Trying to decide on Ryzen 7 or 7700k

Go to solution Solved by JakeNTech,
1 hour ago, Hikaru12 said:

From the benchmarks it looks like it's around a 10 second difference so with GPU acceleration might not be a huge deal. I'm thinking 7600k might work here. 

It all just depends on how patient you I guess,lol. Spending the extra money on a i7 ,seems to me anyway, a bit of a waste. 

I'm planning a HTPC build where I'll be gaming at 1080P and also doing Handbrake encoding of Blurays to prepare the media for Kodi.

My question should I go with an 1800x or a 7700k? I already have a z270 board and Ryzen doesn't have any mini itx boards worth a damn out yet. I'm willing to wait so that is not an issue. Thanks!

Seeings as you already have a Z270 motherboard (Assuming its a mini itx), it would be a massive waste not to buy a 7700k. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Haven't had an atx board in ages, was also disappointed with the lack of itx love on AMD's side.  If you already have a board, grab a chip and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Hikaru12 said:

I'm planning a HTPC build where I'll be gaming at 1080P and also doing Handbrake encoding of Blurays to prepare the media for Kodi.

My question should I go with an 1800x or a 7700k? I already have a z270 board and Ryzen doesn't have any mini itx boards worth a damn out yet. I'm willing to wait so that is not an issue. Thanks!

If you already have the motherboard I would go intel, although would be worth considering i5's

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

3 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Seeings as you already have a Z270 motherboard (Assuming its a mini itx), it would be a massive waste not to buy a 7700k. 

Yeah he is right, and it is still solid at least better than 7740X

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

13 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

If you already have the motherboard I would go intel, although would be worth considering i5's

I'm wondering how much a difference hyperthreading makes in Handbrake to justify the $100 in price difference. I plan on putting this under custom water so I should be able to hit at least 4.8.

Just now, Hikaru12 said:

I'm wondering how much a difference hyperthreading makes in Handbrake to justify the $100 in price difference. I plan on putting this under custom water so I should be able to hit at least 4.8.

Fair enough. WIth out having a hyper treaded cpu I can't tell you any more, but the 7700k just seems too much for what you get in most use cases. If you can hold back I would wait until prime day, it may be reduced,….

Considering you already have the board, it'd be cheaper to buy the 7700K than to buy an R7 1700 and another motherboard. If you didn't already have the board, Ryzen would be the way to go.

6 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Fair enough. WIth out having a hyper treaded cpu I can't tell you any more, but the 7700k just seems too much for what you get in most use cases. If you can hold back I would wait until prime day, it may be reduced,….

From the benchmarks it looks like it's around a 10 second difference so with GPU acceleration might not be a huge deal. I'm thinking 7600k might work here. 

1 hour ago, Hikaru12 said:

It all just depends on how patient you I guess,lol. Spending the extra money on a i7 ,seems to me anyway, a bit of a waste.