Gtx 1080 to strix getting too hot for water cooling?

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
Just now, Dannylti95 said:

-snip-

Definitely leave them on, one way to think about it is that if the backplate is hot, that is temperature from the chips being dissipated using the increased surface area. My backplate is hot too, but I also know that the chips they sit under used to be even hotter,

Hi guys, this is my first post. I've been looking around all the forums but I can't find specific info on this. I built my very first gaming PC with a single loop for my CPU and GPU. I have a 7700k and a ROG GTX 1080 ti strix. Ek Evo supremacy block, bitspower GPU block 480 mm rad for the GPU and 360 for the CPU. Both running off of a single revo 140 pump from ek. At full load I see CPU temps reaching nearly 80° and GPU reaching the 72° area. Pump and fans run fine. I double checked the block placement and even replaced the thermal paste. Still same temps. I have plenty of air flow. The case is a thermal take core w100. Total of 11 fans. I'm wondering if a single pump isn't enough. Maybe the bends are too tight idk. What do you guys think?

20170711_005841.jpg

Thats a D5 pump from EK right? That should be sufficient for a gpu/cpu blocks and 480+360 rad. 

I also believe that pump is controlled via PWM - Have you set a curve to it? Try switching it manually to the highest level and compare results. Aside from that all I can think of is maybe your blocks are not in full contact, maybe try re-doing them with new paste.

Edit: Looking at your bends - It could very well be that. Look at the bend going into the top of your GPU...it doesn't look "a bit kinked" - It looks nearly flattened!

What are your ambient temps? What are your clock speeds? Have you set your GPU to overclock until it reaches higher temps?

Either way, it's probably the pump. You want high flow rate for optimal cooling and several things impact your flow rate, including length of tube, its bends, its height, its diameter. I see most of your bends kink a little, which definitely increases the resistance which makes the job harder for your pump. But I am not the most experienced with custom watercooling, so don't quote me on this :P

21 hours ago, DocShay said:

Thats a D5 pump from EK right? That should be sufficient for a gpu/cpu blocks and 480+360 rad. 

I also believe that pump is controlled via PWM - Have you set a curve to it? Try switching it manually to the highest level and compare results. Aside from that all I can think of is maybe your blocks are not in full contact, maybe try re-doing them with new paste.

Edit: Looking at your bends - It could very well be that. Look at the bend going into the top of your GPU...it doesn't look "a bit kinked" - It looks nearly flattened!

I did redo the blocks with new paste. Set the pump curve to 100% prior to posting. The tube by the GPU looks kinked from the angle but it's not restricted, although I do agree the bends do look a bit kinked. And yes it's is a D5 pump from ek. 

21 hours ago, リチャード said:

What are your ambient temps? What are your clock speeds? Have you set your GPU to overclock until it reaches higher temps?

Either way, it's probably the pump. You want high flow rate for optimal cooling and several things impact your flow rate, including length of tube, its bends, its height, its diameter. I see most of your bends kink a little, which definitely increases the resistance which makes the job harder for your pump. But I am not the most experienced with custom watercooling, so don't quote me on this :P

Ambient temp is about 68° F and clock speeds are stock on both GPU and CPU. I've tried with both over clocked and stock. Overclocked does get about 10° C hotter on both GPU and CPU. And like I on the other reply I do think the kinks have something to do with it, as well as the pump. I'm saving up for another pump and res for the GPU alone making it a dual loop.   

40 minutes ago, Dannylti95 said:

Ambient temp is about 68° F and clock speeds are stock on both GPU and CPU. I've tried with both over clocked and stock. Overclocked does get about 10° C hotter on both GPU and CPU. And like I on the other reply I do think the kinks have something to do with it, as well as the pump. I'm saving up for another pump and res for the GPU alone making it a dual loop.   

What speed is the pump on? The D5's are the "go to" pump currently - A single GPU and CPU with your rads - I would be blown away if a D5 could not handle that. They have 1500 L/HR flow rate and 3.7M head pressure at 12V.

There are plenty of people out their using SLI + CPU with D5's

2 hours ago, Dannylti95 said:

=snip=

Your temps sound too hot to me. I live in a place where my ambients are about 5 degrees warmer, but my load temps are a bit lower with substantially less radiator space (240+360 in my case) . I've also got 2x 1080s and a 7700K in one loop with a D5 so that is not your problem (unless you are running it incredibly slowly).

Apart from the bends which do look a bit flat in places, I can't work out from the picture if there is some air or something weird happening with the coolant due to light, it looks a bit precipitated or airy in the tube between the CPU block and top rad on the right side. Can you take a second photo without the ambient LED lighing (or make it whiter, more natural) and perhaps more side on, also if its easy, without the strix cooler on the bottom. What radiator and coolant are you using?

