SNES Class (Mini) - 21 games - dual controllers in the box

GoodBytes
3 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Why do so many care about these things? Owning the original is way better, and if that isn't doable for you for whatever reason, emulation is the way to go. You can even use the original controllers. SNES9X has other cool shit too like netplay and filters, not to mention it can actually play the full library, not just 21 games... Hell, the Wii has a much MUCH larger selection of SNES games and if I'm not mistaken, so does the Wii U and 3DS. There are so many damn ways to play these games. Sure, it's cool to see these old consoles get some love, but the amount of hype these consoles are getting is just beyond reason, they're doing literally nothing new that you haven't been able to do before, for AGES. Hell, millions of years ago I was emulating SNES and NES on my first PC which ran Windows ME and had a 566mhz Celeron.

I also honestly don't get the whole "collector" appeal either. Isn't owning an ACTUAL NES and SNES way better than this little emulation box?

If anyone has ANY kind of reason that makes these actually worth buying, lemme know. My ears and mind are open.

1. Getting a working order, nice looking, good condition SNES is quite expensive. Let alone the high profile AAA games, which this system has. If you are not a collector, this is quiet an expense.
  2. On the PC you don't have the original controllers. At best, you get imitations which aren't exactly the same. The game controller is as important as the game console, as it is part of the experience and the games are specifically designed for the controller of the system.
  3. Emulations of the SNES is far from perfect, and due to the age of the emulator and system development has slowed down. Nintendo emulator are the best in ensuring the best replicated performance, experience, and not graphical glitches or anything, as they have all the plans and details on how the system works. Emulators are mostly a guessing game. And as a result, you have to play with a bunch of emulators, even switch between emulators for different games to get the best experience, and many times it isn't perfect either. I think only the NES has excellent emulation. The SNES is good for games that have no special added chips. Many of the high profile games (which I recall some costing 100-120$ Canadian (and that was early 90's money), due to the added memory and usually added hardware in them) don't have perfect emulation.
  4. Easy setup, ready to play package. No powerful system needed for emulation. Example, despite having a Core i7 930, 6GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 680, SSD (yes, very old system but destroy SNES speeds, and still fairly capable system if we ignore the GPU, because Intel was and pretty much sleeping all those years), Yoshi’s Island has performance issues on most emulators.
  5. Retro, and a little home decoration.
  6. Not legit. (emulator is, not the ROMs)

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  1. Getting a working order, nice looking, good condition SNES is quite expensive. Let alone the high profile AAA games, which this system has. If you are not a collector, this is quiet an expense.
  2. On the PC you don't have the original controllers. At best, you get imitations which aren't exactly the same. The game controller is as important as the game console, as it is part of the experience and the games are specifically designed for the controller of the system.
  3. Emulations of the SNES is far from perfect, and due to the age of the emulator and system development has slowed down. Nintendo emulator are the best in ensuring the best replicated performance, experience, and not graphical glitches or anything, as they have all the plans and details on how the system works. Emulators are mostly a guessing game. And as a result, you have to play with a bunch of emulators, even switch between emulators for different games to get the best experience, and many times it isn't perfect either. I think only the NES has excellent emulation. The SNES is good for games that have no special added chips. Many of the high profile games (which I recall some costing 100-120$ Canadian (and that was early 90's money), due to the added memory and usually added hardware in them) don't have perfect emulation.
  4. Easy setup, ready to play package. No powerful system needed for emulation. Example, despite having a Core i7 930, 6GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 680, SSD (yes, very old system but destroy SNES speeds, and still fairly capable system if we ignore the GPU, because Intel was and pretty much sleeping all those years), Yoshi’s Island has performance issues on most emulators.
  5. Retro, and a little home decoration.
  6. Not legit. (emulator is, not the ROMs)

You do get the original controllers on PC. There are adapters that let you use the original SNES controllers... I've had one for the N64 controller since 09 and it's wonderful. I'm actually planning on going on a controller adapter buying spree for every system I play. They're cheap too.

Far from perfect? Well, in over a decade of playing the hell out of SNES9X I've yet to see anything go south. I'd actually argue it's a more enjoyable experience than the original. And yeah, I'm sure someone will bring up a few rare cases where it fails, but I'm pretty sure the SNES classic wouldn't even have the game that had the problem anyway so it comes out more than even. I mean, 21 games? Really? NO CHRONO TRIGGER??????? I mean, that list of games is definitely full of great games, but it leaves a whole lot to be desired. So anyway, while I won't call SNES9x perfect, saying it's "far from perfect" is just exaggerating.

Powerful system needed for SNES emulation? Well I mean, sure, my good ol' 1GHZ Pentium iii Dell was pretty respectable at one time, but I wouldn't exactly call it powerful. :P

I'll give you the whole price thing. But on the other hand.... Emulation is free (or cheap depending on if you buy accessories to improve the experience). Legit? Psh........... I totally rip my own ROMs! No really, I do! I promise! xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer