Playstation 4 Pro

XiiXii808

I'm getting a ps4 pro in a month  to add on my pc setup to play games like the remastered crash bandicoot and ratchet and clank etc, if there's anyone with a ps4 pro do most games run in 1080p 60 fps? if not should i go for the slim version and save my money? i saw some people say that new comers to playstation  4 should get the pro. I had a ps4 that i got on launch day back in 2013 but i didnt play it as much because of the lack of games that were out of course but now that there is great games like the last of us part 2 coming out i really want a ps4 again and to play the remastered games for it but not sure if it's worth it going for the pro model. Then again i'll have the money for either one

4 minutes ago, XiiXii808 said:

if there's anyone with a ps4 pro do most games run in 1080p 60 fps?

i own one, most games are designed for higher resolution than 60 fps, due to CPU bottleneck. 

4 minutes ago, XiiXii808 said:

if not should i go for the slim version and save my money?

no, if you have the money go for the pro

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i own one, most games are designed for higher resolution than 60 fps, due to CPU bottleneck.

Lots of people claiming this, but seeing no real empirical or anecdotal evidence from developers to support it.

And no, you can't use PC gaming as evidence.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Lots of people claiming this, but seeing no real empirical or anecdotal evidence from developers to support it.

digital foundry did a video on it, also yes they do have evidence 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

digital foundry did a video on it, also yes they do have evidence 

None of these appear to suggest the CPU is holding anything back. It only suggests that some games still target 30 FPS because they can guarantee 30 FPS but not 60 FPS most of the time. Having a smoother experience is much more pleasant than as-fast-as-possible that can't really maintain a frame rate. I mean, sure, there are some games that did appear CPU sensitive, but those are usually the exception.

Aside from that, they're making claims based on what they know from the PC side, which I specifically asked not to use. I say this because the target environments are different enough. You can use it as weak evidence, but not really strong evidence.

However, I won't argue that developers would rather target high quality visuals at 30 FPS than aim for 60 FPS.

Defo get the Pro if you can afford it. It'll keep you covered up to 4K, and should stay relevant for longer (hopefully). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

There's also the idea that developers will set a target performance and use up the resources until they no longer reach that performance. If the developers are dead set on 30 FPS, they will use up the CPU as much as they want until it stops being 30 FPS. Boost mode be damned. Also note that other attempts to improve performance on newer consoles with older software rarely worked as intended (though the XB1 seems to be an exception)

So really, until developers really start seeing the platform no longer capable of doing what they want, arguing that there are bottlenecks somewhere is pointless. The developers don't see what we see, nor particularly care.

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

None of these appear to suggest the CPU is holding anything back. It only suggests that some games still target 30 FPS because they can guarantee 30 FPS but not 60 FPS most of the time.

watch this 

6 hours ago, XiiXii808 said:

I'm getting a ps4 pro in a month  to add on my pc setup to play games like the remastered crash bandicoot and ratchet and clank etc, if there's anyone with a ps4 pro do most games run in 1080p 60 fps? if not should i go for the slim version and save my money? i saw some people say that new comers to playstation  4 should get the pro. I had a ps4 that i got on launch day back in 2013 but i didnt play it as much because of the lack of games that were out of course but now that there is great games like the last of us part 2 coming out i really want a ps4 again and to play the remastered games for it but not sure if it's worth it going for the pro model. Then again i'll have the money for either one

It's worth it for the price difference between the two models if you plan on getting a pseudo "4K" TV in the future and enjoy playing games rendered at 1440p scaled up to "4K" between ~30FPS and ~60FPS. Otherwise it's entirely your call if you only have a 1080p TV and aren't upgrading anytime soon, since the regular PS4 scales games to 1080p from 960p most of the time, and they look just fine.

The only reason I would want to upgrade from my regular PS4 to the Pro is for 960p Remote Play streaming.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)