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

Your temps sound too hot to me. I live in a place where my ambients are about 5 degrees warmer, but my load temps are a bit lower with substantially less radiator space (240+360 in my case) . I've also got 2x 1080s and a 7700K in one loop with a D5 so that is not your problem (unless you are running it incredibly slowly).

Apart from the bends which do look a bit flat in places, I can't work out from the picture if there is some air or something weird happening with the coolant due to light, it looks a bit precipitated or airy in the tube between the CPU block and top rad on the right side. Can you take a second photo without the ambient LED lighing (or make it whiter, more natural) and perhaps more side on, also if its easy, without the strix cooler on the bottom. What radiator and coolant are you using?

I'm using for both ek coolstream pe front is 360 top is 480 for coolant I'm using ek cryofuel. Here's better pics. I know there's a bit of bubbles stuck on the tubes, I spent 2 days airing this thing out also twisting the case all angles to get as much air out as possible. 

1499772270677340169678.jpg

1499772313331920264240.jpg

1499772345360371756575.jpg

14997724097472056981705.jpg

5 hours ago, DocShay said:

What speed is the pump on? The D5's are the "go to" pump currently - A single GPU and CPU with your rads - I would be blown away if a D5 could not handle that. They have 1500 L/HR flow rate and 3.7M head pressure at 12V.

There are plenty of people out their using SLI + CPU with D5's

I tried both good pump curves and full speed doesn't make a difference in temps. And yeah I know it's a good pump and that's exactly why I got it. I'm really puzzled over what it could be. Ive seen people do crazier tube bends than my rig and still get much more cooling efficiency than mine

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but am I seeing this right? You have the top rad as intake and the front rad as exhaust?

That's a somewhat strange arrangement. It shouldn't be the cause of the problem, but it looks fairly restrictive up top.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

I tried both good pump curves and full speed doesn't make a difference in temps. And yeah I know it's a good pump and that's exactly why I got it. I'm really puzzled over what it could be. Ive seen people do crazier tube bends than my rig and still get much more cooling efficiency than mine

Another thing to try is to get a flow meter and measure that. If you still have a high flow rate - yet temperatures are this high - It must be the contact points on the blocks.

I suppose we can't rule out a "bad" pump either - From my experience they either work or they don't. I don't think it's very common to have a semi-working pump. You should be able to hear an audible difference between the pump speeds - Give it a listen. If it sounds the same at the low and high levels - something is not functioning right.

4 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but am I seeing this right? You have the top rad as intake and the front rad as exhaust?

That's a somewhat strange arrangement. It shouldn't be the cause of the problem, but it looks fairly restrictive up top.

You are correct I had the front as intake and top as exhaust but then I was having negavite pressure in the case. I will correct this when I get new tubing and a new pump res combo in. As far as restricting flow, I got plenty of it, I have fans both on the rad blowing down and bottom fans blowing up. Rear and front work as exhaust. For a total of 7 intake and 4 exhaust fans 

You are correct I had the front as intake and top as exhaust but then I was having negavite pressure in the case. I will correct this when I get new tubing and a new pump res combo in. As far as restricting flow, I got plenty of it, I have fans both on the rad blowing down and bottom fans blowing up. Rear and front work as exhaust. For a total of 7 intake and 4 exhaust fans 

The only issue I see is that the front rad is being fed warm air from inside the case and warmer air from the other rad. Again, I wouldn't pin it as the cause, just something to have in mind maybe as temperatures in excess of 35C can be observed inside a case (assuming it's closed). I can't personally find any fundamental issue with the loop other than maybe an underperforming pump, an obstruction or air pocket (which you said you bled).

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

2 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

The only issue I see is that the front rad is being fed warm air from inside the case and warmer air from the other rad. Again, I wouldn't pin it as the cause, just something to have in mind maybe as temperatures in excess of 35C can be observed inside a case (assuming it's closed). I can't personally find any fundamental issue with the loop other than maybe an underperforming pump, an obstruction or air pocket (which you said you bled).

13 minutes ago, DocShay said:

Another thing to try is to get a flow meter and measure that. If you still have a high flow rate - yet temperatures are this high - It must be the contact points on the blocks.

I suppose we can't rule out a "bad" pump either - From my experience they either work or they don't. I don't think it's very common to have a semi-working pump. You should be able to hear an audible difference between the pump speeds - Give it a listen. If it sounds the same at the low and high levels - something is not functioning right.

I don't think it's the contact points, like I said before I re did the blocks on both GPU and CPU. I should also note that my idle temps are really low, I'm talking 25° C sometimes. I'll give the flow meter a try when I get the new tubing and pump in 

15 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

When I was bleeding the system, the pump was completely blowing away the bubbles, I doubt it's malfunctioning, I was thinking one pump isn't enough but from what everybody tells me it appears it's more than enough

15 hours ago, For Science! said:

Is your 7700K delidded?

No it's not, I wanna do that soon though. I was thinking thermal grizzly and I was also thinking using it on the GPU just on the chip but I don't know wether it's safe or not on the GPU 

1 minute ago, Dannylti95 said:

When I was bleeding the system, the pump was completely blowing away the bubbles, I doubt it's malfunctioning, I was thinking one pump isn't enough but from what everybody tells me it appears it's more than enough

Yeah unfortunately the only way I see testing this is by flow meter and cross-checking with other similar setups.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

45 minutes ago, Dannylti95 said:

-snip-

So I couldn't find anything obvious with your loop, apart from the fact that your GPU block may not be full. this should be obvious by just having a look under it, the only reason why I suggest this is you thread on the right side is not as full as the leg. Your CPU temps are normalish for a non-delidded  7700k. 

Again consider changing the position of your RAM stick for dual channel mode, although it is completely unrelated to the loop.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

So I couldn't find anything obvious with your loop, apart from the fact that your GPU block may not be full. this should be obvious by just having a look under it, the only reason why I suggest this is you thread on the right side is not as full as the leg. Your CPU temps are normalish for a non-delidded  7700k. 

Again consider changing the position of your RAM stick for dual channel mode, although it is completely unrelated to the loop.

I will try that, and I'll keep searching and tinkering with it to see if it changes. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help! :)

I have the same CPU as you and a EVGA 1080 ti FE, but I use the EK GPU block, have 240+280 rad space and a DDC 3.2 pump.

My GPU temps are much lower than yours. At full load my GPU maxes out at around 43C with fans at full speed. With fans at ~40% the temp is around 50C depending on the ambient temp. I am running my DDC pump(which is weaker than yours) at a constant 30%. I would defnitely say that there's somewhere in your loop where heat is not getting transfered properly.

Your CPU temps aren't that far from mine. I don't know if you are overclocking or not, but at stock speeds I only get slightly lower temps than you running prime95(the older, non-powervirus version). It really sucks that all 7700k are in a serious need of delidding :P 

4 hours ago, Dannylti95 said:

No it's not, I wanna do that soon though. I was thinking thermal grizzly and I was also thinking using it on the GPU just on the chip but I don't know wether it's safe or not on the GPU 

liquid metal is good for the CPU die but I wouldn't use it for the GPU. People have done the comparisons and I think the general conclusion is it not worth it 

12 hours ago, rasmuskrj said:

I have the same CPU as you and a EVGA 1080 ti FE, but I use the EK GPU block, have 240+280 rad space and a DDC 3.2 pump.

My GPU temps are much lower than yours. At full load my GPU maxes out at around 43C with fans at full speed. With fans at ~40% the temp is around 50C depending on the ambient temp. I am running my DDC pump(which is weaker than yours) at a constant 30%. I would defnitely say that there's somewhere in your loop where heat is not getting transfered properly.

Your CPU temps aren't that far from mine. I don't know if you are overclocking or not, but at stock speeds I only get slightly lower temps than you running prime95(the older, non-powervirus version). It really sucks that all 7700k are in a serious need of delidding :P 

Good to know! I don't know wether or not the GPU block itself might be playing a factor here, I am 100% sure I installed it right, maybe it's the design? Idk. Mid 40s at full load is what I'm looking for, as for the 7700K yes definitely in need of delidding. If I find out the block is the problem I'll bite the bullet and buy an ek block I guess:/

10 hours ago, For Science! said:

liquid metal is good for the CPU die but I wouldn't use it for the GPU. People have done the comparisons and I think the general conclusion is it not worth it 

What paste would you recommend for the GPU then?

What paste would you recommend for the GPU then?

I used Arctic MX-4, some people had an opinion of Arctic Silver 5 being capacitative, But any good normal paste is good, So I in fact have a mish-mash of pastes:

CPU--> IHS = Conductonaut

IHS --> Cooler = Arctic Silver 5

GPU --> Cooler = Arctic MX4

3 minutes ago, Dannylti95 said:

Good to know! I don't know wether or not the GPU block itself might be playing a factor here, I am 100% sure I installed it right, maybe it's the design? Idk. Mid 40s at full load is what I'm looking for, as for the 7700K yes definitely in need of delidding. If I find out the block is the problem I'll bite the bullet and buy an ek block I guess:/

I seriously doubt that the GPU block is the problem, unless its defective somehow. But I mean its basically just a block a copper, so it would have to be bent or somthing that could reduce contact.

I only have experience with Bitspower fittings but they are definetely higher quality than the EK fittings i have. This implies to me that their blocks are high quality as well.

4 minutes ago, rasmuskrj said:

-snip-

Seconded, I have 2x 1080 using bitspower blocks and my temps are fine,