at pushing my R5 1600 to 3.8/3.9 or even 4ghz if i could, so im gonna need an aio.

A high end air cooler cant achieve that much of oc, right ? 

Sure, nab a cryorig R1 ultimate, nh-D15 or be quit dark rock pro 3 (I think it's the 3)  are rock solid options.

Even an H7 might be able to push it that fat and they are making rgb one so...

25 minutes ago, moking01 said:

So ive ordered my ryzen build including a R5 1600 and while it arrives from amazon i wanted to think of a good aio cooler that supports ryzen like the hyper110i or cm nepton or captain 240ex and then i found this video which completely makes sense

That completely changed my thought of buying an aio and now im thinking of a high end air cooler instead like a noctua dh-15 or a dark rock 3.

My goal was to oc my ryzen to a stable 3.8 or 3.8 considering i live in a hot weather during summer times.

Tell me what you guys think.

That's why I always recommend air coolers to new builders

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

For 3.7/3.8 you can get away with using the stock cooler... I only use the stock cooler on my 1700 and it works well. For above that temp you will need a higher end air cooler or AIO. But remember that you may not achieve a stable OC higher than 3.7/3.8 anyway.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

my 1800x at 3.9GHZ at 1.419 v is 25-30c at idle then at 100%(voltage drops to 1.356v) load (aida64) it reaches 55-60c with a fractal Kelvin  S36 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

11 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

That's why I always recommend air coolers to new builders

I did many builds before for me and for some friends but its my first time when it comes to aio so i wanted to know if i should buy one -to begin with- or an air cooler should be enough.

8 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

For 3.7/3.8 you can get away with using the stock cooler... I only use the stock cooler on my 1700 and it works well. For above that temp you will need a higher end air cooler or AIO. But remember that you may not achieve a stable OC higher than 3.7/3.8 anyway.

Aright then i might reconsider buying a nh-15 or a dark rock pro 3

I dunno im abit confused

My ambient temp hits 40 sometimes during summer and its not easy for an air cooler to keep up with that if i wanted to do a push/pull configuration

Nothing but rock solid performance and low temps from my Fractal Design AIO. YMMV.  If you don't want an AIO, don't get one.  Plenty of nice air coolers.

High end AIOs edge out high end air coolers for temps, but that doesn't necessarily mean better overclocks. High end air coolers (think DH-15) require big cases though, making them trickier to fit, now that all but the smallest of cases have 240mm rad support. They also block off the top PCI slot (so make sure your MB just has a x1 slot there), and requires low profile RAM. However they are quieter and should last for over a decade.

I'd say the correct answer is what ever works best with your chosen case. Also consider you may not need a high end cooler at all, and the expense don't really make sense on a mid range CPU. A mid range (120mm) air cooler could save a useful chunk of money for a better graphics card, which for a gaming PC should be the focus of your efforts anyway.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

I do really appreciate how you demonstrate it that way. My build is going to be for gaming and some content creation. I went for a b350 rog strix mobo, a nzxt s340 (not the elite) and a gb gtx 1060. And as i mentioned im aiming at maybe a 3.9ghz of oc so i think a 240 aio would be my best bet.

3 hours ago, moking01 said:

My ambient temp hits 40 sometimes during summer and its not easy for an air cooler to keep up with that if i wanted to do a push/pull configuration

You should realize that AIOs (And water coolers generally) are also ultimately air-cooled. You simply take advantage of the large radiator surface as a heat exchanger as well as waters ability to soak up heat from the surface of the CPU block and move it away (by the pump) quickly.

This is why large air-coolers can perform on-par with AIOs, because they have the surface area to match. And is also why small AIOs (120 mm and smaller) perform worst than air coolers because they simply do not have enough surface area to dissipate the heat efficiently.

My personal perception is that watercooling is more for silence and looks, rather than extra overclock or performance for say (in particular for the CPU). GPU temperatures can however improve substantially, especially if you change out a blower-style cooler, leading to more stable clock speeds.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

You should realize that AIOs (And water coolers generally) are also ultimately air-cooled. You simply take advantage of the large radiator surface as a heat exchanger as well as waters ability to soak up heat from the surface of the CPU block and move it away (by the pump) quickly.

This is why large air-coolers can perform on-par with AIOs, because they have the surface area to match. And is also why small AIOs (120 mm and smaller) perform worst than air coolers because they simply do not have enough surface area to dissipate the heat efficiently.

My personal perception is that watercooling is more for silence and looks, rather than extra overclock or performance for say (in particular for the CPU). GPU temperatures can however improve substantially, especially if you change out a blower-style cooler, leading to more stable clock speeds.

That also makes alot of sense to me lol. I found my choice then. Im going for CoolerMaster Nepton 240m. Its not the greatest aio in the world but its gonna save me alot of money from amazon global shipping and all that as its sold locally. 

well when DH15 cost much (sometimes more) as good AIO (Arctic freezer 240) i get AIO, Works Great. Yeah it has disadvantages, but so has air cooler which need much more space, heat is inside a case, you need better airflow. But it cant broke and cant leak. AIO on other side is quieter, temps are better, heat is directly exhausted outside case, it dont depend on airflow (you need some, but its not so depend on how good it is), but can leak and broke in many ways.

12 hours ago, mmm273 said:

well when DH15 cost much (sometimes more) as good AIO (Arctic freezer 240) i get AIO, Works Great. Yeah it has disadvantages, but so has air cooler which need much more space, heat is inside a case, you need better airflow. But it cant broke and cant leak. AIO on other side is quieter, temps are better, heat is directly exhausted outside case, it dont depend on airflow (you need some, but its not so depend on how good it is), but can leak and broke in many ways.

As i knew about aio it might leak, that wont tend to happen very often. In fact it barely happens unless if you are very very unlucky. 

11 hours ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

Classic "Science" Studio, he is my least favorite tech youtuber

Why is that ? Im neutral towards him but he makes some fine content.