i3-6100 with stock heatsink maxing out at 57°C?

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
On 9.7.2017 at 4:20 PM, HamsterianPig said:

It was about an I7 but i was expecting the heatsinks to be better depending on the CPU.

Besides WooderMarkers point, i7 puts maybe 30-50% more load on cooler. So even when cooler is bit better, temps will also be higher.

So i was bored and i decided to benchmark my CPU because i wanted to see how well it did and while i was benchmarking it, it woudnt go above 60° C and it wasnt thermal throttling. This was a little odd since ive seen videos where with its stock cooler its usually around 80° .. I left it running for 10 minutes  before i took the picture so i stopped it thinking it was a bug, started it again and it never went above 60° . Heres my screenshot,

Now i probably made myself look like a fool from this but im not the biggest in tech, i started getting into tecnology like 6 months ago and so far i love computers and all these extreme tech stuffs.. I built my own computer around two months ago and its so much better than a laptop. Even if it had almost the same specs as my laptop, it still beats it :)

aa.PNG

Nothing wrong with that. So long as it performs well and stays cool then you're fine. You might have extra airflow in the case to move hot air out faster compared to those who show higher temps or some other factors.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is why you shouldn't underestimate stock coolers ;) (Ok only Intel and Wraith).

You might have a case and environment that compliments good airflow too, good on you sir!

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Nothing wrong with that. So long as it performs well and stays cool then you're fine. You might have extra airflow in the case to move hot air out faster compared to those who show higher temps or some other factors.

I have my fans set at the max in my case and its barely audible. People always make a big fuzz about their quietness  but laptops are so loud compared to computer fans lmao

Just now, HamsterianPig said:

I have my fans set at the max in my case and its barely audible. People always make a big fuzz about their quietness  but laptops are so loud compared to computer fans lmao

Yah, some fans *cough*Delta*cough* are like jet engines but most, especially 140mm fans, are pretty quiet even at full load.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Even with 14 fans in my case running at 100% it's audible but I wouldn't call it overly loud compared to my work laptop when it ramps up to 100%, lol.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, HamsterianPig said:

This is normal. The stock cooler is generally not that loud but people tend to parrot what others have said as if all stock coolers are the same on all cpus. 

There are cases where an i7 might have core voltage set pretty high on auto or a case with bad ventilation can result in a loud stock cooler but this is not the norm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

This is normal. The stock cooler is generally not that loud but people tend to parrot what others have said as if all stock coolers are the same on all cpus. 

There are cases where an i7 might have core voltage set pretty high on auto or a case with bad ventilation can result in a loud stock cooler but this is not the norm.

My case fans are louder hahaha

By any chance the pics and reviews you read were about i5/i7? i3 is lower end CPU with quite nice limits. Even locked i5 (4460 for example) doesn't hit 80C under benchmarking with Cinebench (tested with room temp being 25C).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

By any chance the pics and reviews you read were about i5/i7? i3 is lower end CPU with quite nice limits. Even locked i5 (4460 for example) doesn't hit 80C under benchmarking with Cinebench (tested with room temp being 25C).

It was about an I7 but i was expecting the heatsinks to be better depending on the CPU.

2 hours ago, HamsterianPig said:

Beefier cpus like quad core i5/i7's do have better stock coolers but not so much better that they'd be quieter than the smaller stock coolers used on i3's, celerons, or pentiums which are much easier to cool.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Beefier cpus like quad core i5/i7's do have better stock coolers but not so much better that they'd be quieter than the smaller stock coolers used on i3's, celerons, or pentiums which are much easier to cool.

Makes sense, sorry if i seemed stupid.. x.x

On 9.7.2017 at 4:20 PM, HamsterianPig said:

Besides WooderMarkers point, i7 puts maybe 30-50% more load on cooler. So even when cooler is bit better, temps will also be higher.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Good point.. So, should i get something like a Be quiet dark rock 3 when i get an i5? or is that overkill? Im also thinking of a cryorig H7 :P

19 minutes ago, HamsterianPig said:

Good point.. So, should i get something like a Be quiet dark rock 3 when i get an i5? or is that overkill? Im also thinking of a cryorig H7 :P

For non-OC? Depends. They aren't required, but since cooling performance is better than with budget coolers, you can run fans at slower speeds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv