Sourcing motherboard for NES

Nowak

It's been one of my goals to get a working NES since my family's original one died 21 years ago. The closest I got was when my parents bought me a NES at a flea market in Pennsylvania a few years ago; it was fun playing games I never got to play during my childhood because the damn NES died before I could even play on it, but then a thunderstorm hit and the NES short circuited. While it seemed to live for a few weeks, the damage was done and it died soon after.

I've localized the problem to the motherboard, but finding a replacement motherboard has been hard, to say the least. The closest I've gotten is iFixit, but they're out of stock. Any leads on where to find a new motherboard, preferably on the cheap, would be appreciated ^^

It honestly sounds like you love the priginal aspect of the nes but have you ever thought about rigging a rasberry pi to it or something

why not get the NES classic...

oh wait, those are even harder to find than an NES motherboard.

legit though, you can probably just buy it off ebay.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

well, you legit own an nes...why not just use an emulator? Or are you addicted to that non ergonomic controller feel

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

well, you legit own an nes...why not just use an emulator? Or are you addicted to that non ergonomic controller feel

Nostalgia + can't play my NES carts with an emulator unless I dump them to a ROM.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Nostalgia + can't play my NES carts with an emulator unless I dump them to a ROM.

you can just get roms that other people have dumped other wise it may just be easier to buy a full nes their only like 60 - 80 cad last i checked

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Feel like emulator ruins the feel of the game. 

Just now, Alaradia said:

you can just get roms that other people have dumped 

It's not quite the same.

For a game that ever has compared or is played on a console like or is the nes the nes box controller is as the kids call it dope af

24 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Another suggestion is to take a look at one of these

RetroUSB AVS

It's a FPGA based clone unit that uses original NES cartridges, but outputs at 720p over a HDMI connection. I picked one up a while back and, even at the $180, I felt it was worth it.The games look great and I haven't had any issues with compatibility.

5 minutes ago, linkboy said:

Another suggestion is to take a look at one of these

RetroUSB AVS

It's a FPGA based clone unit that uses original NES cartridges, but outputs at 720p over a HDMI connection. I picked one up a while back and, even at the $180, I felt it was worth it.The games look great and I haven't had any issues with compatibility.

$170, that's a bit steep don't ya think?

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

$170, that's a bit steep don't ya think?

I'll admit that it is, but it's due to the FPGA. It's not one of those knock off $30 NES clones. With a lot of newer TV's ditching RCA ports, and older games generally looking like crap on HDTV's or HDTV's introducing input lag, it's going to be a lot harder to play physical versions of older console games if you don't have a CRT (of which decent ones of those are getting harder to find).

I mentioned it more of a way to future proof your NES library.

Either way, I hope you find what you need to get your NES working again. It's a great system.

Just now, linkboy said:

I'll admit that it is, but it's due to the FPGA. It's not one of those knock off $30 NES clones. With a lot of newer TV's ditching RCA ports, and older games generally looking like crap on HDTV's or HDTV's introducing input lag, it's going to be a lot harder to play physical versions of older console games if you don't have a CRT (of which decent ones of those are getting harder to find).

I mentioned it more of a way to future proof your NES library

I'll consider it.