What do 'Data Recovery Professionals' evens do?

Flashie

Hi

Please understand when I ask what do they do - that I am curious about their means to recovering data from 'failed hard drives'; The process behind all the advertising. 

I know about the class 100 clean rooms required to do the job - but what exactly happens in there? 

What process does my drive go through if I was to hand in a 3TB clicking hard drive that isn't detected by Windows or Linux? 

If it's software they use what softwares do they make use of? Do they replace and swap out potentially non working or defective parts of the hard drive with new ones? 

I'm really curious and can't find any articles online except advertisements stating that their company is best for data recovery.

Thanks

They use specialized hardware usually to extract data off the disks if the drive is totally bust other wise they attempt to repair the drive.

They recover data. Professionally.

Some drives are damaged physically. They stop spinning, have the board damaged, heads get stuck, etc.

They tear them down, take out the platters and transplant them to recover the dataz.

That or they completely rip you off

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, revsilverspine said:

They recover data. Professionally.

Some drives are damaged physically. They stop spinning, have the board damaged, heads get stuck, etc.

They tear them down, take out the platters and transplant them to recover the dataz.

That or they completely rip you off

Yep

31 minutes ago, Flashie said:

Do they replace and swap out potentially non working or defective parts of the hard drive with new ones? 

i believe that's what they do when software solutions are not successful.

that's what i did on an old HDD where the board went up in smoke. lucky for me that i had two of those drives in my system back then so i just swapped over the working board from the other drive. 5 minutes and a very smal torx screwdriver was all it took to get my data back

Have you seen the old willy wonka chocolate factory movie. It's just like that. They have midgets who sing all day i an underground bio-dome. If you ask they will deny it. Top secret stuff that you have to be in the know to know.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Isn't the title self explanatory?

Or did you mean HOW they do it?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Scott Moulk from MyHardDriveDied has quite videos on youtube, as well as his podcast, where he explains quite a bit about how they recover data.  It involves understanding the File System, partitions & boot sectors, the engineering of the hard drive mechanical parts, the hard drive's firmware, etc.

Part of the reason for having to know all this is that you really don't want to make the problem worse.  Think about if you have a damaged graphics card, if you hire someone to fix it, but in the process it burns itself out, well that sucks, but they can just get you a new graphics card.

But a hard drive is not just a product the manufacturer makes:  it has data, and if you're sending it in for a professional data recovery, it's likely data that you have no other way to replace.  So you have to understand how it works, and understand how it breaks, to minimize data loss as much as possible.