How is a PC effected in freezing cold?

Colonal-Kohler

I am looking at building a PC to use in my garage, and it's probably going to be on 24/7. Problem is it's a detached garage that is not heated or cooled, and I live in Ohio where winters get well below 0. Is leaving a PC running in that environment going to kill it, or even if it was off would be bad for it?

It will be fine unless you turn it on  when its freezing and this happens:

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If it's running, it probably won't kill it. I'd imagine your largest issue would be any electrolytic capacitors, as I don't think they're rated for below 0 temps.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

It will be fine unless you turn it on and this happens:

Yeah true, that's what i wanted to say.

If it's too cold don't turn it on.

Like said, since air is cooler than components, cold will condensate as water near hotter surfaces. You don't need much heat to get rid of issue. I would say 10-15C would be fine unless its some mining rig running at full load all the time.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Do NOT put any mechanical hard drives out there.  The cold will warp the metal and almost certainly kill it.  SSD's are kinda ok, but you should try to insulate them if possible.  The controller can that cold, but the NAND cells themselves will last longer if they're warmer (but not too warm).

As for the condensation non-issue.  This is NOT the same thing as a subzero cooler.  1)  The surface has to be cooler than the ambient air for condensation to occur.  2)  If it's below freezing, then there is no liquid/water vapor.  One of the driest places on earth are the polar regions, since, even though it's surrounded by snow and ice, all the H20 there is solid.  

We used to have PCs running constantly in a 4 C cold room with no problems (although they weren't doing much in terms of load to be honest). The only real trouble was when we took it back out to room temperature, then it condensed a lot so we had to make sure it was really well dried. But in theory if its constantly cold and above frosting point, then it should be fine, but if below 0, i can't recommend it.