Case with an optical drive bay or nah?

RamboPenguin
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
2 minutes ago, RamboPenguin said:

I bought the copy of windows on a disc, and I don't think I have a flash drive that's big enough to transfer it over.

You bought the license, the actual files are free and can be downloaded from Microsoft (or you can rip the ISO from the disc and burn it to a USB drive). You only need an 8GB USB drive. If you don't have one, you can buy one for $10 or so. I wouldn't buy a case just for an optical drive to install Windows once then sit there doing nothing, especially when there's easy alternatives to using a disk

Should I go out of my way to find a case that can have the optical drive (DVD drive) in the front? Or should I just plug it in when I actually need it. I pretty much only use it to install Windows.

Based on your answer to the question above, which case?

With optical drive bay:

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Series

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854019&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

MasterCase 5

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119316&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Without optical drive bay:

MasterBox 5 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDUVOGI/ref=twister_B01N6EV5XF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Why even use it to install Windows? Use a USB drive for that. 

I bought the copy of windows on a disc, and I don't think I have a flash drive that's big enough to transfer it over.

2 minutes ago, RamboPenguin said:

You bought the license, the actual files are free and can be downloaded from Microsoft (or you can rip the ISO from the disc and burn it to a USB drive). You only need an 8GB USB drive. If you don't have one, you can buy one for $10 or so. I wouldn't buy a case just for an optical drive to install Windows once then sit there doing nothing, especially when there's easy alternatives to using a disk

I prefer having a 5.25" bay, but if you're looking for an actual optical drive, think on how often you're going to use it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Very helpful. Thanks a lot. 

As long as you have an 8GB flash drive you can install Windows. It's much more resourceful to have an 8GB + flash drive than an ODD, IMO. I had an optical drive that I swore by forever (up until I bought an NZXT S340 a couple months ago) and just made sure to rip all DVDs I wanted to keep in digital form over to my PC before giving it away with my old case to a friend.

I'd highly recommend investing in a nice USB 3.0 flash drive of 16GB of more like, for example, my Sandisk Extreme Pro.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

As long as you have an 8GB flash drive you can install Windows. It's much more resourceful to have an 8GB + flash drive than an ODD, IMO. I had an optical drive that I swore by forever (up until I bought an NZXT S340 a couple months ago) and just made sure to rip all DVDs I wanted to keep in digital form over to my PC before giving it away with my old case to a friend.

I'd highly recommend investing in a nice USB 3.0 flash drive of 16GB of more like, for example, my Sandisk Extreme Pro.

What do you think of the S340? I was thinking about buying it but I think the glossy finish would attract too much dust (something my house is very prone to).

Just now, RamboPenguin said:

Very helpful. Thanks a lot. 

Buying a USB optical drive is also an option, though if it's literally only going to be used for installing Windows, you may as well just connect your existing one with the side panel off them disconnect it when you're done. Still, would advise buying a USB drive, downloading Windows (or ripping the ISO from the disk) and use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to make a USB Windows installer. Boot from it, enter the license key that's on the case for the Windows disk, then you can reformat the USB drive (may need to use something like SDFormatter to get the original size back) and attach it to your keys or something as something to move files around if you need to. I have a 64GB USB drive on my keys with a bunch of TV shows and Movies in case I'm ever in a place without internet and want to watch something on my laptop. 

I personally hate disks so I have a set of USB sticks with various OSes on them (I think I have installers for Windows 7, 8, 10 and OSX Sierra and Mountain Lion in my "tech" bag). 

6 minutes ago, RamboPenguin said:

What do you think of the S340? I was thinking about buying it but I think the glossy finish would attract too much dust (something my house is very prone to).

The S340 is a nice case for air cooling (radiator support is lacking somewhat). If it's a glossy black, it will attract (and show) dust and finger prints a lot. If it's a white version, dust and finger prints won't show as much. If you just keep a cloth nearby, it only takes a few seconds to give it a quick wipedown to remove dust. Removing finger prints may need a plastic cleaner as just cloths can spread the oil. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Buying a USB optical drive is also an option, though if it's literally only going to be used for installing Windows, you may as well just connect your existing one with the side panel off them disconnect it when you're done. Still, would advise buying a USB drive, downloading Windows (or ripping the ISO from the disk) and use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to make a USB Windows installer. Boot from it, enter the license key that's on the case for the Windows disk, then you can reformat the USB drive (may need to use something like SDFormatter to get the original size back) and attach it to your keys or something as something to move files around if you need to. I have a 64GB USB drive on my keys with a bunch of TV shows and Movies in case I'm ever in a place without internet and want to watch something on my laptop. 

I personally hate disks so I have a set of USB sticks with various OSes on them (I think I have installers for Windows 7, 8, 10 and OSX Sierra and Mountain Lion in my "tech" bag). 

I have a few 8gb usbs laying around already so it works for me.

24 minutes ago, RamboPenguin said:

8gb flash drives are cheap. Also I have the Pro case and it's nice.

1 hour ago, RamboPenguin said:

It attracts dust but I sit mine on my floor and don't pay an incredible amount of attention to it. I do love it though. Much better airflow than my old Nanoxia DS4, much nicer appearance, I do miss one of my USB ports but the case itself is much more polished in many ways.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Do you use CDs - Yes - Buy it

Do you not use CDs - No - Don't buy it

Spoiler

Didn't even flow chart it.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.