Is this standered practice for an austrailian isp to do

gibbsy81

So our isp for our new house dodo decided to tell us this week (4days till we move in) that we wont have phone and internet for 1 week after moving in and they asked dad to fax all the sales contracts to prove he is buying the house so they could connect it on settlement dad in the politest possible way in the heat of the moment said no.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if you had mobile phone reception in the area where your moving but sadly the area where we are moving has flaky mobile reception.

Now my question is this normal practise for Australian Telco's.

I'v moved house in australia but that was when I was 7 years old.

I am not sure but we had to get a new internet plan and phone plan.

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

I can't say for sure though when I bought my house 14 years ago they didn't need anything. I did it all over the phone.   I would have thought that worst case scenario they would want some ID.  When they hook up the phone and net the system will tell them if that address already has an active connection or not. what else do they need to know.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm not sure about the proof of purchase through a sales contract but it common of them to fuck you around with connection dates.

They have really bad standards of practise there.. I should know.. I worked there! You need to fax the sales contract with your name, contact number, reference number and bug them constantly to chase up your FAx or they simply forget to do anything for you.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

So our isp for our new house dodo decided to tell us this week (4days till we move in) that we wont have phone and internet for 1 week after moving in and they asked dad to fax all the sales contracts to prove he is buying the house so they could connect it on settlement dad in the politest possible way in the heat of the moment said no.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if you had mobile phone reception in the area where your moving but sadly the area where we are moving has flaky mobile reception.

Now my question is this normal practise for Australian Telco's.

Don't go with Dodo, not exaggerating when I say it is the worst in the country.

Where exactly are you?

Yep Dodo must have to be one of the worst in Australia. Have you looked into another company I have been with internode for over 10yr and have not got any complaints they host Bf4 server amongst many other games, when looking for an isp if your a gamer you should consider the total package that is supplied not just the price.

Yep Dodo must have to be one of the worst in Australia. Have you looked into another company I have been with internode for over 10yr and have not got any complaints they host Bf4 server amongst many other games, when looking for an isp if your a gamer you should consider the total package that is supplied not just the price.

You dont go with someone who gives bandwidth free game servers because

a) Games use next to nothing

b )(fucking sunglasses emote changing my formatting) internode speeds are trash without NBN

c) their servers are full of morons and have no moderation, only a report policy which bans people weeks later

d) for the same price optus/telstra will give better speeds and data allowances

Yep you live in Melbourne and don't seem to have an idea what its like for the rest of us not in a capital. I don't have nbn, looks like they won't be rolling it out here ever, not everyone lives in a capital and as such internode or Telstra is about the best we can do it might not be the best available in Australia but not everyone can get those services. And as for the game servers its just something handy as was the tunnelling service they had for WoW for a while it really depends on your location on which is the better isp and while internode may suck for you it doesn't suck for everyone. 

Don't go with Dodo, not exaggerating when I say it is the worst in the country.

Where exactly are you?

Melbourne Australia.

That doesn't sound right, whether you're in Australia or another country. Simply say no. Have you payed any set up fee's? If not, go to another ISP. If you have, make sure they don't charge you for the time your internet isn't connected.

If they continue to give you trouble about this, threaten them that you'll be speaking to the telecommunications ombudsman to question the violation of your rights to privacy and as a consumer.

I would go to another. I'm sure Australia has alternate options for an ISP. Companies and individuals think that you're naive to your rights, you have to make them believe that your in the know.

Good luck.

sadly in the area we are moving to the only other option is telstra and if you have delt with them you would know they are theifs.

sadly in the area we are moving to the only other option is telstra and if you have delt with them you would know they are theifs.

I know your story, but for me and most of the people I have spoken to IRL they have been really good, so I am wondering if your issues was more of a one off.

I don't have nbn, looks like they won't be rolling it out here ever,

I live rural too, The latest iteration of the coalitions NBN plan will be to roll out in the areas with the slowest speeds first, however the plan is still to role out minimum 25Mb/s to every Australian.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Melbourne Australia.

optus cable is probably your best choice in this situation.

I know your story, but for me and most of the people I have spoken to IRL they have been really good, so I am wondering if your issues was more of a one off.

They have been taking from us even after we canceled the service was most of the time down there customer service can't even speak proper English you spend hours on hold trying to get something as simple as the internet is down there prices are too high.

They stressed my grandparents by taking money from their bank they edited a phone conv by cutting out the bits where the agent says details about the plan the rerecords those parts and adds then to the recording.

I could go on forever but I don't want to.

optus cable is probably your best choice in this situation.

If it was available I have it atm.

I live in Melbourne and I haven't seen any trouble. I don't know where you're moving to but it must be pretty close to city boundries, or on the west side, i don't know which. I'm eastern suburbs and are with iinet. They're reliable, they're cheap; they don't have the most extensive speeds or data plans, and they use the Optus network. Their customer service is really good.

Good as in if you ring them up, you talk to a real person, 100% of the time. They usually know what they're doing, and are friendly and are often apologetic when things stuff up. If it's their fault, they don't charge you extra at all. They'll fix dodgy connection, bad wiring, etc usually for free. They have a data tracker so you can see how much data you use. Also 'freezone' is not part of the download limit (stuff like iview, itunes and other similar services) 

We were with them for 5 years so we received a complementary BobLite (modem). It was defective so we sent it back, and they gave us a fully fledged Bob (worth $10 a month)

Sucks you don't get optus where you are. Don't know what i can do, but If i could choose an ISP, i'd go iinet