Motherboard caught fire

MSI has the worst VRM designs, stay away from their mobos, even on high end for example

Xpower X370 uses same mosfets as B350 Gaming plus

biggest trash

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

13 minutes ago, dave_k said:

MSI has the worst VRM designs, stay away from their mobos, even on high end for example

Xpower X370 uses same mosfets as B350 Gaming plus

biggest trash

Assuming not exaggerating that's pretty shameful. 聽

Workstation:聽 14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB聽@ 5600聽|| Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox:聽13700K @ Stock聽||聽MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W聽shunt聽|| Corsair SF600聽|| CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock聽|| ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W聽|| LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||聽 whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) +聽3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

44 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Snip

So your idea of "inherently flammable" is people going well out of their way to create catastrophic failures? With the exception of the GPU video (which is a somewhat separate issue) none of those are even remotely close to plausible real world situations.

16 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Assuming not exaggerating that's pretty shameful. 聽

a lower end model having higher end hardware is the opposite of shameful ;)

tis alll a matter of perspective :P

17 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

a lower end model having higher end hardware is the opposite of shameful ;)

tis alll a matter of perspective :P

The mosfets they use are low-end even for low-end, they use Niko PK616BA and Niko PK632BA, they cost approx. $0.5 each, they just cram more of them on the mobo if its supposed to be more high-end

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

The mosfets they use are low-end even for low-end, they use Niko PK616BA and Niko PK632BA, they cost approx. $0.5 each, they just cram more of them on the mobo if its supposed to be more high-end

and where does one go to see evaluations/benchmarks and reviews of various VRM's in objective head to head comparisons?

@Zyndo

It's pretty clear you're only goal here is to be contrary. Thank you for letting me know you are one to block. Have a nice miserable life.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750,聽Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2,聽Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB聽Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

16 minutes ago, asand1 said:

@Zyndo

It's pretty clear you're only goal here is to be contrary. Thank you for letting me know you are one to block. Have a nice miserable life.

My only goal is the pursuit of truth, and to share it with others. If people want to spout nonsense then I will contradict them. If people want to back up their claims with reason, facts, and sanity, then I will listen. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

and where does one go to see evaluations/benchmarks and reviews of various VRM's in objective head to head comparisons?

Check out buildzoid's VRM Breakdowns on his channel and Gamers Nexus, look on B350M Gaming Plus breakdown and Xpower breakdown, same mosfets on both.

56 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Check out buildzoid's VRM Breakdowns on his channel and Gamers Nexus, look on B350M Gaming Plus breakdown and Xpower breakdown, same mosfets on both.

This video?:

Firstly let me start by saying i'm not really qualified to critique a lot of what he is saying in this video as I've never truly looked too in depth into this kind of thing myself...

Secondly, the guy in this video never says these VRM's are bad, in fact he expressly says (@12:49) "...Its not going to limit you in any way shape or form when overclocking a Ryzen CPU..." as well as (@13:13) "... It won't actually impact your overclocking capabilities 'cuz the control scheme is fine and its not like you're going to hit a current limit; its not like you're going to melt the VRM..."

Obviously there is a bunch of paraphrasing there and he is doing a fair bit of critiquing as well. Start watching the video at 12:14 to see the nitty gritty of what I mean, but largely what he keep saying and keeps insisting is that its not bad, its just that at this pricepoint he would expect it to be better. Compared to the competition, according to this guy, they have worse VRM's.... but why does any of that matter if they're not going to affect performance in ANY WAY (which he says more than once). If MSI can figure out a way to save money in order to increase other features, or to pocket more money for RnD later on, or whatever they want.... then why is that a problem? Is it really MSI's fault that their competition over-engineers their VRM's? Ryzen is so low power (which he says in this video several times) compared to previous AMD offerings and current intel offerings, that you don't really NEED such high quality VRM's.

In summation he says "the VRM is really not that good for the pricepoint".... which may be true when you compare it to what the competition is offering, but he expressly says that such a thing doesn't matter, and he says it more than once. Up to you what you want to make of that, but to me that is smart on MSI's part. Save the money where you can save it, and use it for something else later on. No sense in MSI overspending on something which is already pretty severe overkill even with their "low quality" stuff. I mean you could pretty much say that Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock's "high quality" VRM's are just there for bragging rights lol. I mean maybe if you introduce LN2 or something into the mix then these VRM's become important, but for pretty much everyone else the MSI components (based on what the guy says in this video) are more than sufficient for anyones needs.

(for reference he claims the competition offers higher amps tolerance VRM's or more efficient VRM's than what MSI has on this board. Which is likely true, but also irrelevant, as he also says MSI's stuff is already overkill)

6 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

This video?:

Obviously there is a bunch of paraphrasing there and he is doing a fair bit of critiquing as well. Start watching the video at 12:14 to see the nitty gritty of what I mean, but largely what he keep saying and keeps insisting is that its not bad, its just that at this pricepoint he would expect it to be better. Compared to the competition, according to this guy, they have better VRM's.... but why does any of that matter if they're not going to affect performance in ANY WAY (which he says more than once). If MSI can figure out a way to save money in order to increase other features, or to pocket more money for RnD later on, or whatever they want.... then why is that a problem? Is it really MSI's fault that their competition over-engineers their VRM's? Ryzen is so low power (which he says in this video several times) compared to previous AMD offerings and current intel offerings, that you don't really NEED such high quality VRM's.

In summation he says "the VRM is really not that good for the pricepoint".... which may be true when you compare it to what the competition is offering, but he expressly says that such a thing doesn't matter, and he says it more than once. Up to you what you want to make of that, but to me that is smart on MSI's part. Save the money where you can save it, and use it for something else later on. No sense in MSI overspending on something which is already over-engineered even with their "low quality" stuff.

(for reference he claims the competition offers higher amps tolerance VRM's or more efficient VRM's than what MSI has on this board. Which is likely true, but also irrelevant, as he also says MSI's stuff is already overkill)

(wow.... linking the video killed a whole paragraph of my post... one moment whilst i fix)

Because, look on Asus, they use the best of the best you can get, extremely high efficiency mosfets and perfect controllers on聽cheaper boards, Xpower is the most expensive board for Ryzen you can get, Asus has much better VRM on Prime X370-Pro which costs like 180 USD. He also says that he ditched XPower because of this design (in a different video).

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Because, look on Asus, they use the best of the best you can get, extremely high efficiency mosfets and perfect controllers on聽cheaper boards, Xpower is the most expensive board for Ryzen you can get, Asus has much better VRM on Prime X370-Pro which costs like 180 USD

And? none of that actually affects performance... so other than bragging rights, why does any of it matter? I'm certainly not saying everyone should buy the Xpower... buy whatever motherbaord you want I don't really care. If i was going X370 I would buy the CH6 (for looks and Asus features)... what I'm saying is don't call MSI out for being lazy or cheap or shoddy because they didn't get caught up in an irrelevant arms race which affects absolutely nothing. Nothing in that video warrants the labels "trash" or "stay away from their motherboards"... thats all I'm saying.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:11 AM, Krillingt75961 said:

You said you cleaned it. What did you clean it with? How did you put the heat sink back on?

97% isopropyl but it was nowhere near the vrm and I never took it off to clean it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Op you're surprised by this?

I also have that exact model board in my PC granted I know my board won't burn down my house because I'm using a CPU that's certified for my board. This guy got his board to catch fire by installing a 200w CPU in a 125w max board.聽

MSI is the worst big-name motherboard maker so it shouldn't be any surprise. Stay away.