Ethereum mining uses as much energy as a small country

Ginger_

Don't forget people have to mine for the crypto currencies for it to actually work, it's a requirement. People aren't simply wasting energy, the whole currency would stop working if no one was mining as all the blocks would get used then there would be no supply. You could still trade existing currency and you would still need computers in the network to verify transactions etc but the whole system would die pretty fast if no new blocks were being generated.

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't forget people have to mine for the crypto currencies for it to actually work, it's a requirement. People aren't simply wasting energy, the whole currency would stop working if no one was mining as all the blocks would get used then there would be no supply. You could still trade existing currency and you would still need computers in the network to verify transactions etc but the whole system would die pretty fast if no new blocks were being generated.

I think that why Ether is most likely switching to a proof of stake rather than proof of work, so its still being mined, but not using the insane energy it does now

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

I don't get why mining is set up to be basically just useless computing. Why not have the algorithms do something useful like FAH (or any other scientific simulation or deep learning) and then reward miners with coin. There's such a waste of computing power that can be used for good and still make the miners money.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

3 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I don't get why mining is set up to be basically just useless computing. Why not have the algorithms do something useful like FAH (or any other scientific simulation or deep learning) and then reward miners with coin. There's such a waste of computing power that can be used for good and still make the miners money.

I'm guessing I could find out with a simple Google search but I'm lazy lol so what does the computing power even get used for?

4 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I'm guessing I could find out with a simple Google search but I'm lazy lol so what does the computing power even get used for?

From what I understand, basically nothing. It is used to solve an algorithm that yields coin when you successfully solve a block but other than that is useless computing.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

Just now, pyrojoe34 said:

From what I understand, basically nothing. It is used to solve an algorithm that yields coin when you successfully solve a block but other than that is useless computing.

They really should use it for something like F@H does

Man, I need to get in to mining Ethereum.  Make a few thousand dollars when it crashes down to $13 and then surge back to $316 again.  Volatile things are fun.

That's pretty deplorable. Imagine if that same power was used towards aiding the medical community instead of bringing in less a day than a part-time McDonald's employee.

19 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

If mining were basically F@H with coins being treated more like reward points for assisting in something greater instead of being generic Bitcoin greed coin #9837848, I'd be 1000% behind it. 

And this is why our economy is screwed. Making money out of nothing. Seems logical

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

And this is why our economy is screwed. Making money out of nothing. Seems logical

Complaining about literally what every government does.

21 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Its not useless at all, it keep the network running. Without mining, secure transactions wouldnt be possible. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just etherium? 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

22 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I think it helps transactions flow better because there's no central bank for cryptocurrencies. The mining part is actually a reward for helping.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hopefully all my mining electricity is covered by hydro electricity

since we're using

TORONTO HYDRO .. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, rn8686 said:

Its not useless at all, it keep the network running. Without mining, secure transactions wouldnt be possible. 

Right but confirmations and data exchange don't take any computing power, they just have to exist. My point is the computations and energy is wasted on useless work. They can instead make the "mining" be scientific simulations or cloud computing of some sort and reward the miners with "coin" based on the work they do. The transaction sustaining network would still exist but the computations would not be wasted on useless number crunching.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

As long as they have renewable source, it's totally fine.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

On 6/29/2017 at 10:32 AM, Ginger137 said:

tWh per year, here's a chart from the Digiconomist’s article, quoted by futurism

Ah, thank you, this is vital information.  After all, no one wants their speedometer to tell them they're travelling at 50 miles per

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 7/1/2017 at 8:57 AM, Mooshi said:

If mining were basically F@H with coins being treated more like reward points for assisting in something greater instead of being generic Bitcoin greed coin #9837848, I'd be 1000% behind it. 

But reward people with what? Bitcoins aren't created out of thin air at will they need to be mathematically calculated and that is what bitcoin mining or ethereum mining is. F@H is just another mathematical set of calculations being executed on a GPU/CPU that produces a result, one is used for science and one is used for the literal creation of the currency which has to be done.  

On 6/30/2017 at 2:57 PM, Mooshi said:

Look into CureCoin :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 07/01/2017 at 4:42 AM, huilun02 said:

Well as long as people can get their gaming cards

I tried to buy a 580 today. Literally everything that isn't sold out has a >100% markup. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy a 580+1700x bundle than to buy the card by itself

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

But reward people with what? Bitcoins aren't created out of thin air at will they need to be mathematically calculated and that is what bitcoin mining or ethereum mining is. F@H is just another mathematical set of calculations being executed on a GPU/CPU that produces a result, one is used for science and one is used for the literal creation of the currency which has to be done.  

one small difference between ethereum and bitcoin: yes bitcoins are created by solving the algorithm and you get a reward when you or the pool your in solves it, ethereum on the other hand rewards you for borrowing your hardware to perform/calculate all transactions achieved in the block chain

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

one small difference between ethereum and bitcoin: yes bitcoins are created by solving the algorithm and you get a reward when you or the pool your in solves it, ethereum on the other hand rewards you for borrowing your hardware to perform/calculate all transactions achieved in the block chain

Yea very similar but both are totally reliant on miners for the system to actually function; create, verify, processes, audit. None of those functions can work without miners in both Eth and BTC and it isn't going to change when moving to Proof of Stake either, but at least with that bucket loads of power won't be used.

To say mining is a waste of time and resources is a bit misinformed about how these work. I like the idea of Proof of Work a bit more than Proof of Stake (rich gets richer etc) so getting miners to do more productive computation does sound great but that would make it far too hard to control the difficulty of computation.

How mining works

Today, ethereum's mining process is almost the same as bitcoin’s.

For each block of transactions, miners use computers to repeatedly and very quickly guess answers to a puzzle until one of them wins.

More specifically, the miners will run the block’s unique header metadata (including timestamp and software version) through a hash function (which will return a fixed-length, scrambled string of numbers and letters that looks random), only changing the 'nonce value', which impacts the resulting hash value.

If the miner finds a hash that matches the current target, the miner will be awarded ether and broadcast the block across the network for each node to validate and add to their own copy of the ledger. If miner B finds the hash, miner A will stop work on the current block and repeat the process for the next block.

http://www.coindesk.com/information/ethereum-mining-works/

On 29.6.2017 at 6:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

To all you complaining, I think it's referring to hardcore users who have like 10+ GPUs steup, but I could be wrong.  Also, there is a glaring issue here:

over what time span? xD that's an amount of energy, not power.

For the same time span Cyprus consumes that much energy I guess. But I agree with you, the lack of a time period is a little strange.